Why could Brady Murray to play of the U.S when he is Canadian ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
He is born in Canada.
He dad is maybe going to be Team Canada World Cup head coach...

It's hard to believe that his son is going to play for the U.S when he is Canadian.

I know that it's not because his father is going to be Team Canada head Coach that Brady cannot decide to choose the country he want to represent, but it's just weird..

and more, Murray attented Team Canada summer camp.. Hum....

Is it because B.Murray was not invited by Team Canada?

Hum...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not too sure actually.. interesting side story though: I went to school with Brady in Calgary for 3 or 4 years and actually played hockey with him for a couple of seasons in Peewee. He was always one of the worst cheap shot artists and I was glad I was playing with him and not against him.. :)

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
Is he a dual citizen?? He must be if he has the option to play for the US. Is one of his parents american, or was he born in the US, or did he live there for a long period??

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
habsfansam said:
Is he a dual citizen?? He must be if he has the option to play for the US. Is one of his parents american, or was he born in the US, or did he live there for a long period??
I believe he moved there 5 years ago.. that would probably make him a dual citizen.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SpezNc said:
He is born in Canada.
He dad is maybe going to be Team Canada World Cup head coach...

It's hard to believe that he is son is going to play of the when he is Canadian.

I know that it's because his father is going to be Team Canada head Coach that Brady cannot decide to choose the country he want to represent, but it's just weird..

and more, Murray attented Team Canada summer camp.. Hum....

Is it because B.Murray was not invited by Team Canada?

Hum...

Is this actually the case? I hadn't heard Brady Murray was a candidate to play for the U.S. He's a dual citizen, but I didn't know he was on the radar. He'd look good with Parise though..........

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Is this actually the case? I hadn't heard Brady Murray was a candidate to play for the U.S. He's a dual citizen, but I didn't know he was on the radar. He'd look good with Parise though..........

I saw that on TSN...

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
SpezNc said:
I saw that on TSN...

Brady Murray, son of Los Angeles Kings coach Andy Murray, attended the Canadian team's summer development camp, but opted to play for the U.S., which guaranteed him a spot on the roster to be announced on Tuesday . . .

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
My understanding is that his intention was to play for Team Canada (thus he went to Can. development camp) but he was not going to make the team so he's opted to play for the Americans. (and I'm sure his linemate Parise nudged him in that direction)

KariyaIsGod*

It's happened before. Brett Hull is one example. Isn't Deadmarsh Canadian too?

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
KariyaIsGod said:
It's happened before. Brett Hull is one example. Isn't Deadmarsh Canadian too?

Deadmarsh was born in Canada...maybe he was raised in the U.S :dunno:

As for Brett Hull, he just dosn`t have the talent to play for the Canadians :joker:

dashripper

Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
Habs4Life said:
Just goes to show how someone from canada can betray their country without flinching (IE: Brett Hull)

He wasn't going to play for Canada so is he supposed to sit home twiddling his thumbs? He is eligible to play for The U.S. and he gets to play with his friend and linemate. I would play for Mongolia if I had a chance to play in the World's.

leafaholix*

First... Brett Hull.
Then... Adam Deadmarsh.
Now... Brady Murray.

I pitty 'em.

By the way, Deadmarsh is Canadian, born in BC, raised in BC, and still lives in BC.

His mother was American.

BCCHL inactive

I don't see this in the same light as the Brett Hull situation. Hull was cut by Team Canada, and Team USA wanted him. I can respect Hull for that.

Murray on the other hand, was going to be given the same opportunity as the rest of the players at the selection camp to make Team Canada....and he turned his nose up at it. Not only that, Andy Murray was a huge reason why Brady was even invited to the summer camp after playing Jr.A hockey in the BCHL last season...a level lower than everybody else invited.

Brady owed it to his dad and to Hockey Canada to give his effort to try to make Team Canada. I don't care if he has the technical right to play for the USA....Canada did not turn its back on Murray like they did to Brett Hull. Brady Murray turned his back on Canada.

I hope Dion Phaneuf puts Murray through the boards this Christmas (cleanly of course ;) ).

evman150*

I don't know how someone could do that. Even if I was a dual ciizen, I just don't see how it could happen. It seems almost treasonous. (Is that even a word? :P)

I don't really blame him for doing it. I guess if you can swallow sleeping with the enemy then that's your choice. I sure as hell couldn't do it. Much too proud, I guess.

leafaholix*

My problem with it is that he's got an advantage over other juniors.

He had two cracks at playing at the WJC.

It's going to be hard watching him in the red, white, and blue sweater.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Van said:
Brady owed it to his dad and to Hockey Canada to give his effort to try to make Team Canada.

QUOTE]

Then again, do you really want a guy taking up a camp roster spot if he is only there because he feels he owes his dad and hockey Canada something. He shouldn't need such motives. He should be there because he wants to be there first and foremost, taking pride in getting the chance to represent his nation. His heart is obviously else where, so this decision is better for both Murray and hockey Canada. It allows someone else a chance who doesn't need daddy and feeling the need to return a favour to be his inspirtation, and Murray gets to stay where his heart is.

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

go pierre hedin said:
He had two cracks at playing at the WJC.

Umm...Brady Murray played for Salmon Arm of the BCHL last season. He wasn't given a chance to make the team last year.

BCCHL inactive

evman150 said:
I don't know how someone could do that. Even if I was a dual ciizen, I just don't see how it could happen. It seems almost treasonous. (Is that even a word? :P)

If he is a citizen of the country, it can't be treason. The only reason I don't like Murray's decision is because he had every chance to make this team, and he wasn't willing to take it and challenge himself.

evman150*

Van said:
If he is a citizen of the country, it can't be treason

Obviously it isn't ACTUALLY treason. I just used the word for lack of a better one.

I still consider it betraying Canada, though. I have a couple of friends that are dual citizens, it really doesn't mean all that much. Even though they are dual, they are still 100% Canadian. As for the Murray kid, I don't know, but if he has lived here almost all of his life, it does seem a bit....wrong.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Some of you guys are letting your pride for your country blind your sense of reality.

I don't see how you can fault a kid for wanting to have an experience of a lifetime. This tournament will be a great experience for him, whether or not he's in the red and white, or the red, white, and blue.

Don't lay into the kid, that's not fair. He's not a traitor. He's a dual citizen, and has played just as much of his hockey in the States.

Brady deserves the opportunity to participate in this tournament, and he obviously wants to take part in it, so he took a guaranteed roster spot. Can't fault that.

leafaholix*

Van said:
Umm...Brady Murray played for Salmon Arm of the BCHL last season. He wasn't given a chance to make the team last year.
I meant once with Canada and now with the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad