Why can't a superstar team exist or is it all about money?

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
23 posts and I'm the first to mentions Unions? Do you really think the NHLPA is going to let the best players take pay cuts? What do you think a Union is going to do when some employees decide to accept lower pay and drive down the pay of everyone else? Think about it, I'll wait before I answer

Never mind Their Best Players! Any Of Their Player.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The league is concerned with parity.
Imagine if all the star players got together to play for a random team, say Nashville. There would be no glory in winning every championships every year when you face weak competition because all the best players are on your team.

Also, if I were a player, I'd rather be paid $10M and be on a regular team than being paid $2M to be on an all-star team.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
mostly-about-the-benjamins.png

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I would take a pay cut. If I were one of the top 10 players in the league, I would want to play for my favorite team and give it the best chance to win.

Depending on how you manage your money, there comes a point where the amount of money you have becomes unimportant. Taking a pay cut and ending up with 20 million at the end of my career instead of 100 million wouldn't be a huge deal to me, lol

I'd have 20 million dollars, either way me and my family are set for life.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I would take a pay cut. If I were one of the top 10 players in the league, I would want to play for my favorite team and give it the best chance to win.

Depending on how you manage your money, there comes a point where the amount of money you have becomes unimportant. Taking a pay cut and ending up with 20 million at the end of my career instead of 100 million wouldn't be a huge deal to me, lol

Somehow I doubt that, given the chance, ANY player would accept $2 million a year over $10 million over the course of their career. $9 million, sure. If you're that good a player, at $2 million, you're going to lose motivation pretty fast and your family won't be happy with you.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Lundquist is a good example. Very competetive and wants to win but when it came to his new contract he wouldnt go below 8,5 mill a year and everyone(himself included) knew it would make it hard for rangers to sign some other players the next seasons. What i dont get is why dont they just take 7 instead. He will never be able to spend all the money and he will help the team out a little bit and still be paid like the superstar he is. If u really want to win u say hey 7 or 8,5 doesnt matter to me im still superrich and it will help my team out. When they dont, everyone understands that money comes first and well thats ok but the problem is when they talk to the media the next day and say money wasnt really the important thing when everyone knows its a lie. Thats my problem with it! When ur "greedy" and have a moneyfirst mentality(which 90% of them have) its annoying when they cant admit it... Same with Subban really. Both great players but saying they wanted to stay and that was the most important thing is just stupid when money comes first for both of them and tons of other players!

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Its easy to say but if i could help the team out i would definetely take a pay cut and end up with 80 mill instead of 100 mill. 20 mill instead of 100 mill no cause thats just unfair if ur worth much more. Thats not taking a pay cut thats just beeing stupid...

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Because this isn't the NBA where you cry and run away when you can't beat your opponent so you team up with them instead to win a championship. Players in the NHL still have competitiveness they want to lead their own teams, against their rivals. Not join them and beat teams that are barely AHL calibre. The NHL would become a joke.

Imagine Ovechkin left washington to go play with Crosby in pitts ? Players have self-respect and want to earn a championship, not essentially just be handed one. Besides a lot of hockey markets would die out without franchise players and of course the NHL doesn't want that.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Generally, if your management isn't competent enough to win under the cap, there's very little likelihood they're going to spend those extra dollars very well.

For the last 5 years you could have given Toronto an extra $15M in cap space and I don't think they win a cup.

Still trying to process the fact that this is coming from a San Jose fan :help:

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Like the other guy said, union. Kariyas barely counts as the other poster said. It was abiut becoming a Ufa quicker. More money faster.

They also have a "lifesfyle" to maintain for their family.

For me it would depend on what I did outside of hockey. You cN build a lot of wealth from even one million liquid cash if you have some brains and aren't surrounded by leeches

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's about getting as much money as you can in the short career you have. You need to be able to pay for 50+ years of life with a 15 year career.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Because people inherently want what they think they are worth. Plus unions. Plus getting 50 million dollars sounds sweet. Plus ego of being at the core of a winner. Plus logistically a team controls a player for 7 years and the timing would be nearly impossible to get a team of stars together. This year's UFA class wouldn't make the playoffs. Basically everything everyone else said.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It's not. No matter how much NBSCN plays it up, for the players it's more about the money than winning.

And it did happen with Kariya to Colorado, the NHLPA didn't like it.

With the salary cap, individual players contract now have no bearing on total player compensation because they are going to get 50% of league HRR.

Historically, the PA were looking for the big deals because it changed the fundamental economics of the game. Stars getting paid more meant that a greater % of team revenues ended up with the players.

Toews & Kane's huge deals dont change anything except the allocation of the HRR from the mid tier players to the star players. It bas zero net impact to the NHLPA in total.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Believe it or not, even Teams don't want to win it all. They want to win just enough to keep us coming back. Buying tickets, beer food foam fingers. When They win Players want more money. Never mind if they win become a Dynasty.

Saddest thing I hear is from time to time is Player from the 50's and 60's having to sell their rings and hardware for money just to get by.

This is almost a direct quote from bill wirtz (it might have been pulford when he was wirtz's GM). Thank god rocky got rid of that attitude

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Most hockey players have families to support as well. So i don't blame them for going to where the money is so that their families can be set for life.

Sorry, but nowadays even a third liner makes more money in one season than the usual guy in his entire life.

Having said that, earning money > winning Cups.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
To some, it is all about winning. To others, its about money. The NHLPA wouldn't be happy if players were taking humongous pay-cuts to win.

Basically we would see those players getting freezed-out, and NHLPA would probably try to cause dissension in the locker-room of that team, to cause pressure on those who took pay-cuts to fall in line with the NHLPA.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I can pretty much guarantee you that for every player who signs somewhere for less because they care about winning there is one owner who is laughing his ass off. Not only does he get to pay his employee less it helps his team win and thus make him even more money.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Somehow I doubt that, given the chance, ANY player would accept $2 million a year over $10 million over the course of their career. $9 million, sure. If you're that good a player, at $2 million, you're going to lose motivation pretty fast and your family won't be happy with you.

I didn't say ANY player, I said that I would do it.

And I would.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Why settle for 20 million when you can have 30 million? That's what it comes down to.

Didnt Kariya and Selanne try this with the Avs and it didnt work out?

Ya, Kariya signed for 1.2 and Salanne 5.8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad