Why can't a superstar team exist or is it all about money?

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
23 posts and I'm the first to mentions Unions? Do you really think the NHLPA is going to let the best players take pay cuts? What do you think a Union is going to do when some employees decide to accept lower pay and drive down the pay of everyone else? Think about it, I'll wait before I answer

I'm genuinely curious. What could the NHLPA even do if, say, a guy like Stamkos or Ovechkin took a 1 year $1M deal to go to a heavily stacked favorite?

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Not a superstar anymore but Richards took a big cut to play with the Hawks this season. There's usually an older, big name player or two who sign cheap with a contender for another shot at the Cup every season.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Not a superstar anymore but Richards took a big cut to play with the Hawks this season. There's usually an older, big name player or two who sign cheap with a contender for another shot at the Cup every season.

He's still being paid by the Rangers, though. That $2M is just being stacked on his 6 or so mil the Rangers are cutting him. Richards is/will be one of the highest paid NHL players this season.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Lundquist is a good example. Very competetive and wants to win but when it came to his new contract he wouldnt go below 8,5 mill a year and everyone(himself included) knew it would make it hard for rangers to sign some other players the next seasons. What i dont get is why dont they just take 7 instead. He will never be able to spend all the money and he will help the team out a little bit and still be paid like the superstar he is. If u really want to win u say hey 7 or 8,5 doesnt matter to me im still superrich and it will help my team out. When they dont, everyone understands that money comes first and well thats ok but the problem is when they talk to the media the next day and say money wasnt really the important thing when everyone knows its a lie. Thats my problem with it! When ur "greedy" and have a moneyfirst mentality(which 90% of them have) its annoying when they cant admit it... Same with Subban really. Both great players but saying they wanted to stay and that was the most important thing is just stupid when money comes first for both of them and tons of other players!

See.... Salaries are about status and pride. That is the ultimate measurement of value. Like Kovalchuk wanted the $100 million contract because it is the biggest.... Not just because more $$$$$$.

And being unionized... It isn't like the other players would want Toews and Kane to have resigned for $6 million per to win more Cups. And they can't really come put and say.... We left $4 million each a year on the table so we can have a winning team. Union hates it. Saad would not be impressed if he gets $3.5 cuz Toews and Kane took $6.... Of Toews/Kane take $10.... Saad can get 5.5/6.

Anyway it does happen. Crosby took $8.7.... Coulda had whatever he wanted.

Pride matters with $$$. Alfie went to Detroit largely ot is said that the Sens insulted him with a low ball offer. $3.5 vs $5.5 million. The $1.2 million take home difference wasn't the point.... I think. It is pride and recognition.

But also money talks. If the weekly lottery jackot is $10 million it sells far less tickets then if the jackpot was $25 million. Though the difference to the change in lifestyle of the winner is not that much.... People like lotsa money..... Everyone that gets rich... Doesn't retire.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I'm genuinely curious. What could the NHLPA even do if, say, a guy like Stamkos or Ovechkin took a 1 year $1M deal to go to a heavily stacked favorite?

Cheapshot him during games? You would be upsetting your peers.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Cheapshot him during games? You would be upsetting your peers.

I meant the NHLPA itself. Like sanctions, exclusion from future voting... etc.

And please. I really doubt a player would be subjected to cheapshots by his peers because he signed a sweetheart deal.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm surprised no one has mentioned agents. They obviously want their cut to be bigger, so they probably get on players to ask for more. Really though, the players need to watch out for their own interests and I don't begrudge them one bit, especially if they haven't had a big contract yet. The career is too short and it behooves them to get what they can before they get hurt, regress, etc.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
We are in the cap era. But if the most important thing is winning. Why don't some stars take massive pay cuts to play on a dynasty team that wins every single year? Free agency fluctuates but there are multiple stars available every year. Why can't the best free agents take short term bargain contracts to stack a team of epic proportions?

Because there's life after hockey, where an extra $4-6M would be helpful, plus the risk of a career-threatening injury while on a short term deal...

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Most hockey players have families to support as well. So i don't blame them for going to where the money is so that their families can be set for life.

I think their families would still be set for life if say, they signed for $20 million vs $30 million or more. Athletes and agents are all greedy, we don't need to sugarcoat it. I'd be the same way and so would everyone else here. That doesn't mean there isn't a drive to be the best and win the cup, that's obviously important, just not as important as money to 99% of players.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010

People seem to be overrating the power of the NHLPA. It is run by the players themselves. Seems like a lot of people lack knowledge on Unions. Unions are run by their members.....People on here know nothing about Unions. It's sad really.

Last edited:

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
There is a term money isn't everything but I think on a bigger scale of things the more correct term is hockey isn't everything.

Try your hardest when you play but dont skimp out on being paid right.

Unless on the flip side of things you believe that your long term financials will benefit from being a champion of champions, although winning isn't guaranteed.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
With the players total salaries tied to NHL revenue, the NHLPA no longer has reason for grievance against players who sign undervalued deals. The NHLPA would probably rather have players sign undervalued contracts as it would mean less escrow.

The comments in regards to the NHLPA and unions have missed the different implications taking a lower salary under the uncapped system and the current CBA would effect NHL player salaries.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
And what happens when your team takes that extra $8 million you gave up and doesn't spend to the cap? Or if they sign a plug like David Clarkson for 5x5? You won't feel cheated?

No, because I had to sign the contract. I had to agree to it.

People need to realize that money isn't important to everyone. I'd be doing what I love and making millions doing it. Why not help the team I'm on by freeing up cap space to make the team better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->