Speculation: Why buying out Samuelsson really makes sense

RedWingsNow*

If he was willing to use injury to quash the possibility of a buyout, I have a hard time seeing him waiving his NTC to allow a trade. Maybe if just the right team was involved, but it's been awhile since so many stars aligned for Holland.

Unless Sammy wants to go from being a $3M a year guy to a guy who can't find a job, he should accept a trade.

Because Sammy needs to think about next year. In this respect, I understand why he doesn't accept a buyout- because he'd hit the market coming off a year with no stats and a lots of injury questions.

If the Wings could find a trading partner (maybe not very likely, to be honest) and come up with a deal
Sammy needs to ask himself: Do I want to accept the trade and have a chance to play and produce for the new team? Or do I want to spend the season in the press box or the ECHL and have no stats in two years to bargain on.

RedWingsNow*

If it keeps us from signing Cleary to a new 3 year deal, sign me up. With respect to what they've done for this team in the past, I'm looking forward to see our forward group not involving anyone of Cleary, Sammy and Bert in 14/15.. The problem isn't that Sammy will be a complete waste(probably 15 goals), but that he's gonna take ice time away from someone else.

Even if Samuelssuck did score 15 goals, he will be a complete waste -- because that's time stolen from Nyquist and Tatar.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If it keeps us from signing Cleary to a new 3 year deal, sign me up. With respect to what they've done for this team in the past, I'm looking forward to see our forward group not involving anyone of Cleary, Sammy and Bert in 14/15.. The problem isn't that Sammy will be a complete waste(probably 15 goals), but that he's gonna take ice time away from someone else.

With Sammy you can keep him on the LTIR and spend his cap space. Can't do that with Danny boy. Same deal with Bert, spend his cap hit with him on LTIR. Helm? Remains to be seen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Unless Sammy wants to go from being a $3M a year guy to a guy who can't find a job, he should accept a trade.

Because Sammy needs to think about next year. In this respect, I understand why he doesn't accept a buyout- because he'd hit the market coming off a year with no stats and a lots of injury questions.

If the Wings could find a trading partner (maybe not very likely, to be honest) and come up with a deal
Sammy needs to ask himself: Do I want to accept the trade and have a chance to play and produce for the new team? Or do I want to spend the season in the press box or the ECHL and have no stats in two years to bargain on.

Sammy will be turning 37 this December, so he'll be staring at 38 next year...guy might not be caring much beyond this season. We might not like it, but I think there is a possibility he wants to just end his career here.

If he's in the lineup, I think the hope has to be that he's getting 12 mins a night on the fourth line. Maybe we could try running Z, D, and Weiss out there on separate lines with Sammy in the lineup, but...ugh. Yeah, I'm looking forward to these guys being gone, too. They hinder our roster flexibility while eating up a chunk of cap space.

edit: And add Tootoo to the list. I like the guy, but I'm just not sure he has a notable part to play under Babcock.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
So Sammy allegedly wasnt bought out because he was too hurt but now we cant LITR because he's too healthy? :shakehead

RedWingsNow*

I think it's a mistake to accept that the Wings would have bought out Sammy when we have a post-season quote from Holland saying the team will be better next year with a healthy Sammy and Bertuzzi

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I think it's a mistake to accept that the Wings would have bought out Sammy when we have a post-season quote from Holland saying the team will be better next year with a healthy Sammy and Bertuzzi

It was stated by reliable sources that the Wings wanted to buy him out but did not because he would have disputed it on grounds of injury.

But hey, have it your way.

RedWingsNow*

It was stated by reliable sources that the Wings wanted to buy him out but did not because he would have disputed it on grounds of injury.

No, it was SPECULATED by Red Wings reporters that Samuelsson was a CANDIDATE, but perhaps not, because he MIGHT dispute it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No, it was SPECULATED by Red Wings reporters that Samuelsson was a CANDIDATE, but perhaps not, because he MIGHT dispute it.

And it was also IMPOSSIBLE to do, SPECULATED or NOT, because of NHL RULES.

But you still want to keep it as an option for your baseless speculations. :cry:

Wake up man, it's 2013, not 2003. Then you could to anything, and throw anybody anywhere and pay anything for anybody. Now there's some restrictions, like salary cap. I hope you have heard about it. :help:

RedWingsNow*

And it was also IMPOSSIBLE to do, SPECULATED or NOT, because of NHL RULES.

But you still want to keep it as an option for your baseless speculations. :cry:

Wake up man, it's 2013, not 2003. Then you could to anything, and throw anybody anywhere and pay anything for anybody. Now there's some restrictions, like salary cap. I hope you have heard about it. :help:

How can you say it was impossible. Have you seen the report that says Samuelsson was ABSOLUTELY injured?
No, you haven't.
You've seen the report that says MAYBE Samuelsson was injured.

Why do you wish to pretend that there is no way to dump Samuelsson?

Why are Wings fans pretending that Holland wanted to dump Sammy but couldn't?

Reports also speculated Bertuzzi and Tootoo were candidates for buyouts, but they weren't bought out.

I wonder why? Is it because it was, as you say, IMPOSSIBLE?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

This. Between Khan and other reliable sources, it was clear that Samuelsson would have been bought out had he not had the injury argument. And going forward, contrary to the hopes of many, it's extremely unlikely the Wings put Samuelsson on LTIR (unless he is truly still injured come September/October, but it sounds like he'll be ready to go) or otherwise bury him somewhere in the minors. I do think that it comes down to Samuelsson or Cleary. If the Wings are able to somehow move Sammy, they'll sign Cleary. Looks like that'll be tough to do though.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

This conveniently ignores the fact that those same reporters bring us a very, very large percentage of what we know about the Wings' offseason plans on any given year. They're usually right when it comes to this stuff. More importantly, they didn't term it speculation; you did.

I don't see any reason to doubt the factual content of their reporting. Their opinions can be off the mark, but they're pretty good about bracketing that stuff off as opinion work.

If you need Holland quotes to believe anything about the team, I think you'll find yourself dissatisfied and behind the curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad