Why are we still here?

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I don't like calling people names. We are not school bullies. I'm looking forward for us sucking like crazy and drafting high.

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
grew up a habs fan
spent some cherished childhood times watching games with my grandfather, who passed away when i was still young

irrational emotional connection to the bleu blanc rouge runs deep, and keeps me coming back despite no other rational reason to spend any time on such a poorly run business that has delivered a mediocre-at-best product for over 2 decades.

but as bad as the late 90's early 2000's were, these past few years with the arrogance and incompetence of the GM/Owner have really pushed me to the brink.

a matter of time now before the link is fully broken and the negative emotional connection to the brand overwhelms the deep rooted positive ones.

Molson is undertaking a great case study in how to destroy a brand.

MB is destroying the team and Molson is destroying the brand.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Honest question.

Why are you still a Habs fan? What keeps you around?

I’m starting to seriously question my fandom to this franchise after the events of this week, and the rumours about Lefebvre getting promoted. For the first time in my life, I’ve considered leaving this team in the dust.

The owner is clearly as incompetent as the GM, and the indication right now is that isn’t changing any time soon ...
Still around? Why ?

Habit, Tradition.

They cannot and will not compete in this league. So I guess Im still a fan......but an uninterested one. Not at all compelled to watch.

There is an expansion team far more entertaining and playing way better hockey than the Habs have played in years.

I watched five periods of the Knights late last night.
Three periods of Habs all season.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I've been a Habs fan ever since I was old enough to stay up on a Saturday night to watch the last two periods in black and white on Radio-Canada. It's a hard habit to break when you've been at it for so long, but I gotta admit, my tolerance is running low. I get more enjoyment watching other teams now and that's sad.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Pierre Boivin made it "cool" to be a Habs fan. Molson makes it a chore

My favourite era as a Habs fan too young to remember anything before 1993, the 07-12 Habs era was the most fun for me.

I loved the high skill that would be showcased by Kovalev & Subban. To me that’s what hockey is all about.

Not GRIND DEEZ GUYZ

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ive probably watched 50 games this year, usually watch 95% of them+all PO's. I don't really care for them. I watch it because I like Chucky, Gally, Mete, Hudon, Scherby, Lekhonen but for the rest... I couldn't give a crap.

I just watch hockey now and I enjoy it a lot, though it's not the same frustration/love/hate enjoyment i have that the Habs give me. I'm not emotionally invested as I am usually with the Habs.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
She's Polish, maybe he just throws darts on a map of eastern Europe and follows where the dart lands? "Hmm, Krakow, okey dokey, time to fill up my aeroplane, let's find a Polish girl!" The tricky part is if the dart lands on a border, that means 2 girls.

H9lR2Tp.gif

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Take a step back and ask yourself if it's the social media (here, twitter etc) that is taking away from your enjoyment more than the team itself. Last year we had 103 points and I don't recall enjoying it very much. My wife who doesn't follow the Habs except for the games, was blissfully on the bandwagon up until we lost to the Rangers.
As a kid growing up we didn't have this kind of 24/7 behind the scenes chat.
Serious question...does being "in the know" actually make fans happier?

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Take a step back and ask yourself if it's the social media (here, twitter etc) that is taking away from your enjoyment more than the team itself. Last year we had 103 points and I don't recall enjoying it very much. My wife who doesn't follow the Habs except for the games, was blissfully on the bandwagon up until we lost to the Rangers.

There’s been negativity on this forum and other platforms for a long time, it’s never impacted my enjoyment of the team.

I’ve been here for over 10 years, and this is the first time that this board has been so unanimously on the same page that this team is broken.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

No.

Its the GM and owner and the team they have built.

Knowing in September that the team is gonna suck all year and has no chance of a Cup.....ever.

But that was a nice try Marc. ;)

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Ignorance isn’t bliss. It just means less disappointment/frustration when things go bad - as they do - because you never saw it coming and you don’t know why.

Being “in the know” means deeper understanding and with that comes higher highs and lower lows. I think the enjoyment of hockey is sweeter that way. In other words, if you “know” your team is good it’s great, if you know your team is bad it’s miserable.

Social media is another discussion altogether.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Don't worry guys:

That guy is something else. Brings stupidity to a whole New level. Is it true he was a Habs scout a while ago?!

I mean it's quite easy... Answer this question Grant..

What has MB ADDED to the team he inherited? Now do the same exercice with Yzerman and Poile.. The conclusion is easy.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Don't worry guys:

@Grant McCagg aka McHack

Maybe you should look at where they are each trending...

And comparing Poile's entire tenure? He built from an expansion draft in a cash strapped market, whereas MB inherited a perennial 100 points team (that was missing its MVP) and turned it into crap despite being able to spend to the cap limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad