Why are we not contenders this year ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Exactly.

Remember that year Carolina won the cup?

First of all, that could, and maybe should, have been us.

The team coming out the east this year could very well be a team like that, and then in the finals, who knows? This team would have motivation in the finals. 20 years and counting since the last cup, some vets looking to win for the first time, some guys in their prime looking at their chance at history and some kids looking at winning early. Dominating goalie...

Anybody else than Boston or Pittsburgh making it to the finals has to be a cinderella story, and it is not too far fetched to think that overall, we're REALLY the third best team in the conference at the moment.

That being said, winning the Cup would be difficult this year unless the West produces a cinderella story too, but they have many very strong teams.

I think Tampa is better than us. With a healthy Stamkos and a present MSL.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think Tampa is better than us. With a healthy Stamkos and a present MSL.

I like our chances against Boston & Pittsburgh better than Tampa has against those teams. But they'd probably beat us in a 7 game series. Does that make us better than them or not?

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
We need to add a top-six forward who can play in the dirty areas and be a net front presence while, at the same time, need to releave ourselves of some of our loose parts who are supposed to be top-six forwards.

We could trade for these pieces but I don't think anyone, fan, player, or management, is looking for a deep run followed by years of mediocrity because we sold the farm. Our prospect pool is improving but I wouldn't call it deep.

We need another top-3 defensemen so we don't need to lean on Markov/Subban as much but we can't afford to sell the farm to get them. Again, our needs our specific as we need someone who can be effective at both ends of the ice, not just someone to stay at home or help the offense.

As good as any team in the East is, the West is that much better. Getting to the SCF for an Eastern Conference team is difficult but there is no one that scares us. Beating the western team who gets there as well is a whole different beast. Anaheim, LA, Chicago, St. Louis, San Jose... pick your poison.

At the same time, the only player in our lineup that should scare teams in the playoffs this year is Price and we don't scare any other team in the East either. Despite the East being wide open, it is anyone teams to win, it's not as though we're the favorites.

Lastly, coaching. Nothing else really needs to be said here.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
We are a team built to win one PO round and then either collapse in the 2nd or get squashed in the conf final.

No way that we can win a final or a conf this year, the only teams capable are the pens, bruins and I'd even say that Tampa as better odds than both of these teams.

oh and coaching has nothing to do with it.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Its pretty easy to counter the Habs.. Like seriously.

We are already small and have a lot of trouble to score.. Just put your best defenseman duo to cover Pacioretty and plays physical on DD and they are out of the equation. Plek will get defensive role again.. Will probably play with Gio and Moen. So its gonna be the same story again. We wont score many goals. Game is too tight and physical for our small top 6 to be effective.

Maybe Price will steal a couple of games with the way he's been playing this season but we are heading for an early exit again.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
In my opinion a LOT of our wins this year have been flukes. I'm not against adding a Moulson but I wouldn't bet the farm on a big trade so we can make a go at it. We could trade Eller and Markov but that's it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Big holes in the lineup
Terrible offseason moves that exacerbated our problems
Bad coaching
Lack of size in the lineup

Those are some of the reasons...

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
Montreal might have been a contender this year with a better offseason and without a panic-change of the system to dump-and-chase. Unfortunately they took a giant step back instead.

As it is they might win a round on goaltending.

Well, the playoffs are a crapshoot and worse teams win series against better teams all the time, but barring a serious turnaround, the Habs are going to be one of the worst-playing teams in the playoffs coming in so I wouldn't put too much money on them.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
1) we can't score even strength
2) playoffs the refs put the whistles away so fewer pp's
3) when things get tight physically the tabs will wilt, our top 6 can't compete physically.
4) you can only hope for beastly goaltending for so long

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
1) we can't score even strength
2) playoffs the refs put the whistles away so fewer pp's
3) when things get tight physically the tabs will wilt, our top 6 can't compete physically.
4) you can only hope for beastly goaltending for so long

Man, it's the same story but some people think there will be a different ending. If you can't score even strength and are too small, you lose. It's that simple. Then add the fact that the coach is an idiot and I'm willing to put a lot of money on the Habs not making out of the 2nd round.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
We aren't that far off but we aren't one player way either...
Trying to go for it this year would cripple our future even if we have a chance but realistically I don't see us beating 2 of BOS, PIT,TB in a 7 game serie and even if we do I can't see us beating one of STL, CHI, SJ, LA on top of it.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Only reason we might get past a round in the playoffs is Carey Price. Too small, soft, bad coaching.

True. But Carey doesn't score goals. He may win a game or two, but hard to win in the playoffs if your team can't score and plays a weak ass "system"

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Fan base need to accept we arent contenders yet but we need to give Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Subban, Price some playoff experience and let them grow in a winning environnement, unlike Edmonton

We just don't realize how lucky exactly we are to count on three young franchise players in Price, Galchenyuk and Subban. Many many teams (Buffalo, Carolina, Detroit, New Jersey, ...) don't even have one and would give the sky to land just one of them.

MaxPac deserves to be on that list.

His wrist shot is world class.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Montreal might have been a contender this year with a better offseason and without a panic-change of the system to dump-and-chase. Unfortunately they took a giant step back instead.

As it is they might win a round on goaltending.

Well, the playoffs are a crapshoot and worse teams win series against better teams all the time, but barring a serious turnaround, the Habs are going to be one of the worst-playing teams in the playoffs coming in so I wouldn't put too much money on them.

Yep.

... like signing Jagr over Briere. :help:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I like how Gionta, one of our best playoff goal scorers, is a reason we won't go anywhere in the playoffs.

A healthy Gionta could have beaten Anderson.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Hmm, we are small yes. Soft, no. I didn't see our team bend over and become sheepish once this season, even against big physical machines. I mean, you look at Gallagher play, would anyone on the bench stop taking hits after seeing that kid in the crease? No. And they aren't. Our only soft forward is Bourque.

Won't be as much of a factor as most think, especially since a lot of our small forwards got a 2 weeks break. Plus, they can be hard to play against, what with the pain in the bum forecheck we can apply (please Therrien!).

We have a moderate amount of skill. This is where we lack the most, as we have few solid offensive threats, and fewer playoff approved ones. And real threats are checked very closely in the playoffs. Subban is going to have to raise his play to a level he never hit for us to win consistently. Markov too, as the playoffs were never where he shined the most.

Our defense is adequate, I guess. We have a very strong goaltender. That's worth a LOT.

My evaluation is that our team is not a contender. However, it's in the glut of 4-5 teams that can surprise, and a Conference finals wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Man, it's the same story but some people think there will be a different ending. If you can't score even strength and are too small, you lose. It's that simple. Then add the fact that the coach is an idiot and I'm willing to put a lot of money on the Habs not making out of the 2nd round.

you forgot the same some people will say " but we won the division last year and were better than the bruins in the regular season". The same people who keep saying " wait for the playoffs where Briere goes all beastly".

We are an aphysical perimeter team that can't score 5/5 and have some glaring deficiencies on the back end. Can price steal a series? Sure. Can he steal 3 or 4 in a row, I dont think so ( but I would love to be wrong).

I still do not ( despite trying) understand the people who say that the habs are not soft, like somehow saying it makes it less obvious. I've said for years, I WANT people to mention how small and how soft the habs are EVERY chance they get. Its the only way things change and if it even gives out GM a moment's pause about signing another Briere, its an investment worth making.

We are decidely less soft than last year, but there are still long ways to go before we drop the label completely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad