Why are we not contenders this year ?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
With the trade deadline looming, how come we are not considered contenders ? We have adequate pieces and we could go bolster our roster. Why are we not thinking of adding a Vanek or Moulson ?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
this team isn't built for the playoffs. You'll see.

Why not ? We got trashed around by Ottawa last year but look at our bottom 6 this year. It will make a big difference. With more scorning and a depth addition on D we can make an impact. I think people think this team is a lot worst than it actually is.

theboss*

Too small and soft plus we have dd which means we wont win one playoff round

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Simply not on Chicago, St.Louis, Boston, Anaheim, LA's level.

Only team I believe we could beat in a 4 of 7 out of these is Anaheim and Boston.

We'll be contender in a year or two when Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk... get on their prime.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
With the trade deadline looming, how come we are not considered contenders ? We have adequate pieces and we could go bolster our roster. Why are we not thinking of adding a Vanek or Moulson ?

Sacrificing the pieces to get Vanek would just not make sense. This team is a bubble playoff contender at best. We have good young pieces so trading for an older asset (that might not even resign) is just stupid.

Moulson would cost less, but the same idea applies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Why not ? We got trashed around by Ottawa last year but look at our bottom 6 this year. It will make a big difference. With more scorning and a depth addition on D we can make an impact. I think people think this team is a lot worst than it actually is.

The problem is the top-6, not the bottom-6 which isn't much different than last year. The top-6 wasn't just tossed around, they couldn't score..

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Moulson would be a huge asset for this team. I hope Bergevin goes after him.

Markov is the key. He needs to be traded to bring back some assets that can help offensively.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Simply not on Chicago, St.Louis, Boston, Anaheim, LA's level.

Only team I believe we could beat in a 4 of 7 out of these is Anaheim and Boston.

We'll be contender in a year or two when Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk... get on their prime.

Anaheim is easily the best team in the league. They're also built for playoffs.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
This team can squeeze out a couple of wins based on Price but we don't have the talent or the size to make it far. At least in 2010 we had playoff experience.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
this team isn't built for the playoffs. You'll see.

This. Prepare yourself to get humiliated in playoff. That's why i want to trade Markov.

Prefer to loose in playoff with Beaulieu and Tinordi, to give them experience.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Because there are only 7 legitimate teams in this league that are good enough to win the cup.

You can be anywhere else and you are not a contender.

Ultimately too small and soft on the back end in particular plus we don't have a great team built for tight checking games.

We could catch lightning in a bottle and might even get to ECF. That is probably the limit, because even if we got lucky and made it to the SCF, we would get owned by the big fast teams in the west.

And that is wildly optimistic. That being the case you don't mortgage future success for the chance to lose the Stanley Cup. Better to hold your assets and see what we can do over the summer. Getting rid of Murray and hopefully MT would be a nice start.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Same old story. Couple of wins in a row, we're contenders. Couple of loses in a row, draft lottery here we come!

What this tells me is that we still lack a couple major pieces before we can truly contend to anything more than a playoff berth.

Contenders don't need to constantly remind themselves that they are contenders, because everyone agrees and knows that they are contenders. In the East, only the Pens and Bruins fit that description.

Until we severely upgrade our top 6 and find some consistency on defense, forget the idea of being contenders, much less by paying a king's ransom on trade deadline day for rentals. We're not at that point yet. I much rather develop our youngsters and let our key players already on the team gain maturity so that they'll be fit to lead this team to glory for years to come when the time is right.

If everything goes right, I give it 2 years, maybe 3 years at most before we become a true top tier team in this league. Until then, we will remain a bubble team, just like we've been for the last decade or so.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Anaheim is not built for the playoffs I'm sorry and they're not the best team either. LA, Chicago, STL and even SJ beat them in a playoff series in my opinion.

The Ducks are 7-3-2 against the teams you mentioned in the regular season. I don't know how people can argue they haven't been the best team this season.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Anaheim is easily the best team in the league. They're also built for playoffs.

I gotta disagree with this one. Regular season and playoffs are two different beasts. With speed and skill on all 4 lines, the Ducks are a great regular season team.

The thing is, that speed and skill can get shutdown in the tight checking playoffs. And their two best forwards Getzlaf and Perry can get away with playing against weaker competition during the regular season. But when they need to win a 7 game series against the Toews, Richards, Kopitars, Backes', etc. they will get shut down, similar to what happened with them vs Zets last season.

They also have two rookies on D and can use some help on the blue line.

Analyzer*

Lack of 5 on 5 scoring.
Lack of good d.
Lack of legitimate top 6 forwards
Lack of the ability to win faceoffs constantly
Lack of forward prospects who can step in and be useful.

A few other things.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
So fickle. We win cup. We lose get rid of everybody. We have a lot of holes but are winning by beating inferior teams. Playoffs will allow teams to exploit our shortcomings and Therriens ineptitude. We won't be able to win games with our PP. You'll see.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
We could make a run to the finals like NJ did a few years ago, but like them I don't think we'd do well against the Western champ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad