Why are these cardiac episodes more common in hockey?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The only thing different about the NHL in these situations than other sports is that the NHL is prepared for it and the players don't die. If you put basketball player dies on court into google you get repeated examples of this happening and the players die.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
When I saw the subject line I immediately thought of basketball because I remember two in particular whose lives were cut too short: Reggie Lewis and Hank Gathers. Doing some research will find you more that passed on.

91Fedorov91

Apr 20, 2016
California
I wonder if anyone has ever tracked heart rates of athletes while participating in different sports? My extremely uneducated guess (not a doctor, although I did once pass out and get an ambulance ride due to dehydration) is that soccer incidents are tied more to dehydration combined with exertion and heat, whereas hockey incidents are tied more to high heart rates causing/triggering some irregularity.
Now days at least in MLS all players wear a monitor while playing to track their heart rates.
What are those black bands players wear on the training pitch?

Reactions: doublechili

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Uhhh why does every soccer video include someone rolling around like they got their leg chopped off?
Because, sadly, diving and embellishment is condusive to success in soccer. There are lots of examples of soccer players being tough with injuries as well. And anyway, that doesn't really have anything to do with stamina and exhaustion. Soccer players run between 10-13 km per game with many intensive sprints. That is very exhausting and simply cannot be done two days in a row at the same level.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Peverly had heart surgery a year before his collapse and he still had a cardiac event.

Also, AFAIK, Fischer was never diagnosed with any underlying condition or pathology and same with Craig Cunningham who had to get his leg amputated. Scary stuff.

Fischer's was known, they had found heart abnormalities in his previous physicals. Similar to Peverley they thought they were addressing them and caring for it in the best possible manner. But the Wings doctor was aware, even referenced that when he first thought it was Mark Mowers but realized quickly it was Jiri and knew of pre-existing concerns and how dire the situation was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad