Why are these cardiac episodes more common in hockey?

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
After the Jay Bouwmeester incident last night it got me thinking about how we seem to see these type of incidents way more frequently in hockey than other sports. Why do you think that is?

Is it the high intensity of the shifts in the sport? Are heart issues not being monitored as much for guys coming into the league?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
After the Jay Bouwmeester incident last night it got me thinking about how we seem to see these type of incidents way more frequently in hockey than other sports. Why do you think that is?

Is it the high intensity of the shifts in the sport? Are heart issues not being monitored as much for guys coming into the league?
I have a few ideas.
1.Intensity of shifts.
2.Cold environment adding more stress
3. Compared to the nfl there is also just more opportunity for it to happen since season is much longer. 82 games instead of 16. While mlb has an even longer season, baseballs not nearly as strenuous though theres been a couple incidents there as well.

deeb

Feb 10, 2020
I doubt it's any more frequent then in the past.

Problem is the amount of cameras and media coverage now drawing more attention to the issue while in the past it was probably kept private.

Also, the last incident happened in 2014 I believe which isn't that recent...

Reactions: rumrokh and Fixxer

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Soccer players die running around, I don’t think it happens in hockey all that often, heart problems happen.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Are you sure they’re more common in hockey?

We’ve seen quite a lot in many other sports including soccer and basketball.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
It happens in soccer quite a bit too. Which probably answers your question. Hockey (and soccer) require a lot of high intensity running. Baseball players just stand there. Basketball player run a lot but don't have to really sprint. And football is once a week.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I would think because hockey is more about endurance than a lot of other sports. Just a guess though

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Fischer - 2005
Cherepanov - 2008
Peverly - 2014
Cunningham (AHL) - 2016
Bouwmeester - 2020

So that’s 5 pro hockey players and 3 NHL players who have collapsed due to cardiac related events during a game in 15 years.

Are there other examples in other sports? I follow the other major 4 sports prettty closely. I can’t recall one NFL, MLB or NBA player collapsing during a game due to cardiac event.

People are mentioning soccer but I don’t follow soccer at all, are there recent examples like there are in hockey?

The sample size of hockey players is still incredibly small on its own.

nshlphoenix

Feb 11, 2020
Hockey players actually exert themselves over the course of the game, more so than other sports.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
This just makes Duncan Keith's 2015 playoffs that much more incredible.

23 games where he averaged over half the game on the ice. Quite possibly the greatest playoff performance of the cap era

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Are they? It seems to happen way more in soccer

I don't know why this seems to be something that hockey deals with more then other sports.
I was mulling about this topic last night...

While it seems that deaths, yes, do happen all over the soccer world.

List of association footballers who died while playing - Wikipedia

You have to keep in mind this is the most popular sport in the world, with games happening all over all the time with millions? of players.....I would also imagine that there are many a collapse as well..... but.... this doesn't seem to translate to the MLS. Where a quick google search seems to not show me anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad