Salary Cap: Why are the oilers not extending Nurse?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I feel that the time is now to extend Nurse. The market has been set by Provorov, McAvoy, Werenski and Morrisey.

I would offer Nurse 6 years 6.25, 7 years 6.5, or 8 year 7.o.

We can see what he is now and with his development curve these deals will be money for the team long term.

Waiting will only make this more expensive.

Thats probably why the Nurse camp would want to wait.

Takes 2 side to negotiate...better for Nurse if he waits because he is having a very good season so far.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Thats probably why the Nurse camp would want to wait.

Takes 2 side to negotiate...better for Nurse if he waits because he is having a very good season so far.
I agree with you on the 2 sides thing, but I was saying that was what my offers would be. That post was a while ago and since then the number needs to be about 500k higher on each option, so the Nurse camp already made him 3-4 million dollars by waiting.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
In Darnell's draft year of 2013, he has a comparable and that is Josh Morrissey: 6.25M @ 8 years. This represents the high-water mark for Nurse. Morrissey plays 24 minutes per night on average this year to Darnell's 22 minutes per night. Nurse has 3 fewer assists than Morrissey and Morrissey has a lower +/-. A Nurse extension should be in the low 6's. If I'm Holland, my opening offer is in the mid 5's. If we want to keep this team together, then players are going to have to leave a few dollars on the table.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
In Darnell's draft year of 2013, he has a comparable and that is Josh Morrissey: 6.25M @ 8 years. This represents the high-water mark for Nurse. Morrissey plays 24 minutes per night on average this year to Darnell's 22 minutes per night. Nurse has 3 fewer assists than Morrissey and Morrissey has a lower +/-. A Nurse extension should be in the low 6's. If I'm Holland, my opening offer is in the mid 5's. If we want to keep this team together, then players are going to have to leave a few dollars on the table.

I think that Oilers would do a long term deal in the low 6's for Darnell. I think it is Darnell who wants more.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
I think that Oilers would do a long term deal in the low 6's for Darnell. I think it is Darnell who wants more.

What would Nurse's agent use as a basis for wanting more than what others in similar situations have signed for ?

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
What would Nurse's agent use as a basis for wanting more than what others in similar situations have signed for ?

I agree with you. Word is that the Nurse camp views Darnell has having a Hedman like offensive upside. Therefore are looking for dollars in that range.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
What the hell........this should not even be a concern. Already a 3 page thread about something insignificant. He'll get paid and will be part of the core. Discussion ends here now.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
I agree with you. Word is that the Nurse camp views Darnell has having a Hedman like offensive upside. Therefore are looking for dollars in that range.

I like Darnell, but I'm not going overvalue him because he was relied upon too heavily during the "dark" years. Realistically, he is a top-4 D who has already been passed offensively by Bear.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I like Darnell, but I'm not going overvalue him because he was relied upon too heavily during the "dark" years. Realistically, he is a top-4 D who has already been passed offensively by Bear.

Yup. But I think that is the reason for the impasse.

Some interesting decisions to be made on the left side. Let us say you sign Darnell to an 8 year extension.

You have Darnell signed until 2028 (or thereabouts) (he will be 32 when the contract ends).
You have Klef already signed until 2023.

You have pending LHD in Broberg, Samorukov, Lagesson, and Jones. I imagine one of these eventually takes the third LHD spot (this does not even count any new LHD drafted by the Oilers over the next few years).

Maybe Klef does not get resigned in 2023/2024. By the time Klef comes off the books, Bouchard and Broberg would be getting into their second contracts. So in 2023/2024, your LHD could be:

Nurse
Broberg
Jones, Lagesson, Samorukov, etc.

The right side would be Bear (depending), Bouchard, and who knows. I do not expect Larsson to be around in 2023/2024.

Will be interesting to see how things play out. Regardless, barring injury or trade, the defense seems set for the next 6-8 years.

EDIT: And if you can't sign Nurse long term and have to move him, you can get a bundle in return. He has high value.

Last edited:
Reactions: TameYew

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
What the hell........this should not even be a concern. Already a 3 page thread about something insignificant. He'll get paid and will be part of the core. Discussion ends here now.

Are we gatekeeping threads now? You've got a lot of responsibility on HFOil. Which other subs do your alter-egos frequent?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad