Salary Cap: Why are the oilers not extending Nurse?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I feel that the time is now to extend Nurse. The market has been set by Provorov, McAvoy, Werenski and Morrisey.

I would offer Nurse 6 years 6.25, 7 years 6.5, or 8 year 7.o.

We can see what he is now and with his development curve these deals will be money for the team long term.

Waiting will only make this more expensive.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Nurse is still a risk, there’s an equal chance that he either can continue to grow offensively, like last season, or also stagnate or regress from last seasons production and be a 30 point ish dman.

This season will be a defining season on where he fits, top pair or good top 4.

Hence how the contract will reflect that signed next offseason

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Probably because you aren't allowed to until January 1, 2020.

Edit: This apparently is inaccurate

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
No need to do it yet.
We have the luxury to wait and see what we have in Jones, Samourukov, Klefbom etc.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Probably because you aren't allowed to until January 1, 2020.

Think that is the rule on a 1 year deal, so teams can’t turn the 8 year limit into 9 years of term in 1 summer. Nurse can be signed any time now, just like Morrisey.

I think Nurse is a confident guy. He is likely not very interested in the extension until he can prove he is taking yet another step this season.

Reactions: oXo Cube and bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Think that is the rule on a 1 year deal, so teams can’t turn the 8 year limit into 9 years of term in 1 summer. Nurse can be signed any time now, just like Morrisey.

I think Nurse is a confident guy. He is likely not very interested in the extension until he can prove he is taking yet another step this season.

Precisely. You can extend guys on multi-year deals as of July 1st of the final season. January only applies to one-year deals.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Can a mod merge this with my thread as this is one of the main arguments I use for putting Nurse on the trade block

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The question is do we want to pay Nurse 6.5M? As it stands I would say no. If he gets to the point you can trust him with any partner, then sure.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
This season will be very telling.

The LAST thing this team needs is to lock up another D man to a long term high money contract that can't perform up to its level.

I don't think there is a risk personally to wait one more year. I don't think anyone around here would be happy paying Nurse $6 - $7 million going into this season, so why would we want to sign him to that for future seasons?

There is a really good chance there won't be any Cap increase (or minimal amounts) over the next few years so we can't get all willy nilly on cap.

Reactions: MessierII

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I would have been happy seeing Nurse signed at $5-5.25 million for 8 years but they went with a bridge instead... which almost certainly costs the team more now because it doesn't take much for a young, good skating, physical dman with some offense in their game to get $6+ million.

Maybe it wasn't a "huge" mistake going with the bridge... but it will definitely cost more to get him signed now long term than before that bridge deal.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
No need to rush. We got time on our side. What is to say we sign him to 6.5-7M, assuming he is gonna get better, then he bombs and get's only 20 points in and falters? Better to wait until mid-season to do it. Also as pointed above, we got 3-4 dmen who are ready to make the jump in the next 1 to 2 years, so we got enough options.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would have been happy seeing Nurse signed at $5-5.25 million for 8 years but they went with a bridge instead... which almost certainly costs the team more now because it doesn't take a much for a young, good skating, physical dman with some offense in their game to get $6+ million.

Maybe it wasn't a "huge" mistake going with the bridge... but it will definitely cost more to get him signed now long term than before that bridge deal.

Depends. Tippett could potentially use him in mostly shutdown situations and play Klef on PP1 instead. If that happens, Nurse probably gets 25-30 points instead of 40+ this year.

Reactions: BudBundy

dem

Mar 17, 2002
If Nurse goes back to a 25 point defenseman and we are stuck paying 7m... just shoot me.

This is one player I would rather wait on.

Reactions: ujju2 and Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I would have been happy seeing Nurse signed at $5-5.25 million for 8 years but they went with a bridge instead... which almost certainly costs the team more now because it doesn't take a much for a young, good skating, physical dman with some offense in their game to get $6+ million.

Nurse wouldn’t sign for 5.25M. 5.5M was the bottom number according to rumours. I’d have paid him 5.25 begrudgingly, although I was hoping for a deal just under 5.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
To me the Matheson contract was the best comparable at the time because there was a similar type dman making almost $5 million... and I viewed Nurse as a step above Matheson in terms of his potential as well... so an extra $.5 million or so would have been a reasonable bet.

Problem is now though that the team basically has to pay a "penalty" for making that bridge deal... as the player likely gets $6.5 million to $7 million which more than negates any cap savings over the 2 years of that bridge.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To me the Matheson contract was the best comparable at the time because there was a similar type dman making almost $5 million... and I viewed Nurse as a step above Matheson in terms of his potential as well... so an extra $.5 million or so would have been a reasonable bet.

Problem is now though that the team basically has to pay a "penalty" for making that bridge deal... as the player likely gets $6.5 million to $7 million which more than negates any cap savings over the 2 years of that bridge.
Depends. If Nurse puts up the numbers he did last year while improving defensively then yes. If it's 2 years ago Nurse 6mill is the max.

Nurse wants to sign based on last years offense and the team may not think he can replicate that

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

The problem with the long term contracts is that sometimes players just don't live up to them.

Like the RNH deal. The Oilers could have signed him to a bridge and then still got him on an 8 year, $6 million dollar contract 2-3 years later.

Nurse is still really high event. I for one would like to see him prove he can play button down hockey before the Oilers open the vault for him.

Reactions: Raab

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I think Hollsy wants to see what he has in Darnell Nurse first. I will be choked if Nurse has a Norris season and we missed the chance to lock him in long term.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The way I look at it for any long term deal you have to look at what the equivalent cap hit might be at the midpoint. For a young guy like Nurse if you are not overpaying in the first three years at least on a 8 year deal then it is a huge win for the team. If you could sign Nurse today for 8 years at $6M you do it in a heart beat. If he is decent a #3 he covers this bet. Th downside risk is pretty minimal because at the middle of that deal$6M is like $4.7 M today.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Premature for Nurse signing.

He has taken solid strides each year but is no sure thing to lock in asap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Hollsy wants to see what he has in Darnell Nurse first. I will be choked if Nurse has a Norris season and we missed the chance to lock him in long term.

It's hilarious how the Oilers are the no.1 obsession for Flames fans. Wait till the team actually gets good, then probably will be a bunch of tight panties in cowboy land. YEEEEE HAWWWW! Frik Woo, right Toddy?

Calgary Puck already freaking out and tracking Evan Bouchard, lol. No one here gives a shit about Calgary's training camp. It's funny.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad