Salary Cap: Why are the oilers not extending Nurse?

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
It's hilarious how the Oilers are the no.1 obsession for Flames fans. Wait till the team actually gets good, then probably will be a bunch of tight panties in cowboy land. YEEEEE HAWWWW! Frik Woo, right Toddy?

Calgary Puck already freaking out and tracking Evan Bouchard, lol. No one here gives a **** about Calgary's training camp. It's funny.

What on the earth are you going on about, what does all this have to do with my post??

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What on the earth are you going on about, what does all this have to do with my post??

Maybe Hollsy, once he gets a read on Nurse, can give us a magical run sometime as incredible as the Flames magical season last year. Best since 2004!! That one week of getting ass thumped by 8th seed Colorado ... the memories on 17th! Gaudreau's magical big stage performance of 1 point in 5 games (tied with Mike Smith!!!), just like Jarome In Da Dome 04! Yeaaaaaah babbbbbbbeeeee.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I say just give him a million dollars every time he keeps the puck in on the point... that way they don't break the bank.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Maybe Hollsy, once he gets a read on Nurse, can give us a magical run sometime as incredible as the Flames magical season last year. Best since 2004!! That one week of getting ass thumped by 8th seed Colorado ... the memories on 17th! Gaudreau's magical big stage performance of 1 point in 5 games (tied with Mike Smith!!!), just like Jarome In Da Dome 04! Yeaaaaaah babbbbbbbeeeee.

lol.

Awareness is fun, eh? Great two posts.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
How sure are you that it’s a parody account?

Reactions: TB12

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I'm still not convinced of Nurse yet to give him a long term deal.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I feel that the time is now to extend Nurse. The market has been set by Provorov, McAvoy, Werenski and Morrisey.

I would offer Nurse 6 years 6.25, 7 years 6.5, or 8 year 7.o.

We can see what he is now and with his development curve these deals will be money for the team long term.

Waiting will only make this more expensive.

He isn't worth that money . He has flaws . If he can produces like last year while improving his overall defensive game then yeah I could get behind it .

Reactions: Aerchon

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Think that is the rule on a 1 year deal, so teams can’t turn the 8 year limit into 9 years of term in 1 summer. Nurse can be signed any time now, just like Morrisey.

I think Nurse is a confident guy. He is likely not very interested in the extension until he can prove he is taking yet another step this season.
Nurse was poised to hold out last year. Hard to think his mindset will be any different this time. I don’t see him signing early unless he’s offered an overpayment.

Reactions: oobga

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Said in 16-17 we should have extended him at 3-4M/ year long term. Now we'll be on the hook for 6-7M/year.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Combining the fact that he'll most likely get far less PP1 opportunity this year with the fact that this could be his first year where he'll actually be held accountable for his defense, I'd much rather base his next contract on this years numbers than what will likely be his peak offensive numbers from last year.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He probably doesn't even want to resign yet. He's yet to do anything that merits anything more than 5, maybe 5.5M per season. I personally think his number were rather inflated last year.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Theres zero chance he was taking 3-4m long term at that time.

An 11 point campaign during a 44 game year? If there was no chance he was taking that we should go delete the threads where we discussed numbers and contracts just like this during that season. People wanted to wait and were balking at even 4M/year during that season. I stated i beleived in the player and that we should sign him before he really explodes..... then 17-18 happened... then even worse for our contract situation 18-19 happened....

3-4M/year was definately a possibility back in 16-17. He'd be signing Larsson / Klefbom type numbers while being no where near the contributors they were in 16-17.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
An 11 point campaign during a 44 game year? If there was no chance he was taking that we should go delete the threads where we discussed numbers and contracts just like this during that season. People wanted to wait and were balking at even 4M/year during that season. I stated i beleived in the player and that we should sign him before he really explodes..... then 17-18 happened... then even worse for our contract situation 18-19 happened....

3-4M/year was definately a possibility back in 16-17. He'd be signing Larsson / Klefbom type numbers while being no where near the contributors they were in 16-17.

If you paid him long term while he was young. Good chance he doesn’t put in the work to get where he needs to be. Signing RNH early backfired on us. I think he could have been a better player sooner if he was motivated to land a big 6-7M dollar pay day. Only long term contract the Oilers gave to a player based on potential that worked out was Klefbom.

I’d rather pay Nurse 6-7M that he’s earned, then pay him 4M and hope he improves.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Holland said he wants to see players play before extending them. I believe this was from his introductory press conference.
I don't blame him. Barring a trade Nurse is going to become our highest paid d-man. Before Holland locks in he probably wants to get a feel for where Nurse fits in Tippett's system.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse is our best D man.

He’ll eat heavy minutes and be a shutdown D man.

Klefbom-Persson/Bouchard are the greatest benefactors of Nurse playing a shut down role ahead of them.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Nurse is our best D man.

Klefbom-Persson/Bouchard are the greatest benefactors of Nurse playing a shut down role ahead of them.

If by shutdown dman, you mean gives up the most HDSCA on the team, then yes he's a shutdown dman. The fact is he still gets lost in his own zone, makes the wrong reads, and leaves his partner scrambling to cover for him. I think he can work it out if he sat down and watched a bunch of video, but I dont think he wants to focus on defence first. More important to score points and get paid.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If by shutdown dman, you mean gives up the most HDSCA on the team, then yes he's a shutdown dman. The fact is he still gets lost in his own zone, makes the wrong reads, and leaves his partner scrambling to cover for him. I think he can work it out if he sat down and watched a bunch of video, but I dont think he wants to focus on defence first. More important to score points and get paid.
Hard to play in the defensive zone with a starfish as your other defender.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When was the last time a bridge deal was lucrative for a club?
Depends what is truly considered a bridge.

Sam Gagner comes up as an example with our club.

Larsson took a one year out of ELC

Then you have your lessor players that take them all the time such as Kassian.

You also have to keep in mind things are starting to change in the RFA market. Lot more guys are wanting that homerun out of ELC. Bridges are going to become more and more used over the next few years. Although part of that is the players not wanting long-term deals with an impending change to the tv deal.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Nurse is our best D man.

When is he going to learn to be a good shutdown D man? Sometimes I wonder what some of you guys watch night in and night out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad