Why are the Islanders considered a good defensive team?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think we have good individual players , but as a unit (forwards included) we are not a good defensive team.

I would also say our goals allowed is inflated by awful goaltending.

Deep 1-8 sure, I stand by that too. But obviously lacking the top end talent outside of Leddy. This is why Isles fans want OEL, or even Hjmarlsson/Martinez.

Goaltending is the much bigger issue however, if we had a Price or even idk a Mike Smith, I think the D corps looks better already.

Also, consider the younger players, Pulock Mayfield and Pelech we all have high expectations for but they are relatively green. Pelech is the best now and then toss up between Mayfield and Pulock depending on what you need that night.

Hickey has been declining yearly since the 14-15 season but still steps up in the playoffs IMO, Seidenberg was a breathe of fresh air last year but is a number 7 guy that could be a 6th guy on most teams still.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Thinking about it, I wonder if the premise was that Isles fans said Hamonic could be replaced internally which has been proven true with Pelech.

Leddy has done better this year than any other year but we still need more top end talent.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
But do they win? They need to be better defensively. But it's largely a product of how they play, which works. A win tonight and they are in first place in the best division in hockey. So thanks for your concern but we'll be OK.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Islanders top pair (Leddy/Boychuk) are one of the best top pairs in the league. However the rest of the D core is average to slightly below average. I think team defense is below average, as is their goaltending. Add all that up and you have a team that is not good defensively.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
Leddy is a #1; DeHaan and Boychuk are 3/4's; Pulock and Pelech have potential to be top 4; with all that said, I would say our D is probably 15-20 in the league which is average at best. In the past decade, we havent had a very good defense and most isles fans would agree with me so idk where this is coming from.

Maybe OP was talking about a different team and accidently typed the isles?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Greiss and Halak look like AHL goalies this year. No composure from either of them.

While that might be true, you can't ignore the fact that the Isles give up as many shots against per game as the Devils, Wings, Leafs.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This is what I’m wondering? We have depth but only 1 top pairing Defensman. And a couple of solid ones. Our defense isn’t horrible but it’s not great. We need another solid top4 Defensman.

Goaltending is the bigger issue
Flames fan throwing irrational shade to get the spotlight off of them for a few mins. I have never seen someone claim they have a great defence, the team collectively is doing well though.

Edit: Glad I'm not the only one who caught this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad