Why are the Islanders considered a good defensive team?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It seems that having Leddy, Boychuk, De Haan, and previously Hamonic has made Islanders probably the most overrated team defensively. Every year they are among one of the worst teams in the league in every defensive metrics including GA. Yes Capuano had a terrible system, but still he's gone and the Islanders are still a bad team in defensive metrics.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't remember anyone claiming they were a good defensive team. I've heard them claim they have a solid defense. Same as with Calgary, there's a big difference between having good individual defensemen and having good team defense. Defensemen have value for their transition and offensive games, where Leddy in particular excels, and the Isles under Weight seem to play an uptempo game that trades a lot of chances that isn't going to do anyone's defensive numbers a world of good.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
This is what I’m wondering? We have depth but only 1 top pairing Defensman. And a couple of solid ones. Our defense isn’t horrible but it’s not great. We need another solid top4 Defensman.

Goaltending is the bigger issue

This. The defense is probably average, but the goaltending has been horrendous.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't remember anyone claiming they were a good defensive team. I've heard them claim they have a solid defense. Same as with Calgary, there's a big difference between having good individual defensemen and having good team defense. Defensemen have value for their transition and offensive games, where Leddy in particular excels, and the Isles under Weight seem to play an uptempo game that trades a lot of chances that isn't going to do anyone's defensive numbers a world of good.

Except Flames post-Hartley era are top 10 in most shot suppression metrics, in fact better than Nashville, Washington, Anaheim, etc. who are all considered "elite defensive teams". Islanders have always been really bad in defensive metrics and also goals against metrics, yet their goalies have good adjusted save percentage, so it's definitely not goaltending.

Drunk Attorney

Oct 12, 2017
Seattle, WA
Why are the Islanders considered a good defensive team?

They aren't. Out of 26 games, they've allowed 4 or more goals in 10, they've allowed exactly 3 goals in 10 more, and they've allowed fewer than 3 goals in only 6. And I've never heard anyone claim that they are good. Ever. Almost every Islanders thread praises that their stellar scoring will help them to make the playoffs but worries and assumes that they will be bounced because of poor defense and goalie. It seems every other thread any Isles fan posts is "Should we trade for [so and so] dman?"

Reactions: SI90

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I have never in my life heard anything suggesting that the Islanders are a good defensive team.
They aren’t bad though

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They are passable, still the team is playing some good hockey this year. Enough to get Tavares to re-sign there I wonder?

Incarnadine Sea

Mar 4, 2011
Long Island
You certainly won't hear any Islander fans saying this.

It seems that Weight has the team playing at their optimal offensive output while neglected the defensive aspect. It has worked so far, but will not lead to success in the playoffs.

I noticed that when Capuano was the coach, he would try to get the team to play defense first and they wouldn't give up many goals, but they hardly scored any. The team can focus on defense or scoring. But they can't do both.

That being said, this is the most fun I've had watching the Islanders in years. And really, that's what it's all about. Fun and exciting hockey.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
You certainly won't hear any Islander fans saying this.

It seems that Weight has the team playing at their optimal offensive output while neglected the defensive aspect. It has worked so far, but will not lead to success in the playoffs.

I noticed that when Capuano was the coach, he would try to get the team to play defense first and they wouldn't give up many goals, but they hardly scored any. The team can focus on defense or scoring. But they can't do both.

That being said, this is the most fun I've had watching the Islanders in years. And really, that's what it's all about. Fun and exciting hockey.

And winning, which they've done pretty frequently so far.

But on topic, they have to do something about the goals against if they want continued success. Whether that is Defense or Goaltending, something has to change for the better.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I think we have good individual players , but as a unit (forwards included) we are not a good defensive team.

I would also say our goals allowed is inflated by awful goaltending.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The D corps is middling defensively. The forwards are well below-average.

NYI lost Grabovski and Nielsen who were both good on D and replaced them with nothing. Kulemin is injured long-term. Cizikas is injured, but should be back soon.

Basically we have one good defensive forward right now, and he's a winger in Josh Bailey. Andrew Ladd is also decent. But we stink up the middle.

NYI need a third line center in the worst way.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Sorry OP, you're out to lunch on this one. I don't think people claimed they were good defensive team. Sure there might have been an idiot or two but you have that with every team's fanbase.

General consensus with the Isles the last few years was that Cappy wasn't a good coach and had wore out his welcome few years ago as the team failed to take the next step. They seemed to find a solid coach in Weight....so far.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
The last Islanders team that I remember being considered good defensively had Kenny Jonsson, Roman Hamrlik, and Adrian Aucoin.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
We have good defensemen, but we were never considered a good defensive team. Ever. I've been saying we need a top-4 defenseman moreso than a goalie, because once we get a better D our G's will play better.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
All the holes in our organization have the end goal of reducing the amount of goals we give up:

- Penalty-killing #3C
- Top-4 D
- Upgrade in goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad