Why are the Ducks of Anaheim so hated on Hockey's Future?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I've never seen so much hate and salt from neutral fans toward a non rival team. Go into any GDT on the mainboards when the Ducks are playing and you will find people incessantly bitching about the team.

I don't really understand it? They are led by one of the more likeable and underrated players in the league in Ryan Getzlaf. Perry can be annoying but I don't see people bitching about Boston or Calgary (Marchand Tkachuk) all the time here.

What is it?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I've never seen so much hate and salt from neutral fans toward a non rival team. Go into any GDT on the mainboards when the Ducks are playing and you will find people incessantly *****ing about the team.

I don't really understand it? They are led by one of the more likeable and underrated players in the league in Ryan Getzlaf. Perry can be annoying but I don't see people *****ing about Boston or Calgary (Marchand Tkachuk) all the time here.

What is it?

Everyone hates Boston, whatchu even talking about?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It is a little baffling to me. Sure we've got Kesler and Perry, and to an extend Getzlaf has the reputation of whining to refs.

But past that...Kesler and Perry have largely calmed down compared to past years. Manson throws hits around but for the most part they've all been good, clean hits. Does Anaheim play with edge? Of course. Look at who the coach is.

But it can be quite stunning to see how if one team will start punking Anaheim out taking cheap shots at them and Anaheim responds? It's Anaheim's fault for gooning it up after the play is blown dead. Ducks throw a few big hits? They're so dirty. A Duck's player gets tripped whether a dive or not? The whole team is a bunch of dirty divers (even if the other team is diving just as much (specifically it drove me absolutely crazy when Anaheim played Nashville in the WCF. Kesler got tripped and it was a pretty clear trip. HF spent like 6-7 pages rabidly ridiculing Kesler and the Ducks for diving. Then like 4 or 5 shifts later Forsberg went down like a sniper shot him when Bieksa lifted his stick a good foot away from Filip's face, Nashville got a powerplay and scored. No one but Ducks fans made a peep about it)

It just feels like the vitriol is so pervasive that the Ducks (and at times, their fans) get zero benefit of the doubt or objectivity around here.

I mean I was in the main board GDT, in the first period, sure it was a pretty chippy game but outside of Zadorov hitting Cogliano in the head with his shoulder no team had done anything remotely dirty. Yet for a whole page Avs and neutral fans alike were going on about how dirty the Ducks are. I tried pointing out that fact and got hammered for it. It's like Anaheim can't even play physical anymore without people scorching them for it.

The days of the Ducks being big, bad, and dirty are long behind us yet the stereotype lives on

Because Corey Perry plays like a jackass.

Thanks for Vatanen and Palmieri though, super appreciate the hook up.

That sure is a good reason to hate a whole team.

Last edited:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I've never seen so much hate and salt from neutral fans toward a non rival team. Go into any GDT on the mainboards when the Ducks are playing and you will find people incessantly *****ing about the team.

I don't really understand it? They are led by one of the more likeable and underrated players in the league in Ryan Getzlaf. Perry can be annoying but I don't see people *****ing about Boston or Calgary (Marchand Tkachuk) all the time here.

What is it?

Because 10 years ago the team was extremely physical and sometimes crossed the line (not to mention being really good). It was primarily Pronger and Brad May that crossed that line, but Perry (and others) definitely teetered on that line more when he came into the league. Teams that beat you and beat you up often lead to a hatred that doesn't just go away. So you could argue it's a reputation thing that's just kind of stuck over the years. Perry for example is much more of a pest and really hasn't crossed that line in years. Not saying he's some angel or anything but some compare him to players like Marchand which is crazy.

I don't agree with you about Boston though. I think people bitch about them and Pittsburgh the most.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Huh? People dislike Kesler and Perry, but I feel this is an exaggerated claim. Look at how many teams openly hate the Leafs and want a win vs them when they are in tank mode. When are only really big rivals are MTL and Ottawa.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
That sure is a good reason to hate a whole team.

The funny thing is that I always root for NJ when they don't play us because of all the former Ducks. I despised that Palmieri trade the second it was made, but I still wish him well. I thought we could have gotten more for Vatanen in the offseason, but injuries forced our hand, and I still make that trade every day of the week. Henrique has been instrumental in our turn around.

Reactions: My3Sons

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
On the leafs boards we dont really talk about the ducks or their team. Atleast i cant recall doing so. Usually when it comes to discussions about the ducks is thanking them for jake gardiner and seriously hoping we stop giving them our picsk(they drafted a lot of of good talent from licks which were ours orginally like kase, rakell, gibson i believe(could be wrong about this one) steel(not to upset since this was a good deal for both sides), and probably a couple others. All i know is that the ducks are a good team at drafting defense and can find grotty forwards with later round picks. I varely watch the ducks so cant comment on there dirtyness but they usually play a good clean game against the leafs.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Huh? People dislike Kesler and Perry, but I feel this is an exaggerated claim. Look at how many teams openly hate the Leafs and want a win vs them when they are in tank mode. When are only really big rivals are MTL and Ottawa.

I would say that saying they are the most hated team is exaggerated, but I'd say they're top 5, and I agree with the OP that it's kind of odd that they are.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vipers31 and Plural

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would say that saying they are the most hated team is exaggerated, but I'd say they're top 5, and I agree with the OP that it's kind of odd that they are.

[mod]
Oh, I understand the root cause of it. It was more the point about rivals. Pretty much every fanbase hates us because of our worst 5% of posters.

Last edited by a moderator:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Go look at any mainboards GDT while the Ducks are playing and see how dirty the Ducks are actually playing relative to how people are reacting.

Reactions: Duck Off

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

What is it?

If it were just hate I could understand it, but hate and salt? Come on people, get over it, the Ducks aren't even that dirty anymore. They will make for more interesting playoff series, I was rooting for them to make the post season tournament.

Salt, what is up with that? Salt, throwing shade etc... I am simply not cool anymore, I'm still saying funky-fresh!

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Oh, I understand the root cause of it. It was more the point about rivals. Pretty much every fanbase hates us because of our worst 5% of posters.

Understand that the Leafs are winning a lot this year, and if other teams are seeing what we see (where at least one poster comes and adamantly rubs it in in some fashion over and over until they're banned), then it's not hard to see why there would be animosity towards that fanbase. Whereas, I'm not aware of many (if any) posters on our board who do that to opposing teams. Like Han said, go look at the gdt of Duck games and you'll see what he and the OP are talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad