Why are Spearing and Slashing treated so differently?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
That is simply not true. Many concussions and other serious injuries have resulted from slashes. Even what you are saying is a serious injury. Some players break bones and never return the same.

If you're going to look at the most severe examples of a slash, such as a slash to the face or head, why wouldn't you do the same for a spear? What do you think would happen if someone speared you in the face with a stick? Fractured skull? Loss of an eye? Death? Oh sure, you could just need some stitches. If you're lucky.

You seem to be looking at the very worst possibilities from a slash, but not a spear. If someone slashes you across the abdomen, it's going to hurt. You'll definitely have a bruise afterwards. There is really no reason for a player to be slashing you across the abdomen, but for the sake of argument, sure. If someone spears you in the abdomen, there is a legitimate chance of organ damage. You could rupture something. The fact that it isn't a common occurrence has more to do with the fact that spears have no place in hockey, and are viewed as dangerous, inexcusable plays. They don't happen often because there is no reason you should ever be spearing another player, and the only reason you would is to hurt another player. Slashes can be pretty common, but the slashes you're talking about? Ones leading to concussions? How often do those happen? Even the broken bones argument, are typically limited to hand or wrist injuries. More commonly, slashes result in bruises, and some audible cursing. That's the most common injury that results from a slash, and that is if there is an injury at all.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
If you're going to look at the most severe examples of a slash, such as a slash to the face or head, why wouldn't you do the same for a spear? What do you think would happen if someone speared you in the face with a stick? Fractured skull? Loss of an eye? Death? Oh sure, you could just need some stitches. If you're lucky.

You seem to be looking at the very worst possibilities from a slash, but not a spear. If someone slashes you across the abdomen, it's going to hurt. You'll definitely have a bruise afterwards. There is really no reason for a player to be slashing you across the abdomen, but for the sake of argument, sure. If someone spears you in the abdomen, there is a legitimate chance of organ damage. You could rupture something. The fact that it isn't a common occurrence has more to do with the fact that spears have no place in hockey, and are viewed as dangerous, inexcusable plays. They don't happen often because there is no reason you should ever be spearing another player, and the only reason you would is to hurt another player. Slashes can be pretty common, but the slashes you're talking about? Ones leading to concussions? How often do those happen? Even the broken bones argument, are typically limited to hand or wrist injuries. More commonly, slashes result in bruises, and some audible cursing. That's the most common injury that results from a slash, and that is if there is an injury at all.

He refuses to acknowledge Red Sullivan. Also didn't Lidstrom almost lose a testicle because of Sharp spearing him?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He refuses to acknowledge Red Sullivan. Also didn't Lidstrom almost lose a testicle because of Sharp spearing him?

And then was back on the ice like a week later, if memory serves. Saying he had massive balls might be in poor taste, but it's certainly accurate.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Slashing causes more injuries because it pens 100x more often. Just like tripping probably causes more injuries than a slew foot.

Intentional slash to the face or a full out 2 handed slash (see Kessel vs John Scott) would be deemed as bad as spearing imo. The thing is spearing is pretty much always intentional for injury while Slashing is typically not meant to injure, but to cause a tuenover/limit scoring opportunities.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If your wildly swinging your stick then yes it should be a penalty. If your just in front of the net with one hand on your stick and it bumps a players shin pad that is not a slash. If there is no slashing motion then it is not a slash.
]

what you described is a stick check, which isn't a slash, isnt called as a slash and never will be.

you get a step on me and I'm chasing you down, im gonna tap you in the pants and so long as the blade is facing outward ( no hook) thats not now nor ever will be a penalty.
been that way since the jump. My stick gets into your legs that could be a trip but tripping a guy whose got a step on you aint so bad.

guys with the puck and without it get stick checked all the time.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Then why do violent slashes to the head happen?

Hockey is a violent game, heat of the moment things happen.

Spearing is considered one of those cardinal sins, even in the heat of the moment, players by and large do not spear. Likewise, they do not kick opponents either.

It doesn't matter if you take my word or others who have played the game and have been speared or not. You've asked the question and we've told you, spearing when it's to a soft part of the body like the abdomen or flanks is one of the most painful things imaginable. It's hard to describe if you haven't had it happen. Especially if you're skating into it.

Having experienced both, I would take a heavy right hook to the face landing flush over the pain of a spear to the gut any day. Same with a slash or high stick.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I just asked for a few injuries from spears this decade. I think we can all name a few injuries from slashes this decade.

I gave you one. Nick Lidstrom, speared in the junk, needed emergency surgery to save one of his danglies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

There are more gun related deaths per year than atomic bomb related deaths. Thus, guns are more dangerous than atomic bombs.

The previous time this was brought up I did the math. You have to exert a lot more force with a slash to inflict an equivalent amount of pressure compared to a slash. Plug in random numbers yourself to the formula pressure=force/area. The length of a hockey blade is around 7.5" (I think? Going off memory) and the toe of a blade is around 2.5"

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
The length of the part of the stick that hits is really irrelevant, because the area that actually contacts on a slash will rarely be the entire blade, and half the time appears to be the heel or the actual shaft anyways. Every mention of the danger of spears talks about them hitting the soft bits, but that's going to hurt no matter what part of the stick you use.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
The length of the part of the stick that hits is really irrelevant, because the area that actually contacts on a slash will rarely be the entire blade, and half the time appears to be the heel or the actual shaft anyways. Every mention of the danger of spears talks about them hitting the soft bits, but that's going to hurt no matter what part of the stick you use.

It's actually not irrelevant at all. The PSI of a spear is a lot greater than the PSI of a slash.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Always thought the "hockey play slash" was stupid. Been playing hockey for years, never seen a need for it. It's lazy, and the only real reason, is to hurt the other player, catching them where the equipment shifts.
It's like admitting you can't seperate the player from the puck, so you just swing your stick at them....such a plug play. Wish it was out of the NHL. Can't understand what it adds to the game.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It is interesting how those who approach this topic with word like always and never wonder why people find their opinions suspect.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017

rat.jpg

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
When u spear u typically have intention of hitting an "area" when u slash its more out of frustration.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Red Sullivan almost died from a spear. Nobody has ever come close to dying from a slash. It's really as simple as that.

technically not true, that dude in italy in the 90's took an innocuous slash to the chest which caused his heart to stop and he died ( don ask me for the footage I've seen it in black and white and never want to see it again).

And the boom boom - nyr slash ( I think it was miller, or some other common surname) almost certainly could have killed him ( again if you want to see it you are on your freaking own).

crazy slashes could very well kill someone ( hello perezhogin) even if they have yet to do so.

but spearing as a whole is worse imo.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
technically not true, that dude in italy in the 90's took an innocuous slash to the chest which caused his heart to stop and he died ( don ask me for the footage I've seen it in black and white and never want to see it again).

And the boom boom - nyr slash ( I think it was miller, or some other common surname) almost certainly could have killed him ( again if you want to see it you are on your freaking own).

crazy slashes could very well kill someone ( hello perezhogin) even if they have yet to do so.

but spearing as a whole is worse imo.

Fair enough. But my point was that it takes an egregious slash to cause that kind of damage. It doesn't take an egregious spear to severely injure someone.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Fair enough. But my point was that it takes an egregious slash to cause that kind of damage. It doesn't take an egregious spear to severely injure someone.

the slash that killed the guy in italy was clearly a slash but it wasnt perezhogin like. it didnt look all that bad at all.

And i think focussing on the consequences is just the wrong way to go. at the extremes a slash can cross the line and do a whole lot of damage, but there are many many more slashes that are nothings. that doesnt happen with spears, you dont speak a guy to let them know your there because if you spear a guy you have but one intention ( whether it comes to fruition or not): you want to hurt the guy,

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Always thought the "hockey play slash" was stupid. Been playing hockey for years, never seen a need for it. It's lazy, and the only real reason, is to hurt the other player, catching them where the equipment shifts.
It's like admitting you can't seperate the player from the puck, so you just swing your stick at them....such a plug play. Wish it was out of the NHL. Can't understand what it adds to the game.

Hierarchy of stickwork

-> Accidental trips/ highsticking
-> Gameplay cheating (successful) -little hooks and slashes used to defend that go uncalled- largely accepted (crosschecking in front of the net would fit as an extension
-> Gameplay cheating (unsucessful) -the above but blatant and penalized

-> agitiation and retaliatory stickwork -chops to the back of the legs etc.

-> assault- baseball swing slashing and spearing

While their is the odd case of well hidden tiny agitations spears it is almost 100% an escalation into the "attempt to cause real bodily harm" category, while slashing is present on a lot more of the spectrum.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Barring a McSorley type of attack, slashings most likely serious injury would be a broken bone. Spearing however can cause serious internal injuries such as a ruptured spleen/gall bladder. Internal bleeding that isn't quickly recognized by a trainers examination and only begins to show symptoms sometime later after the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad