Why are Spearing and Slashing treated so differently?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Because slashing is(or at least can be) a hockey play and spearing is not.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Really? Is this a serious question?

Spearing is incredibly dangerous while slashes happen 200 times a game with players rarely getting hurt.
Why wouldn't it be?

You can cause just as much damage with a slash and you can also prove intent just as well.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Spearing is essentially stabbing a guy with the stick, slashing is not. (Unless you're talking about when it gets called for 'sack-taping' or nut shoting a guy).

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Slashing can come as a result of a hockey move. Spearing cannot - it is always intentional.
What hockey move clearly includes a slash?

Its the difference between a punch and an eye-gouge in a fight.
False equivalent.

Because slashing is(or at least can be) a hockey play and spearing is not.
Hockey play?

Getting hit by a baseball bat or stabbed by a knife
False equivalent.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
You seem very eager to respond to every single person in this thread except for me (thanks a lot).

Care to?

Per incident, where's the evidence that slashing leads to more injuries?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What hockey move clearly includes a slash?

False equivalent.

Hockey play?

False equivalent.

Ive been slashed extremely hard before and it broke my wrist and i was speared in the gut once that required stitches.. It was similar to getting hit by a bat and stabbed by a knife.. Its not a false equivilant. It was freakishly similar that hurt like a ***** for both

Anyways, slashing happens multiple times a shift and some are hard and some arent.. Spearing is a more dangerous play cause its not a normal movement for hockey players to do against opponents.. There is no reason to do stabbing motions with a stick... Where as a light tap with your stick happens many times per game.. Sometimes harder than others

Last edited:

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Per incident, is this the case? (Yes, slashing probably leads to more injuries in total, but it also is called a lot more often).
I will address you. I cannot give you any statistics because I don't have any evidence besides anecdotal, but I really can't remember the last time somebody had to sit a game because of a spear. Gaudreau missed alot of games because of a slash earlier this season, and I think another player did as well, but I cannot recall.

My argument isn't going to be published in science journal, it was just an observation that slashing is just as intentional and causes more injury than spearing. If you have observed something that contradicts this please let it be known.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Ive been slashed extremely hard before and it broke my wrist and i was speared in the gut once that required stitches.. It was similar to getting hit by a bat and stabbed by a knife.. Its not a false equivilant. It was freakishly similar that hurt like a ***** for both

I'm amazed that a spear can do that kind of damage, I'm not implying that what you said isn't true, I just think that's amazing. Regardless, I've had stitches and had broken bones as well and I'd take stitches 10 times before is break another bone. Broken bones are the worst, and no matter what anybody says, you carry that injury with you for life. both mentally and physically.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Spearing is always intentional physical harm and is highly dangerous all the time.

Slashing depends on the situation and the amount of force given into the act. A player slashing another player's stick in half trying to get control of the puck shouldn't be treated the same as a player spearing another player.

Obviously situations like the Nyquist thing that happened today get harsher punishments (and deservedly so), but that was such a blatant and intentional slash to someone's face that it should've been a major and ejection, not just a 4 minute penalty. Most instances of slashing occur during play as an attempt to make the puck carrier lose control. Imo, those instances shouldn't be treated the same as a Nyquist situation or a spear.

TestGrave

Nov 30, 2013
Central Florida
Cause stabbing is more dangerous.
You can put more force on a smaller surface area.

Take it from a historical fencer. I rather get hit in the head with full force with a long sword than to get stabbed perfectly in the neck. Both can hurt with safety equipment (Fencing mask, neck brace), however, the stab is a lot nastier in any case, regardless of where on the body. If your opponent is a dick and won't ease up on the pressure you can get all kinds of interesting injuries, even with decent safety equipment. Further, an accidental slash to the face might grace the eye and is bad enough, just guess what happens if you get speared/stabbed in the eye with a blunt pointy object...

Edit: @NHLpls... If you say "broken bones are the worst" you clearly haven't had an eye stabbed out of your face... It can get worse than a broken bone, a lot worse. (Jsyk, I'm speaking from experience)

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
If it is so dangerous then why haven't players been knocked out from a spear?

I'm not saying that spearing isn't dangerous, but slashing causes much more injury to players than spearing. I think they can both have just as ill intent.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think spearing is usually more egregious/dangerous. That's not to say every spear is worse than every slash, or vice versa. Slashing is far, far more common too. I'm betting that if you looked at calls/spear vs. calls/slash, the numbers wouldn't be terribly far apart. That said, that's a wild guess on my part.

I'm not saying that spearing isn't dangerous, but slashing causes much more injury to players than spearing. I think they can both have just as ill intent.

Just because a player can't be knocked unconscious by something doesn't mean it's not extremely dangerous... :rolleyes:

I could be shot in the chest. I doubt I'd be knocked out. Doesn't mean it's not dangerous. Bad comparison.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Sorry about your eye, I didn't even know it was possible to get stitches on your eye, learn something new every day I guess.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Slashing causes more injuries because it happens way more often. If players started spearing each other as often as they slash each other, the NHL would come down on them like a ton a bricks. Stabbing somebody with a small point is significantly more dangerous than slashing them -- that's basic physics.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

That seems like a really odd counter point. How many people do you see getting knocked out from slashes?

TestGrave

Nov 30, 2013
Central Florida
Sorry about your eye, I didn't even know it was possible to get stitches on your eye, learn something new every day I guess.

Stitches? The eye was lifted out of the socket and the nerve was cut. A few mm further and it would have been in the brain. I said I'm speaking from experience, but I haven't lost an eye myself.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Slashing causes more injuries because it happens way more often. If players started spearing each other as often as they slash each other, the NHL would come down on them like a ton a bricks. Stabbing somebody with a small point is significantly more dangerous than slashing them -- that's basic physics.
But human anatomy allows for more force to be applied, and some shafts do have sharper corners.

I get it though that I'm the only one who thinks slashing is more dangerous than spearing based on my own anecdotal evidence, and that nobody else feels the same. I'm just gonna stop, thank you all for your points of view though.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Why are bear attacks and dog attacks treated so differently? Especially considering that historically dog attacks have been the cause of more injury.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
I'm curious--for anybody arguing that a spear is not more dangerous than a slash, would you say the same for butt-ending?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad