Why are people here so high on John Gibson, and talk about him as the best goalie in the world?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
don't think anyone's called him the best in the world

but the last few seasons he was singlehandedly winning games for the ducks. he's having an off year this season but it sure doesn't help having such a crappy team in front of him

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If he weren't on the Ducks we'd all remember how good he is, unless the Ducks' rebuild finishes in the next 2-3 years and he remains.

I personally think Anaheim should trade him, probably to Colorado or Toronto. Would say Edmonton but doubt that'll ever happen.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’m going to take a second and ask you a serious question about GSAA if you want to talk trash stats.
Let’s say league average is 1 goal on 10 shots, After 2 games I have two shutouts and 20 shots per game, giving me a +4
You have let in 2 goals on 40 shots both games giving you a +4
Me being perfect am now tied with you and your 4 goals against.
In both my games together 40 shots I gave up zero goals, you are giving up 2 goals per 40 shots yet it’s a tie?
Lol that’s what I call a trash stat no matter how you try to church it up.
Care to tell me the great mind that came up with this stat and why anyone would take it serious?
You can’t give a goalie ‘points’ because the other team shoots the puck at him it’s not a skill

GSAA on hockey-reference uses league average save percentage and yes, is basically just a way to amalgamate workload and save percentage relative to the league average that year. It's a basic stat that helps narrow things down across eras but has the same flaws as SV%. The GSAA that people who tout advanced stats for goalies and I'm assuming that poster is referring to, uses shot quality to try to determine what an average goalie in the same situation would save and compares the goalie against this figure.

As for your example, this is an exaggeration that doesn't happen in real life. Over a significant sample of games these things balance out provided goalies play a similar number of games. No one gets shutouts every game and no one faces 20 more shots than another goalie every game. The purpose of the stat is to take both defense and workload into consideration. You should expect the goalie facing many fewer shots to give up fewer goals against and he isn't "better" simply for having done so. Yes, games played is a factor in the stat, because it's about value over the year. Playing more games at a high level is more valuable than playing fewer. But if you want to see who is performing better per game, you just divide the stat by games played. It's no different than skater point totals in that regard.

Last edited:

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Eye test is more important here. I hate the Ducks with a passion, but have no problems saying how good Gibson is. Like, without him the Ducks are probably a bottom 3 caliber team.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
As a Kings fan and, as a result, a Duck hater, Gibson is easily a top 5 goalie. But thats what happens you dont watch actual games and based your opinions on stats

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Even if you want to ignore advanced goalie stats, from the start of the 16-17 season to January 1st last year, Gibson had a .925 SV% over 143 games, which was the best among all goalies outside of small samples during this time period (Jack Campbell was better in 20 games and no other goalie with more than 10 games was ahead). It was around that time that he was really being pushed as the best in the league and it was a fair opinion at the time. He slowed down toward the end of last season though, and hasn't been on his game this year. But with the volatility of goalies, I think people are more willing to think this is just a rough patch given his age, and the fact that playing for a team you know isn't going anywhere isn't a powerful motivator.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Lol are you seriously pretending GSAA means everything? Last I checked GSAA does not take the difficulty of chances into consideration either does it? In fact it has the exact same issue as save% pretending somehow it’s better is nonsense.
Nice fan stat tho it sounds fancy
There are several sites with their own expected goals models.

MoneyPuck:
Variables In Shot Prediction Model:
1.) Shot Distance From Net
2.) Time Since Last Game Event
3.) Shot Type (Slap, Wrist, Backhand, etc)
4.) Speed From Previous Event
5.) Shot Angle
6.) East-West Location on Ice of Last Event Before the Shot
7.) If Rebound, difference in shot angle divided by time since last shot
8.) Last Event That Happened Before the Shot (Faceoff, Hit, etc)
9.) Other team's # of skaters on ice
10.) East-West Location on Ice of Shot
11.) Man Advantage Situation
12.) Time since current Powerplay started
13.) Distance From Previous Event
14.) North-South Location on Ice of Shot
15.) Shooting on Empty Net

Using their model:
upload_2020-2-15_16-48-24.png

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Because consistency is by far the rarest thing to find in a goalie, and it's something that Gibson has.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The Flames just beat the Ducks 6-0 and I can say without question that I haven't witnessed a team lay down like that in a long time. They had a good 10 minute stretch, but when the Flames got another goal they completely collapsed again. Point is, the team in front of him is crap and has been for a couple years now.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
GSAA on hockey-reference uses league average save percentage and yes, is basically just a way to amalgamate workload and save percentage relative to the league average that year. It's a basic stat that helps narrow things down across eras but has the same flaws as SV%. The GSAA that people who tout advanced stats for goalies and I'm assuming that poster is referring to, uses shot quality to try to determine what an average goalie in the same situation would save and compares the goalie against this figure.

As for your example, this is an exaggeration that doesn't happen in real life. Over a significant sample of games these things balance out provided goalies play a similar number of games. No one gets shutouts every game and no one faces 20 more shots than another goalie every game. The purpose of the stat is to take both defense and workload into consideration. You should expect the goalie facing many fewer shots to give up fewer goals against and he isn't "better" simply for having done so. Yes, games played is a factor in the stat, because it's about value over the year. Playing more games at a high level is more valuable than playing fewer. But if you want to see who is performing better per game, you just divide the stat by games played. It's no different than skater point totals in that regard.

But it does happen in real life that’s the thing, not every game but some games it makes zero sense

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
But that's why you don't look at individual games to draw conclusions

It’s also why flawed math giving a goalie props for having a puck shot at him should not be used
2 goals against on 40 of the same valued shots vrs zero goals against on 40 shots has the same value....that’s not advanced that’s stupidity and a fan stat trying to “sell” what they created with zero logic behind it. Any real world statistical analysis it would be thrown it in the garbage due to the flaw I just showed you.
Some stats work some do not this one does not.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The Flames just beat the Ducks 6-0 and I can say without question that I haven't witnessed a team lay down like that in a long time. They had a good 10 minute stretch, but when the Flames got another goal they completely collapsed again. Point is, the team in front of him is crap and has been for a couple years now.
We’re atrocious, but to be fair, the team had just witnessed the Bouwmeester incident in the game before and I think that greatly affected us for that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad