Why are people here so high on John Gibson, and talk about him as the best goalie in the world?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There's a series of polls going on to rank goalies in the poll section, and Gibson was just voted 2nd best goalie by HF this week. I know all of last season, there was also talk of him being the best goalie in the world all over these forums.

I'll be honest - I just don't get it. Why?

This year he has a 902 sv%, and 3.04 GAA.
Last year he had a 917 sv%, with a 2.84 GAA.

His 902 sv% is 41st among goalies this season. If you expand it to goalies with 35 games played, it bumps up to 14th. 30 games played, places him 22nd. This is average, to below average numbers at best.

Even last year with his 917 sv% - for goalies with more than 30 games played, he finished 16th in sv%. With more than 45 games played, he bumps up to 9th. Again, average at best.

He finished 10th in Vezina voting last year. 4 years ago - he finished 7th in Vezina voting. But he only played 40 games. Those are his two best finishes ever.

I think he's a fine goalie, and if people want to rank him top ~10 or so that's fine. And if people want to talk about his potential and about how in the future he might rise to the best in the league, i suppose that'd be ok too. But why all the talk of him currently being #1, or 2, or in that vicinity? I just don't see it.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
giphy.gif

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Are you seriously using raw save % and GAA? Those are trash stats that don't account for the difficulty of chances he faces. He was first in GSAA last year, which is why he was one of the best goalies in the league last year.

I dont really get the merit of GSAA. It also has no bearing on difficulty of chances/shot quality as far as i understand.

Also a quick cursory glance shows that he's 74th in GSAA this season. Is it really such a great and representative statistic where a goalie can go from 1st to 74th in one season?

Finally - i also looked at Vezina placements on top of sv%. He's never been recognized as a top goalie, even last year where he was 10th.

Combining all of this - i absolutely dont understand why some slot him as high as they do

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Maybe it’s because he is one of the best goalies in the world? Gonna throw that out there, just a thought.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Are you seriously using raw save % and GAA? Those are trash stats that don't account for the difficulty of chances he faces. He was first in GSAA last year, which is why he was one of the best goalies in the league last year.

Lol are you seriously pretending GSAA means everything? Last I checked GSAA does not take the difficulty of chances into consideration either does it? In fact it has the exact same issue as save% pretending somehow it’s better is nonsense.
Nice fan stat tho it sounds fancy

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
I am in love with John Gibson the way I was with Patrick Roy. Don't think he's a great goalie? Watch the Ducks play. During this season, we haven't seen the best of Gibson. And he's still been elite. In this case - the numbers do lie! He's the kind of guy who wins you games.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

I’m going to take a second and ask you a serious question about GSAA if you want to talk trash stats.
Let’s say league average is 1 goal on 10 shots, After 2 games I have two shutouts and 20 shots per game, giving me a +4
You have let in 2 goals on 40 shots both games giving you a +4
Me being perfect am now tied with you and your 4 goals against.
In both my games together 40 shots I gave up zero goals, you are giving up 2 goals per 40 shots yet it’s a tie?
Lol that’s what I call a trash stat no matter how you try to church it up.
Care to tell me the great mind that came up with this stat and why anyone would take it serious?
You can’t give a goalie ‘points’ because the other team shoots the puck at him it’s not a skill

Last edited:
Reactions: 63 others

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
He's currently having the worst season of his career, but if you watched him over the past 3 you would see just how much he bailed this team out. If it wasnt for him we would have been the worst team in the league last year.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's always easy to pick out who does and who doesn't watch the Ducks.

He straight up wins them games. That's it. Having a down year by his standards, but that doesn't mean he falls off the map entirely.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
he's carrying that team and i think ducks fans would be the first to tell you that

i don't think he's the best goalie in the world but he's winning them games and it's undeniable

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I watched the Ducks and I can tell you that Victor Fasth was as good as Gibson, if not better. I felt better when Fasth was in net actually.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I watched the Ducks and I can tell you that Victor Fasth was as good as Gibson, if not better. I felt better when Fasth was in net actually.
different kind of goalie, i still kinda hang onto the idea that trading andersen was a mistake but they've both turned out to be very good goalies

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Seems to be having a down year but every other year he's been great - also Anaheim isn't very good this year so that won't help

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I would argue that Gibson was the NHL's top goalie for a brief period (1-2 years).

His team isn't good - there's no doubt. But he's obviously struggling.

If you go back to January 1st, 2019 - 67 starts - Gibson is sporting a .904 SV%. That is not up to snuff, bad team or not.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The Ducks are terrible. They could've run away with 31st place last season if not for Gibson. I'll grant that this year doesn't seem to be his best work, but that's goalies for you. They're just kind of volatile.

Reactions: DaveG

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Awful team, unreal goalie... it sucks cause his best years are being wasted IMO.

Even his value in fantasy pools are low just cause unfortunately he gets alot of losses

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Top tier for sure. Tough to keep playing your balls off every night when the team in front of you sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad