Why are hockey players boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
not really boring but hockey players are just like regular people...they dont say too much stupid stuff and dont do a lot of stupid things

better question is why some athletes in other sports always seem to get in the news for bad things like saying something stupid or doing something dumb

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
What makes LeBron more interesting than Sid?
Outside of Basketball, what else is LeBron known for?
putting kids through school, active supporter of Boys and Girls club of America, has his own charity foundation (LeBron James Family foundation), partnered up with the Ohio school board to give aid to struggling students, spent $41 MILLION to put kids through college. not to mention his endorsements which i won't get into.

I'm not hating on Sid, but you're acting like LeBron is just "another player". His on the court + off the court greatness makes him who he is, you can't hate on that.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Bang on.

Amongst the fans as well who don't exactly make the sport welcoming to non traditional demographics who may be interested in picking up the sport. Seeing a lot of regressive and ignorant racially coded posts in this thread attempting to opine on "valueless", "arrogant", "me-first" and supposedly "uneducated" athletes in other sports.

Yup.

There's multiple factors here. Athletes in other sports are given more platforms: you see tons of commercials starring Aaron Rodgers and Lebron, not so much any hockey players. They get interviewed constantly about things that aren't necessarily sport-related. Other sports are a bigger deal, so athletes get more opportunities to display their personalities.

Hockey is also culturally conservative. We really do crucify any player that displays a bit of flair. With the little media training that they get (compared to athletes in other sports) they're pretty much told to just say nothing and offend no one.

Hockey is also, demographically, very uniform. The vast, vast, vast majority of the league are white men from upper-middle-class-or-higher backgrounds. There's some solidly middle class guys and some guys who worked their way up from tough situations, but it's a really expensive game to play growing up. Whether American, Canadian, Swedish, or Russian, you can bet most players are from a well-off family somewhere. And the fanhood follows that, too.

That's my background, as well, and I am perfectly confident in saying most of the people I went to high school with are pretty damn boring. I've lived all over and worked in everything from dive bars to restaurants to retail stores to music venues and now a corporate media company. 95% of the 300ish people I work with now are white folks from the suburbs. There were more genuinely interesting personalities in 20-person bar staffs I worked on, where you had college grads from the burbs and high school dropouts from the city and everyone in between. For the same reason, NHL rosters honestly don't have too many people with unique perspectives on them, and those that have them don't really have much opportunity to display them.

There's no problem with hockey players. It's just the nature of the game and its longtime viewership. Were it not mostly a wealthy white people's sport, both on the ice and in the stands, it'd be a different situation.

Last edited:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
What does that even mean? Even if he did change his ways, it still doesn't compensate for the antiquated culture he fostered for 40 years now. He's a fool and he can't even be bothered to learn the players' names.
He complains that he doesn't have enough time on air but out of the 10 minutes he has on Coach's Corner, he takes more than half to talk about something unrelated to hockey.

You accuse me of being "jaded towards mankind", whatever that means, but you go listen to Don Cherry critcizing an entire country or an entire community? Please.

good luck, you're gonna need it.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Because they are not attention ****es.

Because anyone who is slightly outgoing is portrayed as attention whores. Its an old boys club and for some reason personality is frowned upon by old guys. You scored your goal now lower your head and feel shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The hockey media actively discourages players from showing any personality, while simultaneously complaining that hockey players are boring interviews.

Ovechkin, Subban, etc show flashes of personality, and get roasted for it.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
its kind of like baseball, but I think baseball is moving further away from the boring/traditionalist culture faster than hockey is

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
The league is thrash at marketing. They have been pushing the "family friendly, politically correct" image for the sport for years, both on the ice and off the ice. As the years go by the sport has less and less personality. And any flash of personality, emotion or passion that is shown, both on the ice and off the ice, the league and/or media snuffs it out.

The media and the league have turned this sport into an analytics driven, bore fest played by robots. Hockey used to be a hard nosed blue collar sport; now it's turning into Disney on ice. Fighting is almost extinct, rivalries are non existent and pretty soon, hitting will be gone as well, all in the name of supposedly "opening up the game" which hasn't happened either as offensive numbers are comparable to the dead puck era. Next thing you know, we will have a hit-less, fight-less, rivalry-less, low scoring, defensive, analytics driven game played by boring, politically correct robots with no personality. How anyone can think the NHL is heading in the right direction is beyond me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
putting kids through school, active supporter of Boys and Girls club of America, has his own charity foundation (LeBron James Family foundation), partnered up with the Ohio school board to give aid to struggling students, spent $41 MILLION to put kids through college. not to mention his endorsements which i won't get into.

I'm not hating on Sid, but you're acting like LeBron is just "another player". His on the court + off the court greatness makes him who he is, you can't hate on that.
Crosby does charity work too and also has his own foundation, he just doesn't advertise it.

When it comes to giving, Sidney Crosby does as much as he can

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
First, in the NHL, fans follow teams more than they do players. This will always be the case. Hockey fans, like its sport, are usually people of a conservative/collective nature.

In general, across all sports, individual players are less noticeable than one time, due to the parity within sports today. Wayne Gretzky was in commercials all the time, because he stood out that much more than his opponents not the ice. The same can be said for Michael Jordan, he like Gretzky stood out much more than their competition, and successfully launched his shoe line, the Jordans.

You've mistaken eras for sports. Everything today has become less marketable, because people are less interested celebrities compared to past times. Selfies, instagram, live streaming, etc. iPhone. Technology today, makes it so that everyone can market themselves for free.

Firstly, boring is a subjective term. For you they are boring, for others they are not boring. What makes a guy like LeBron James more interesting than a guy like Sidney Crosby, both the faces of their sports. Objectively I don't see LeBron standing out more than Sid.
Its also hard for companys to want to endorse players because as soon as they do they say something dumb in a presser or tweet something stupid.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
While fans like Steve Avery and PK. Teams do not. Also, does anyone here actually work for an NHL team and have regular interaction with players? I mean such as riding buses, planes and or spending time in the gym with them. Hockey is a team sport and more and more individuality is viewed as hurting the team.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I for one am glad that they are not like baseball, football, and basketball players. I can relate to them so much more easily the way they are. Still the common man in them.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
I for one am glad that they are not like baseball, football, and basketball players. I can relate to them so much more easily the way they are. Still the common man in them.
Ha, if you can relate to robots, I think that says more about yourself than it says about baseball, football, and basketball players.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What makes LeBron more interesting than Sid?
Outside of Basketball, what else is LeBron known for?

Well we have to start with what LeBron is known for inside of basketball. Here's a guy who runs his own agency - a good chunk of the NBA are actually represented by LeBron's company. Here's a guy who has openly stated that he's chasing the GOAT. Here's a guy who basically acts as his team's coach, dictating X's and O's. Here's a guy who's completely ambidextrous. Here's the guy who made headlines with "The Decision" and "The Decision II".

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I believe it's 100% a culture thing - hockey players seem to reverse-brag about their individual accomplishments. Sometimes when listening to the interviews you get a sense they have a contest how much they manage to downplay their individual skills/plays etc. When someone actually is honest about things, they get very easily branded as "arrogant". I realize for many players interviews etc. are just a mandatory chore and they just want to get them over with as little thought and involvment on their part as possible. The result is you get these standard jargon answers that don't really mean anything or say anything other than state the obvious.

Reactions: iMissKovy

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
as fans, the owner, coach, GM etc.

why the heck you even want your players to have big character and big personalities...you know, just show up to work, work hard, go home, be good to your family, then come back to work again, stay out of trouble and dont say stupid things

the only people who want less boring athletes are media people, and the media sucks

Reactions: MisterNoItAll

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Just watch the behind the scenes shows some of the NHL teams have. These guys are from boring and lacking charisma. They are actually, in many cases, very funny and have strong personalities. NHL players celebrate goals just as players in other sports celebrate scoring. They talk trash to each other on the ice, just as other sports players talk trash on the field/court. They prank each other relentlessly at times in the room, just as players in other sports do. I'm not sure what people are expecting of them. Are they supposed to start contrived Twitter wars? Are they supposed to dance around like fools on the ice? Are they supposed to commit crimes in their personal time? Exactly what are people looking for? You have guys from all over the world in the NHL, all trying to make it in the league with players chomping at the bit behind them to unseat them from their job. There is not a lot of room for foolishness just to entertain some hack journalists and fans who need to stick to watching pro wrestling.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Yup.

There's multiple factors here. Athletes in other sports are given more platforms: you see tons of commercials starring Aaron Rodgers and Lebron, not so much any hockey players. They get interviewed constantly about things that aren't necessarily sport-related. Other sports are a bigger deal, so athletes get more opportunities to display their personalities.

Hockey is also culturally conservative. We really do crucify any player that displays a bit of flair. With the little media training that they get (compared to athletes in other sports) they're pretty much told to just say nothing and offend no one.

Hockey is also, demographically, very uniform. The vast, vast, vast majority of the league are white men from upper-middle-class-or-higher backgrounds. There's some solidly middle class guys and some guys who worked their way up from tough situations, but it's a really expensive game to play growing up. Whether American, Canadian, Swedish, or Russian, you can bet most players are from a well-off family somewhere. And the fanhood follows that, too.

That's my background, as well, and I am perfectly confident in saying most of the people I went to high school with are pretty damn boring. I've lived all over and worked in everything from dive bars to restaurants to retail stores to music venues and now a corporate media company. 95% of the 300ish people I work with now are white folks from the suburbs. There were more genuinely interesting personalities in 20-person bar staffs I worked on, where you had college grads from the burbs and high school dropouts from the city and everyone in between. For the same reason, NHL rosters honestly don't have too many people with unique perspectives on them, and those that have them don't really have much opportunity to display them.

There's no problem with hockey players. It's just the nature of the game and its longtime viewership. Were it not mostly a wealthy white people's sport, both on the ice and in the stands, it'd be a different situation.
I couldn't agree more.

Excellent post, by the way.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Well we have to start with what LeBron is known for inside of basketball. Here's a guy who runs his own agency - a good chunk of the NBA are actually represented by LeBron's company. Here's a guy who has openly stated that he's chasing the GOAT. Here's a guy who basically acts as his team's coach, dictating X's and O's. Here's a guy who's completely ambidextrous. Here's the guy who made headlines with "The Decision" and "The Decision II".

All of what you said is irrelevant. LeBron will never be bigger than Jordan. Jordan will remain the GOAT, by quite a margin too. LeBron had to jump ship to win his first championship, a GOAT doesn’t do that. The rest of what you said is not convincing the slightest. You even admit yourself, Lebron is known inside of basketball, hence not outside of it. Well, Sid is also known inside of hockey. Sid won every title there is, he didn’t have to jump ship either. He doesn’t need to act like a celebrity either to increase his value.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
who cares, hockey is the best sport, those other sports need "Personality" because that is the only way they are able to sell the sport, Hockey is the best and the most exciting game and that is why it is interesting, a league like the NBA is boring as all hell that is why it is needing the "drama" to help sell it, it is kind of like the WWE in a way

why is hockey losing viewership to the world series of poker then?

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
what i've learned from this thread: football, basketball and soccer aren't team games, hockey is a blue collar sport, owners literally own the players and can tell them what to do, everyone associated with hockey can brag about how humble they are while remaining humble, wanting your players to be good at the sport and also entertaining Is Bad, charity is bad unless you murder everyone who knows that you donated, hockey fans are "Totally Not Racist but...", and anyone who dislikes don cherry is a social justice warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad