Why Alfredsson > Sundin

stigs17

Dec 3, 2005
Last week, Ottawa did an excellent job in honoring their best modern player, Daniel Alfredsson, a franchise model of excellence for future generations.

On the day of Alfredsson’s retirement, the insolent SN posse (Millard, Kypreos, MacLean) could not resist posing their resentment, explaining why Alfredsson is inferior to Sundin. Could the pro-Toronto bias not take ONE day to properly respect the far and away best player in modern Ottawa Senator history?

The pro-Toronto posse's explanation for Sundin’s superiority? A simplistic, mundane look at career numbers and a 192-point regular season differential in 100 extra games. To think these puppets are actually salaried for biased discourse.

Reflecting on the magnificent career, Daniel Alfredsson deserves better. WAY BETTER. Don't hold your breath on any media monkey actually doing their job and conducting solid research. Thus I have taken the honor.

Below is a proper, objective analysis. Like many of the older paying fans, I saw 90-95% of Alfie’s games, many in person, including dozens of Sundin’s games.

1. Starting Age
-Sundin started his NHL career at 19, playing with Hall of Famer Joe Sakic.
-Alfredsson started his NHL career two months shy of 23, playing with Tom Chorske and a mix of Randy Cunneyworth and disgruntled Radek Bonk & Alexei Ya$hin.
(*Even with a modest 50 points per season – less than an average second-liner in the early 90s, Alfredsson lost 250+ points in those five seasons, more than offsetting Sundin's 192-point advantage in the regular season – the lone measure Sundin holds an advantage over Alfredsson.)

2. NHL Eras
-Sundin's best years were his initial years in Quebec in 1990-1994, scoring 334 points in his first four seasons in a wide-open era where the average team scored 3.6 goals per game.
-Alfredsson never had the benefit of playing in this explosive offensive era. Comparatively, in his first four seasons (the start of the dead-puck era which lasted his first nine seasons in the league, covering his offensive peak), the average team scored 2.6 goals per game, or 28% fewer goals than Sundin's era. Moreover, still feeling the effects of expansion, the Sens were the worst team in the NHL, averaging a paltry 2.3 goals. Since Sundin’s retirement, average NHL scoring for Alfredsson consistently held at 2.7 goals per game (including non-statistical shootout goals), on par with the 2.6 dead puck era.

3. 2004-05: The Lost Season
-Sundin lost a full season in 2003-04 in his twilight, averaging 75 points. He sat the season out.
-Alfredsson lost a full season at the top of his game in 2003-04 when he was a top-10 NHL scorer. The following season, he scored 103 points, the most in his 18-season, 19-year career. Realistically, he was robbed of 100-110+ points and likely another lengthy Cup run. Alfredsson went back to Sweden and led Frolunda HC to the SEL Championship, scoring 12 goals in 14 playoff games in the second-best league in the world.

4. Playoffs: Team Results
-Despite playing on many teams built for the playoffs with payrolls in excess of $80 million, Sundin only made the Conference finals twice, smoked by Buffalo 4-1 in 1999 and 4-2 to Carolina in 2002.
-Despite playing on many soft teams with poor goaltending who underachieved in the playoffs with payrolls under $40 million, Alfredsson led the Sens to the Conference finals twice. In the first run, losing by a goal in game 7 of the ECF. In the second run, steamrolling PIT/NJ/BUF with a 12-3 record (which could easily be 15-0 given the domination in every game), becoming the first European-born & trained captain to lead a club to the Stanley Cup. With the ill-timed 2004-05 lockout, denied another legit shot at a Cup with what most experts believe was the best team in their post-modern history.

5. Playoffs: Individual Stats
-In 18 NHL seasons, Sundin made the playoffs 10 times (55%). He scored 38 goals and 82 points.
-In 18 NHL seasons, Alfredsson made the playoffs 16 times (89%), including 11 straight years on a small-market club. He scored 51 goals and 100 points when the games mattered most, including one run with a severe MCL knee sprain, one with a sports hernia and multiple years with chronic back issues.

6. Team Sweden - Olympics
-Sundin played in 3 Olympic games over a span of 8 years in his prime, scoring 11 goals and 20 points. He captained the Gold Medal squad in 2006.
-Alfredsson played in 5 Olympic games over a span of 16 years skewed to his back nine, scoring 13 goals and 27 points. In 2006, he led Team Sweden in scoring to earn a Gold Medal. In 2014, at the age of 41, he led Sweden again to a Silver Medal on a wonky back vs an unbeatable Team Canada.

(Unfair to look at World Championships, as they are never best-on-best tourneys. Sundin played more here as a direct result of missing the playoffs 8x, many in his prime, thus this is a measure of NHL failures).

(Similarly, NHL All-Star appearances are severely flawed, as there was no game in 2005, 2006, 2010, 2013, four guaranteed years).

7. Depth of On-Ice Roles
-Sundin was a top-line forward and top-line PP forward most of his career.
-Alfredsson was a top-line forward, ran the PP from the point (where points are more sparse), and top-line penalty killer most of his career.

8. Back Nine Production & Retirement Age
-Sundin's final game in Vancouver was at 38 years, 2 months. After the 1998-99 season (age 28) he never surpassed 80 points in a season. In his final NHL season, he accepted an $8.5 million U.S. one-year contract in Vancouver, showed up out of shape, scored 9 goals, was predominantly used on the PP and was a healthy scratch in the playoffs.
-Alfredsson's final game in Detroit was at 41 years, 5 months. From the 2002-03 season (age 30) onwards, Alfredsson eclipsed the 80-point mark 4x and averaged over a point a game 6x. Live a fine wine, he improved with age. At age 33, he was the best player at the 2006 Olympic Games. In 2007, at age 34, he led the NHL in playoff scoring and led the Sens to the Stanley Cup Finals. Throughout his career, he was used on the top line of the PK. In his final season, he ran the point of the Detroit PP, averaging over 0.72 points per game, marginally below his career average of 0.93.
(*Given that the peak age for scoring production among forwards is 28, Alfredsson pushed his career over 13 years past the prime for NHL forwards, 3.5 years past a finished Sundin.)

9. Adversity
-Sundin had to deal with a media zoo for most of his career. Beyond missing 12 games with a broken orbital bone, the 6’5†Swede was durable, and never faced any significant injuries (averaged 79 games in non-lockout years). With BUF, OTT, FLA, TB, DET, WPG, EDM, CGY, VAN, etc., routinely played 60+ home games each year.
-Alfredsson had to deal with a smaller Canadian media circus. However, he had to endure significant adversity over his tenure in Ottawa including:
-a bankrupt owner withholding paycheques & monthly press conferences crying poor, threatening to fold team with a weak CDN $ (Bryden);
-multiple contract holdouts from team ‘captain’ (Ya$hin);
-shady practices of a corrupt, two-faced GM (Gauthier) led to brief personal holdout;
-seeing the departure of buddies and NHL superstars in their prime for financial reasons when the team was peaking (Hossa, Havlat, Chara,etc.);
-at 5’11â€, undersized in an increasingly big man’s NHL game;
-prime of his career played with an exceedingly defensive-minded coach (Martin) who preached defense-first play for even elite forwards;
-prima-donna PP linemate demanding trade in public and subsequently handicapping team (Heatley);
-revolving door of coaches (Bowness-Allison-Martin-Neilson-Murray-Paddock-Murray-Hartsburg-Clouston-MacLean);
-revolving door of GMs (Sexton, Gauthier, Dudley, Johnston, Muckler, Murray);
-often played through injury including recurring back flare-ups, MCL sprains, knee surgery, back surgery, broken ribs and sports hernia (likely other unpublished);
-recovery pressure given pathetic team winning % when out of lineup (sat out just one game with broken ribs);
-calls to be dealt by a large portion of the fan base after a slow start in 2006;
-cheapskate owner (Melnyk), 2007 Cup run rewarded with six years of rebuilds prior to his sudden departure to Detroit;
-played 17 seasons where he was constantly booed in his ‘home’ arena for each Toronto & Montreal game (to a lesser extent western Canada), effectively playing 50+ road games each year;
-either lowballed (his account) or ignored & assumed to be coming back (Murray’s account) in 2013 contract talks after giving several years of hometown discounts, including $1 million – barely above league minimum – in leading Sens to 2nd round.

10. Leadership & Community Service
-Sundin served as team captain in Toronto for 10 years. Provided a model of consistency for a stagnant franchise which was annually among the top NHL spenders … with mediocre results. His main charitable work was at PartyPoker.
-Alfredsson served as team captain in Ottawa for 13 years (#1 in the NHL). A soft-spoken leader who led by example on the ice. Was elected by his peers as NHLPA VP for most of his career. Spearheaded a courageous mental illness awareness campaign with the Royal Ottawa Hospital. Provided a home for many young Senators over the years, including superstar EK65 and budding #1 goalie Lehner (who later bought his home at a discount).

11. NHL Awards
-Sundin won the Messier Award in 2008. Elected to HHof in 2012, his first year of eligibility.
-Alfredsson won the Calder Rookie of the Year in 1996, the Carbonneau in 2008, the King Clancy in 2012 and Messier Award in 2013. Finalist in Lady Byng (2x), Selke & Masterton Trophies. HHoF almost a certainty.

12. Career Highlights/Legacy
-Sundin's biggest victory was Gold in 2006, with Alfredsson leading the team in scoring. He was a #1 overall pick in 1989 and largely fulfilled the hype (though not the best player in his class – #54 Lidstrom, #74 Fedorov, #221 Konstantinov?). Longest playoff run was 10 wins. Mocked for years for foolishly throwing broken stick into crowd.
-Alfredsson's biggest victory was leading the Senators to the Stanley Cup Final in 2007. Second was leading Sweden to Olympic Gold in 2006. Third either leading Olympic Silver in 2014 or one goal from Stanley Cup Final in 2003. Despite being drafted #133 overall, will go down as the best player to emerge from the 1994 NHL Draft. Mocked for years for Krusty the Clown look.

13. Post-Retirement Contribution to the NHL
-For Sundin, other than the odd NHLPA charity game, nil.
-Alfredsson TBD. (My guess would be director of European scouting or a special advisory role in Ottawa + continued civic leadership).

Even before adjusting for the four lost seasons from age 19-22 and not having the benefit of playing in the high-flying early 90s, Alfredsson has had the better overall career in every objective measure beyond simple regular season goal totals. But these breakdowns are too complicated for the masses to grasp.

Meanwhile, these pro-Toronto CBC/SN muppets push Sundin as a first ballot HoF, while despised enemy Alfredsson deserves no consideration.

When I asked Jeff O’Neill why Sundin is a first ballot HOF and Alfredsson deserves no consideration, after 20 seconds of MacT-like bumbling and stumbling, Sundin was a ‘superstar’ and Alfredsson was a ‘great player.’ WTF? Ottawa hate aside, how can any of these biased ‘journalists’ be taken seriously? How can networks (SN, CBC) so blatantly defraud the public with their biased pro-Toronto rhetoric?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Great job stigs. Just shows how biased and little some of these guys know. Jeff Oneill makes me laugh.

stigs17

Dec 3, 2005
Cheers, boys.

Nice to see logic win over anger & resentment, which dominates these boards. Don't understand why the generally good-great mods let the hate dominate.

Should add I was scouting rec league in LA with Sundin prior to the VAN comeback, and could blatantly see the deterioration.

Time will tell whether Daniel comes back. Sure hope the Sens see the immense value this man brings.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Nicely done. I was expecting to brush this off as silly but I enjoyed reading your comprehensive, and heavily biased, research.

Much better analysis than anything I've ever seen from any "media monkeys."

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Bias journalism at its best comes from Toronto. The people are all herded like cattle and brainwashed into whatever the popular belief is. Reminds me of jocks and prep mentality in high school. No individuality, no critical thinking skills, just spoon fed hypocrisy.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The only arguments I ever hear for Sundin being better is,

1. 500 goals (Which Alfie would have if he began his career at 19)
2. Better ppg (thanks to a higher scoring era and retiring before he faced an offensive decline)
3. Worse line mates (true however Alfie only had 3 years with the CASH line, that's around the same amount of time Sundin played in the high scoring era with a very offensive team and good line mates)
4. International (It's true that Sundin lead Sweden to a gold, however Alfie lead his team to a final, and he was also the leading scorer for both the gold medal and the playoff run)

Leaf fans honestly are (unwillingly) blinded by their love for Mats and can't see the truth, and since Sundin got far more attention playing for a huge market like Toronto, people probably heard more about him and therefore assumed he is better. That's how the myth started. In reality, Alfie and Sundin's offense is very close, while Alfie was miles better defensively and a better leader.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Biased as it is. Both players are very close.

One bias is starting age. Sundin was plainly a lot better then Alfie when they were younger. A lot. Sundin picked first overall and I think needed to miss his first year due to Military committment, not because he was not NHL ready. Alfredsson... Undrafted. Drafted in second year of eligibility.

However Alfredsson was undeniably better as an older player. From about 2003... Alfredsson is a better player. Certainly better post lockout year. Alfredsson has the best playoffs in 2007 of either.

Sundin is superior internationally (though Alfie was always great). Sundin is the best Swede ever internationally... Over Forsberg and Lidstrom even.

Healthwise it is Sundin. Both Alfie and Sundin were consistent their whole careers... But for awhile Alfie kept missing significant chunks if seasons.

It is very close overall. Sundin easily is better under 30 years old and Alfie better after 30.

I can see why most pick Sundin overall. There is am argument either way. Both are clearly HHOFers.

I would take 2005-2008 Alfie over any year of Sundin though.

stigs17

Dec 3, 2005
Zero bias here, pure scouting my friend. Different world.

Glad to see a predominantly lack of biased hatred here. Might be a first.

If, at worst, Sundin is equal, why would any Toronto muppet deem Alfredsson not HOF worthy?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Brilliant post Stig17 ,well done

Jeff O'Neill was on TSN 1200 yesterday again yammering on that Alfie should not be
in the Hall of Fame though Sundin should which is, of course, a ridiculous assertion.

But as has been mentioned, Sundin played in Toronto, home of the National (Leaf fans) sports media.

I have a prediction. This thread will soon be invaded by outraged Leaf fans.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

If, at worst, Sundin is equal, why would any Toronto muppet deem Alfredsson not HOF worthy?

I think we're reaching a point where most people on here who saw Sundin and Alfie at their best are a bit older than the rabid youth

If you had asked me how I felt about Sundin vs Alfie ten years ago, I'd be singing a very different tune :laugh:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

First... You are very biased. The biggest thing is starting age. Sundin was plainly far, far, far better then Alfredsson as a teenager or up to their mid 20's. It is undeniable. You can't say.. If Alfie was in the NHL at 19... He wasn't ready for the NHL at 19.

Sundin had superior physical skills. Alfredsson had a superior mind. It took time for Alfredsson to learn how to be as good as he was. It is why he peaked at 32/33/34 years old. It isn't uncommon. I would say St. Louis, Datsyuk, Zetterberg followed a similar trajectory to Alfredsson. Sundin was huge and fast and skilled. Over time Alfredsson caught Sundin... And perhaps surpassed Sundin's peak play due to Alfredsson's superior defensive play. Sundin was very good defensively. Alfredsson became elite defensively.

Sundin was more static. By his second season Sundin was kinda at his best and stayed at the same level until the lockout pretty much. Alfredsson, who's game was based on being smart... And really on all out effort... Kept improving every season until he was about 34 or so. Then he declined gradually because he was just getting old.

I like your post. But it is biased. Neither player deserves ANY what ifs.... At all. Both had long, storied and mostly healthy careers. Both had good and bad teams they played on, a mix of linemates. Both were great players. Pretty close overall. I understand picking Sundin for consistency... For size, for goalscoring. I understand picking Alfredsson for emotion, for relentlessness, for effort. I watched Alfie fail in the playoffs early in his career because he tried TOO hard. Did too much. 2007 playoffs... Is the best either of the two players ever played. Peak of either is 2005-2007 Alfredsson in my opinion. 2007 playoffs Alfie was a force of nature. Best player in those playoffs... Had harnessed his fire and desire to win so that he did not overdo it and become less effective by putting the team on his shoulders... He actually was able to do it.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Didn't Alfie outscore Sundin while they were both in the league? That's a pretty telling stat right there...

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Brilliant post Stig17 ,well done

Jeff O'Neill was on TSN 1200 yesterday again yammering on that Alfie should not be
in the Hall of Fame though Sundin should which is, of course, a ridiculous assertion.

But as has been mentioned, Sundin played in Toronto, home of the National (Leaf fans) sports media.

I have a prediction. This thread will soon be invaded by outraged Leaf fans.

What's worse is that neither Mendes nor Shawn Simpson bothered to put up an argument. Simpson agreed with O'Neill when he said that Sundin was elite and Alfredsson isn't. O'Neill said that the HOF should be reserved for the elite....what a dumbass

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
What's worse is that neither Mendes nor Shawn Simpson bothered to put up an argument. Simpson agreed with O'Neill when he said that Sundin was elite and Alfredsson isn't. O'Neill said that the HOF should be reserved for the elite....what a dumbass

Shawn Simpson is a dumb egoist. He just talks to hear himself talk. He contradicts his own opinions 2 weeks later.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Great post....You should email this off to those idiots at TSN and Sportsnet who think that Sundin was elite but Alfredsson wasn't.....Alfredsson was a better two way player than Sundin while getting almost as many points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad