Why $60 million to move Atlanta to Winnipeg?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is all from a article that's saying this is rumored. Remember, no word from the NHL or TNSE or ASG about this.

This is just the media thinking stuff up.

Until the NHL or TNSE go public with a said sale, I won't believe any of this. Bettman has crushed Winnipegs hopes years and years.

Bettman is the one who got their hopes up. He's the one that announced when the Coyotes were in bankruptcy court, that Winnipeg had first dibs. He certainly could have kept that open considering other markets were interested. Kansas City was courting the Penguins, where have they been since then?

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Bettman is the one who got their hopes up. He's the one that announced when the Coyotes were in bankruptcy court, that Winnipeg had first dibs. He certainly could have kept that open considering other teams were interested. Kansas City was courting the Penguins, where have they been since then?
From time to time I think of that as well. My guess they're on Bettman's poop list with all the boots connections

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Posted this in the other thread that sprang up, copying it here.

Regarding the reason why there's a relocation fee in general

There's a few ideas behind it. One is to prevent (discourage really) frivolous movement of franchises and the other is to ensure that franchises are only moved to areas that are financially viable. An owner isn't going to pay $60 million (or however much) just so he can lose more money.

It also attempts to prevent (or mitigate) "hostile" takeovers like the stuff with the Yotes because it's an extra cost on top of the purchase price of the team.

Further it helps to disperse the increase of value that is gained by moving a franchise to the other owners. Is it fair to the 29 owners that have been paying revenue sharing if I buy the Thrashers for $150 million, move them to Hamilton and then have a franchise with $250 million? A relocation fee helps reimburse them for that increase in franchise value that their support allowed me to inherit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad