Line Combos: Why #29 and #26 havent been tried for extended period of time?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
My guess is because Laine sucks balls at 5v5 simple as that!

Laine happened to lead the team first 2 seasons + playoffs on 5-on-5 goal differential. Well, tied with Scheifele, but much better numbers than anyone behind those two.

Therefore I am positive, that proper 5-on-5 usage for Laine should again show up as something other than "sucking balls", regardless how much you want him to fail. Quoting Laine: "prepare to lose".

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Simply put Maurice prefers Laine on RW which is why they don't play much together. Personally I really don't see a reason to play them together at 5 on 5 as that means (given our top 6 C's are both right shots) that there wouldn't be a left shot player to feed him.

I would like to see Scheifele/Laine with one of Connor/Perrault/Ehlers on the left.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Laine happened to lead the team first 2 seasons + playoffs on 5-on-5 goal differential. Well, tied with Scheifele, but much better numbers than anyone behind those two.

Therefore I am positive, that proper 5-on-5 usage for Laine should again show up as something other than "sucking balls", regardless how much you want him to fail. Quoting Laine: "prepare to lose".

What is it with some Jets “fans” that want to see Laine fail and even perpetuate untruths like that one? They’d probably rather miss out on the cup than having Laine being a part of it.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I don't think #26 and #29 match too well together, when being wingers on the same line. It's true that it has not been tested extensively, but anything we have seen 16-17 or 18-19 doesn't make me too extatic.

Besides, splitting them so that Laine plays with Scheifele and Wheeler plays with Little would benefit each and everyone, Jets the most, but not Captain Wheeler's personal points.

Try Connor-Scheifele-Laine & Ehlers-Little-Wheeler. I am amazed if those do not work much, much better than either of CSW & ELL.

The stretch when Wheeler and Laine player best together was when Wheeler was playing C for whatever reason.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Lots of reasons

Laine sucks at left wing defensively and rushing

Wheeler is first line RW

Wheeler gets 90 points with sheif and carries this team

Wheeler is the captain and badicly dictates where he plays

It also wouldnt be a problem if one of our young centers develops into a good second line center so Chevy is waiting for that( jets always wait things out )

I'm forgetting some for sure but those are my main reasons

The only problem I have is with your first sentence. For the brief time 29 spent on LW with 55/26 he was very good. Set up a few great plays off the rush and was probably the best player on that line during that time.

Other than that, yes it’s a log jam unfortunately until we get someone that can play center with laine or Wheeler does what is best for the team, which is at least try playing with Little.

Reactions: Ippenator

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Simply put Maurice prefers Laine on RW which is why they don't play much together. Personally I really don't see a reason to play them together at 5 on 5 as that means (given our top 6 C's are both right shots) that there wouldn't be a left shot player to feed him.

I would like to see Scheifele/Laine with one of Connor/Perrault/Ehlers on the left.

My preference would be Perreault > Ehlers > Connor here. Who knows, Perreault might not be up to it anymore (I bet most people think he's not). But imagine if that worked, Perreault's value would skyrocket and we'd have the luxury of having a beast like Connor on our third line with Copp and Roslo. Pipe dream perhaps.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The stretch when Wheeler and Laine player best together was when Wheeler was playing C for whatever reason.

Yes, exactly. Connor-Wheeler-Laine did work surprisingy well against all the odds. Yet again promoting Laine from ELL seemed to make wonders on him, and Wheeler adapted pretty well into a center, which is definitely not an easy task.

Yes, they were sheltered to some degree, and no, it's not feasible to form CWL given that Scheifele is healthy, but back then again Maurice was "forced to be a genious" by an injury. That sad injury for Scheifele made it possible to finally stop the blatant misuse of Laine, that was the thing first half of 17-18.

The Jets is the only team ever to greatly benefit for injuries, because Maurice is so dumb that he cannot find sane line combinations unless forced to them. That's odd.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad