Line Combos: Why #29 and #26 havent been tried for extended period of time?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Why is Wheeler top 3 passer in the league. Not play with one of the best sniper in the league? In 5on5?

For extended period of time?

There are 2 possible top 6 combos that Maurice can ice better than he had use for the last 2 years. Less Stastny time.

1st)
27-55-29
81-18-26

Or

2nd)
29-55-26
81-18-27

There is even a 3rd
81-55-27
29-18-26

?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
NEP2696290.jpg

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Why is Wheeler top 3 passer in the league. Not play with one of the best sniper in the league? In 5on5?

For extended period of time?

There are 2 possible top 6 combos that Maurice can ice better than he had use for the last 2 years. Less Stastny time.

1st)
27-55-29
81-18-26

Or

2nd)
29-55-26
81-18-27

There is even a 3rd
81-55-27
29-18-26

?
Valid question and potential combinations as well.
If we do the same old this year I’m hoping some member of the Winnipeg media asks this out loud

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Because Jets doesn't have a very good coach. They have one of the best snipers in the team but the coach wants him to play together with a center that should be in the 3rd line.
Little is still good enough to be a 2nd line center , drop Wheeler down with Little and Ehlers and have Schief with Laine and Connor . If Maurice has status quo to start the year and we don't get off to a good start it will be at his own demise .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wheeler with Laine would have caused +10M next contract for Laine.

It's that simple. They controlled the salary cap that way. Management probably designed it this way.

It's quite tricky now too. But would have been even trickier.

All in all, it will be nice to see that dynamic duo (Laine and Wheeler) together at next season. It will be pure gold.

In Finland Laine shined with Wheeler-carbon-copy playmaking right winger Kuusela at Tappara. They had Lowry-like Lajunen in the middle. Lajunen crashed the net, screened goalies, did win all lose pucks. Perfect chemistry. Championship. Laine playoffs MVP. Jets should just copy this.

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers
Laine - Lowry - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Roslovic
Vesalainen - Copp - Chibisov

Something totally new. That's how you create depth. Put some lesser player like Lowry with two good guys, which will compliment them. You can swap Little and Lowry, if you want, but Center would still play the same role, no matter what which one it is.

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Little is still good enough to be a 2nd line center , drop Wheeler down with Little and Ehlers and have Schief with Laine and Connor . If Maurice has status quo to start the year and we don't get off to a good start it will be at his own demise .
How many times have we had this discussion? ;) Almost shocking that we havent seen it. Guess the coach has his reasons...........

Reactions: Mbraunm and Jets 31

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
How many times have we had this discussion? ;) Almost shocking that we havent seen it. Guess the coach has his reasons...........

It’s reached the point where PoMo is so invested against it, he can’t try it now. Any success would further accentuate his inability to handle the bench last year.
He’s all in on status quo and will go down with the ship.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think Scheifele and/or Wheeler don't want to play with Laine at 5v5. i also am not a huge fan of Laine on the LW.

imo should be

Perreault-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Roslovic
Veslainen-Lowry-Appleton

Reactions: Jack722

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler with Laine would have caused +10M next contract for Laine.

It's that simple. They controlled the salary cap that way. Management probably designed it this way.

It's quite tricky now too. But would have been even trickier.

All in all, it will be nice to see that dynamic duo (Laine and Wheeler) together at next season. It will be pure gold.

In Finland Laine shined with Wheeler-carbon-copy playmaking right winger Kuusela at Tappara. They had Lowry-like Lajunen in the middle. Lajunen crashed the net, screened goalies, did win all lose pucks. Perfect chemistry. Championship. Laine playoffs MVP. Jets should just copy this.

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers
Laine - Lowry - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Roslovic
Vesalainen - Copp - Chibisov

Something totally new. That's how you create depth. Put some lesser player like Lowry with two good guys, which will compliment them. You can swap Little and Lowry, if you want, but Center would still play the same role, no matter what which one it is.
If Maurice / Jets were trying to sandbag Laine for contractual reasons, why did they play him for a remarkable 70% of the available PP time last season, compared to 57% in his second year and 50% in his rookie season?

Also, if Laine had the same shooting % last year as he did in his second year he would have scored around 47 goals, and he and his most ardent fans wouldn't be griping.

At this point in his career he's an elite shooter who didn't have elite shooting stats last season, despite getting more shot attempts than his first two seasons.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Maurice / Jets were trying to sandbag Laine for contractual reasons, why did they play him for a remarkable 70% of the available PP time last season, compared to 57% in his second year and 50% in his rookie season?

Also, if Laine had the same shooting % last year as he did in his second year he would have scored around 47 goals, and he and his most ardent fans wouldn't be griping.

At this point in his career he's an elite shooter who didn't have elite shooting stats last season, despite getting more shot attempts than his first two seasons.
Exactly , plus if Maurice /Jets were trying to sandbag guys for cheaper contracts both Connor and Laine would have been on the 4th line all year with very little PP time . It's amazing how many people blame everything except Laine for his play last season . He did score 30 goals though last season , he could have been alot worse .

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If you want to see the Jets 1st line pinned in their zone for 90 seconds every shift play these 3 together... If given awards for an inability to make a simple chip out of the zone or to them blowing the zone trying to get points with little regard to 5v5 defensive play these 3 would take the cake if played together IMHO... I don't like these 3 as a line if my post wasn't clear :D

I would like to see 55-29 and 18-26 but doubt PMO will try that

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Chevaldayoff informs his coach how this game is played and how they avoid those Toews-situations with cap after first Chicago Cup he witnessed close. And Maurice does what is asked.

Control the caphit.
If Laine is getting sandbagged then someone else is likely getting their value propped up, for instance Connor of 20 mins/night while on the top line. Whatever savings we incur on Laine being on the 2nd line might just bleed into Connors deal

Can u expand on your Toews-like comparison? He was their only option at 1c really. If they sandbagged Toews they probably don't win.
If the Jets continue to have an incompetent 2nd line (by virtue of sandbagging Laine) , which leads the top line getting tremendously overplayed (remember the excuses of being gassed in the PO's? ) they won't win the cup imo.

Obviously if they have a C that has chemistry on the 2nd line with Laine this may change, however, I think is close to 100% that it'll be Little as the 2c

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
i think Scheifele and/or Wheeler don't want to play with Laine at 5v5. i also am not a huge fan of Laine on the LW.

imo should be

Perreault-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Roslovic
Veslainen-Lowry-Appleton

Either Scheifele, Wheeler or Laine stated words to this effect over 2 years ago. I forget the context or if it was in jest, but months later I brought it up and was ridiculed for suggesting it even occurred and accused of fabricating the memory. It didn't help I couldn't find the interview in which it occurred.

Fast forward & now it appears to be a much more mainstream thought, but I'd agree there should be no reason that an elite level passer in Wheeler shouldn't wish to be padding his stats with the best pure shooter in the game.

Maurice has been reluctant to play the kids on their off wing, I guess wanting to develop their defensive game further before entrusting either Laine or Ehlers to play their preferred side. In Laine's case that puts him at odds with Wheeler, explaining why it's so rarely happened and it's further exemplified with Scheifele as doing so places three right shooting forwards on the same line.

A skilled left shooting centre is something the Jets have went after at the trade deadline for two consecutive seasons. It's a need that should be addressed with a long term solution other than these stop gap late season measures. There's not much in the system with high iq, mediocre skill Gustafsson being the best prospect. After that it's Harkins & McKenzie, both in all likelihood career AHL'ers. A 2019 4th rounder in Nikkanen rounds out the prospect pool of left shooting centres.

Personally I'd like to see Copp played further up the line up at centre this season, maybe something in the manner of:

1) Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
2) Connor-Copp-Laine
3) Perreault-Little-Roslovic
4) Vesalinen-Lowry-Appleton
Letestu

Last edited:

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
My guess is because Laine sucks balls at 5v5 simple as that!

Hmmm, ya that's a good point. I suspect Maurice would like to see Laine earn a top line spot. Also it would be more likely a 55 29 combo with Wheeler moving down.

I think he earned his place on the first line after his first 2 seasons:
min. 1500mins

G/60 5on5:

Laine 1.24
Ehlers 0.85
Scheifele 0.76
Little 0.76
Wheeler 0.73

P/60 5on5
Scheifele 2.41
Ehlers 2.22
Laine 2.16
Wheeler 1.97
Little 1.75

GF% 5on5
Copp 57.27
Scheifele 56.19
Laine 56.04
Wheeler 53.17
Ehlers 52.56
Little 49.04

As a teenager...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Either Scheifele, Wheeler or Laine stated words to this effect over 2 years ago. I forget the context or if it was in jest, but months later I brought it up and was ridiculed for suggesting it even occurred and accused of fabricating the memory. It didn't help I couldn't find the interview in which it occurred.

Fast forward & now it appears to be a much more mainstream thought,
but I'd agree there should be no reason that an elite level passer in Wheeler shouldn't wish to be padding his stats with the best pure shooter in the game.

Maurice has been reluctant to play the kids on their off wing, I guess wanting to develop their defensive game further before entrusting either Laine or Ehlers to play their preferred side. In Laine's case that puts him at odds with Wheeler, explaining why it's so rarely happened and it's further exemplified with Scheifele as doing so places three right shooting forwards on the same line.

A skilled left shooting centre is something the Jets have went after at the trade deadline for two consecutive seasons. It's a need that should be addressed with a long term solution other than these stop gap late season measures. There's not much in the system with high iq, mediocre skill Gustafsson being the best prospect. After that it's Harkins & McKenzie, both in all likelihood career AHL'ers. A 2019 4th rounder in Nikkanen rounds out the prospect pool of left shooting centres.

Personally I'd like to see Copp played further up the line up at centre this season, maybe something in the manner of:

1) Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
2) Connor-Copp-Laine
3) Perreault-Little-Roslovic
4) Vesalinen-Lowry-Appleton
Letestu
I was surprised when Paul Edmonds, who has typically toes the TNSE line and protects Scheif/Wheeler/Maurice to large extents, was the one who publicly suggested this a few weeks back

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

Because PP1 without Laine was horrible and would’ve cost the team a bunch of points and possibly a Play Off berth? Think about it – how reliant were the Jets of their high scoring PP, considering that they we’re quite bad at ES? There lies the answer to your question.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Because PP1 without Laine was horrible and would’ve cost the team a bunch of points and possibly a Play Off berth? Think about it – how reliant were the Jets of their high scoring PP, considering that they we’re quite bad at ES? There lies the answer to your question.

i think this is has already been exemplified in the 16-17 season.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Lots of reasons

Laine sucks at left wing defensively and rushing

Wheeler is first line RW

Wheeler gets 90 points with sheif and carries this team

Wheeler is the captain and badicly dictates where he plays

It also wouldnt be a problem if one of our young centers develops into a good second line center so Chevy is waiting for that( jets always wait things out )

I'm forgetting some for sure but those are my main reasons

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland

we are talking about professional sports. The coach makes decision and players play. It's not like backyard hockey where you can start to cry if you don't get to play with your best buddies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I don't think #26 and #29 match too well together, when being wingers on the same line. It's true that it has not been tested extensively, but anything we have seen 16-17 or 18-19 doesn't make me too extatic.

Besides, splitting them so that Laine plays with Scheifele and Wheeler plays with Little would benefit each and everyone, Jets the most, but not Captain Wheeler's personal points.

Try Connor-Scheifele-Laine & Ehlers-Little-Wheeler. I am amazed if those do not work much, much better than either of CSW & ELL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad