Whose seat is warmer: Holland or Blashill?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
it should be Kh, every hockey mind knows it as well, too bad the Illitichs are such poor hockey minds

KH has intentionally built a weak team full of holes and mismanaged the cap

however Blashill will take the fall for it as Holland is immune until HE decides to move up or out

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I think Ken Holland is doing exactly what his bosses tell him to do.

I think Jeff Blashill is a terrible head coach and deserves to be fired.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Holland won't get fired, he's almost certainly going to ride out his contract. Then hopefully retire for ****'s sake.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ken Holland had already been in, "turtle up and preserve the streak at all costs" mode for a calendar year, when he was given a 4 year contract extension.

As much as he NEEDS to go for the franchise to ever win another Cup, his boss doesn't seem to care, at least at the moment. Blashill would be fired years before Holland.

That's why I hope for more losing. It's the closest thing to taking decisions out of Holland's hands.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Holland won't get fired, he's almost certainly going to ride out his contract. Then hopefully retire for ****'s sake.

Yep, this is what I expect as well. He has no pressure whatsoever, these roster moves don't in any way reflect a guy who feels any pressure. He has yet to make a hard decision with the end goal of transforming the roster. He's a guy who is comfortable treading water and telling people what they want to hear. The real work will begin after he retires.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd bet Holland's not on the hot seat at all, but he should be.

Blashill is probably actually on the hot seat, and if we miss the playoffs it'll be on him. Regardless of the fact that we have a bottom 5 d core.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'd bet Holland's not at the hot seat at all, but he should be.

Blashill is probably actually on the hot seat, and if we miss the playoffs it'll be on him. Regardless of the fact that we have a bottom 5 d core.

That's dumb. This isn't a playoff team. He's achieved similar results as Babcock with a deteriorating team every year. Regardless of the coach, it's been a downward trend. This team isn't a playoff team.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
That's dumb. This isn't a playoff team. He's achieved similar results as Babcock with a deteriorating team every year. Regardless of the coach, it's been a downward trend. This team isn't a playoff team.

I don't think management holds your view. You cannot be completely capped out and spend a ton in free agency and not make the playoffs, that would be a disaster.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Very first post, so I can't vote. If I could, I'd definitely say Blashill. Even saying that, I doubt he gets fired. When's the last Wings coach that got fired? Park? If not, it was definitely Neale the year before. Blashill's got alot of losing to do to get to those low of standards for KH to even consider firing.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Didn't Blashill finish last season around the same points as Babcock did his final year with a better team?

Babcock finished with 100 points, Blashill with 93. Babcock's team also took the Lightning to 7 games.

And was it really a better team?

I guess they had Franzen for part of the season. Dats played about the same number of games. They didn't have Larkin or Green. I guess Kronwall wasn't as decrepit. They still had Weiss. The goaltending wasn't exactly spectacular if memory serves.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Blash, unfortunately. Feel like the odd use of players and systems is completely contrary to what I saw him do in GR. He was so much more aggressive in the AHL, it leads me to believe Holland and Co. have put the full weight of the streak on him. He's coaching scared.

Meanwhile, despite all of Kenny's poor decisions, the organization just gave him full blessings after last season. We often criticize Holland for "loyalty contracts", but that's an organizational habit inherited from ownership.

Ultimately, I suspect nothing will change until Mr. I dies.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Babcock finished with 100 points, Blashill with 93. Babcock's team also took the Lightning to 7 games.

And was it really a better team?

I guess they had Franzen for part of the season. Dats played about the same number of games. They didn't have Larkin or Green. I guess Kronwall wasn't as decrepit. They still had Weiss. The goaltending wasn't exactly spectacular if memory serves.

Thought Babcock had 93 points https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Detroit_Red_Wings_season

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Maybe '14 wasnt his last year with Detroit. I forget. All I know is Babcock didn't fair much better towards the end of tenure with DRWs and has missed making the playoff with TMLs. And looks like he is going to miss again this season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Maybe '14 wasnt his last year with Detroit. I forget. All I know is Babcock didn't fair much better towards the end of tenure with DRWs and has missed making the playoff with TMLs. And looks like he is going to miss again this season.

His last season with Detroit was 2014-15 and the team finished with 100 points.

Are you being serious about not making the playoffs last season with the Leafs? They cleaned house to do a total rebuild and get a high draft pick (and were rewarded handsomely).

There's maybe an argument he didn't fare any better with the Wings, but what's going on with the Leafs is no way comparable.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't think management holds your view. You cannot be completely capped out and spend a ton in free agency and not make the playoffs, that would be a disaster.

Management is crazy delusional. If the results of the last 5 years don't speak for themselves, nothing will.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Coaches seem to be judged based on what they do with top-tier talent. He didn't have that with Toronto last year, and they were terrible as a result regardless of his coaching.

Babcock is a great coach. I was optimistic when Blashill replaced Babcock because of his track record with GR, but he isn't Babcock yet (and may never be if he doesn't see a HoF roster like Babs has).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad