Whose seat is warmer: Holland or Blashill?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I would honestly be perfectly fine if the organization went in a complete new direction next season. Let Blashill stay the year, unless it gets really bad fast.

2017 New rink, new coach, new GM. This organization is extremely stale and needs fresh changes. We've been mediocre for far too long. Mike Illitch needs to save the Red Wing identity and demand changes.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Why would anyone put Blashill on the hotseat? This roster is crap and it should be obvious to everyone. I'm surprised they've done as well as they have.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Personally, I think Holland.

But realistically, it's Blashill. Coaches come and go. Legendary GMs hang around.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Why would anyone put Blashill on the hotseat? This roster is crap and it should be obvious to everyone. I'm surprised they've done as well as they have.

Even so, virtually everyone has regressed since Blashill took over. I agree the roster is terrible, but blowing this many 3rd period leads? Nah, he's gotta go.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Blashill AINEC. Holland could turn out to have links to pedo satanic occultists and the illitches or the media wouldn't care.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Even so, virtually everyone has regressed since Blashill took over. I agree the roster is terrible, but blowing this many 3rd period leads? Nah, he's gotta go.

That's true, but Datsyuk/Z/kronner regressed due to age, and everyone surrounding them regressed as a result of them no longer being propped up as well.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Not the most auspicious of times with a new building coming next year. Probably at the low point of our franchise in the last 25 years. I'm surprised the Illitch's don't see that and make a course correction to get back to being competitive, and not just a playoff team with zero chance of making it past the 2nd round. Not like the Tigers are doing any better, either, and they were probably were closest to winning a championship before blowing up that team and having some money available to build the new stadium with.

In the end, if we're still underperforming like this going into US Thanksgiving, Blashill is gone. Not sure who we replace him with, but he's definitely gone. I voted for Holland, because he is the one that needs to go, but it has to be Blash.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Not the most auspicious of times with a new building coming next year. Probably at the low point of our franchise in the last 25 years. I'm surprised the Illitch's don't see that and make a course correction to get back to being competitive, and not just a playoff team with zero chance of making it past the 2nd round. Not like the Tigers are doing any better, either, and they were probably were closest to winning a championship before blowing up that team and having some money available to build the new stadium with.

In the end, if we're still underperforming like this going into US Thanksgiving, Blashill is gone. Not sure who we replace him with, but he's definitely gone. I voted for Holland, because he is the one that needs to go, but it has to be Blash.

What's the point of the poll if you're going to substitute the question for your own?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Looking at the people he puts on the ice. Looking at the time certain players get. Looking at the fact every player has regressed in his system

I would agree with the majority that if heat came there isn't a chance Holland will ever be let go. He'll move up out of the way eventually.

I can't imagine (barring injuries) the Wings slipping too far out the PO's this season. We're in 12th place currently, exactly as foretold. No way Blashill is canned this season or next. If we are losing I'm sure we'll see a nasty and angry side of the coaches. Nobody in any field wants to lose a superior position in life, they will fight for their jobs.

There's such great discussions here as HF I'm never sure what to think. True the wheels are falling off under Blashill. Even declining Babcock had a way of creating a professional, almost militant persona out of different Wings teams. That aura has dissipated.

In Blashill's defense I really agree with a comment made earlier: Zetterberg and Datsyuk have been propping up the Wings for years. Blashill has tried every combination between pairings or lines. For the most part his TOI usage is sensible. For example tonight Sheahan was 13:00, aligned with the criticism from fans this week. Hilarious thinking of the saying brought up recently, "trying to squeeze water from a rock". Honestly it's impossible to blame Blash for the mediocrity of the Red Wings

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

Agreed. Even if this rooster is limiting capabilities, he does even more by some stubborn personal decisions: Sproul out of the line up, distribution of Ice time, Shell hockey/putting the 4th line on in the final minutes of the game, guys like Helm & DeKeyser on 3on3, not riding with an obvious hot Howard, and so on.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Agreed. Even if this rooster is limiting capabilities, he does even more by some stubborn personal decisions: Sproul out of the line up, distribution of Ice time, Shell hockey/putting the 4th line on in the final minutes of the game, guys like Helm & DeKeyser on 3on3, not riding with an obvious hot Howard, and so on.

All of that, and add to it the maddening crap that he somehow feels empowered to say about his own players. He wouldn't be the guy I'd want leading me into battle.

He should remember the old adage "Be kind to those on your way up, you may need them on your way down."

Calling Mantha "spare parts" and letting him languish in the AHL is ridiculous. Imagine how the guys in GR feel seeing other NHL teams play guys who aren't their equal, ala Winnepeg. Who beat us last night using lots of AHL caliber fill ins.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Holland's seat isn't warm at all. Blashill's probably is heating up but team needs to be way out of the playoffs for something to happen there imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad