HF Habs: Who's your all time favourite habs goalie

Which goalie is your all time favourite

• Total voters

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Drydens first Cup the Canadiens were not the powerhouse of the league. Bruins were. Hawks were close second. Dryden beat both of them. Roy almost matched that feat in 93. Love Roy and he was the habs best player on those two cup winning play off runs. But Patrick has nothing on Kenny.

Best play off performance by a goalie in the last 50 years.

Ken Dryden. 1971

Last edited:
Reactions: Whalers Fan

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Drydens first play off. Legendary performance. Wins Cup and ConSmythe.

Roys first play off. Legendary performance. Wins Cup and ConSmythe.

Price first play off performance. Has a melt down in the second round that cost his team the series.

that alone takes him out of any comparison to Roy and Dryden.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He had all star teams in Colorado and really the 1986 team is pretty underrated by everybody. They were a well-balanced group and by 1989 with the same players, they were a powerhouse that always finished in the league's Top 5. I'll give you 1993, though.
In 86 he was a rookie and basically stole the series against the Rangers, remember all of the saves in MSG in overtime? They should have won in 89 but the hockey Gods were smiling on Lanny Macdonald. I am not referring to Colorado, we never had anything like Sakic, Forsberg and company.

Reactions: Kimota and PaulD

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
huh?....have you seen him play THIS SEASON?
I have seen him play this season. So does that null and void all his other seasons? Yes, he was bad this year but there was a lot he was dealing with this year. He had the injury and then he was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. I do believe he was injured again before X-mas and then the concussion later in the season. Yes, Price has the big contract but he earned it whether you agree or not. MB signed him so lets build around him. This defense is the worst I've seen it in a long time and we still need a number #1 center.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017

Price first play off performance. Has a melt down in the second round that cost his team the series.

The farther we get away from 2008 the more difficult it is to pull up articles relating to that series, but I always feel it should be noted that Price claims he had broken fingers in his glove hand during the series. Still his fault, if you can't comfortably squeeze your trapper get the **** off the ice. All the stinkers he let in fluttered off his trapper.

EDIT: A Habs/Pens conference final that year would have been amazing

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
MB signed him so lets build around him.

uuummm yeah....because that has worked so well for the past 10 years? hasn't it? :rolleyes:

This defense is the worst I've seen it in a long time

quite blaming others for Price's faults...it's on HIM not the defense,

look at Andersen in toronto as an example, their defense is not a heck of a lot better then ours,

Andersen has faced more shots then any other goalie in the league, and puts up great numbers at 5 freakin million a season!!

And your telling me Price is worth DOUBLE THAT PAY because he had one good season and he "earned it"? :rolleyes:

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Not being able to score more than 2 goals against Martin Biron in the middle three games of that series sure didn't help.

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
uuummm yeah....because that has worked so well for the past 10 years? hasn't it? :rolleyes:

quite blaming others for Price's faults...it's on HIM not the defense,

look at Andersen in toronto as an example, their defense is not a heck of a lot better then ours,

Andersen has faced more shots then any other goalie in the league, and puts up great numbers at 5 freakin million a season!!

And your telling me Price is worth DOUBLE THAT PAY because he had one good season and he "earned it"? :rolleyes:
You can't compare us to Toronto as they have a better team then we do. They can outscore most teams and not really need to worry about playing defense. They have a solid goalie in Andersen and yes he's faced a lot of shots because they have a poor defense! They will be exposed in the playoffs by the better teams. Whether you agree with me or not Price earned the contract. When Andersen's contract comes up for negotiation I'm sure he'll be making a hell of a lot more. MB could of traded him but didn't. So here we are. Currently we rank second last in the league in goals for and 7th last in goals against. Do you not think by addressing our bigger issue at hand (scoring goals) and adding another top 4 defense man that Price can bounce back? I'm not talking about the year he won the Hart but similar to the previous couple.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Not have one in particular. I respect all of them. But Jaroslav Halak did one action that I didn't omit to forget. After the trade to St-Louis, he took the time to sign autographs at Pointe-Claire Shopping Center for a great cause. At the Capsule Sportive. A full of fans and a big line was there for him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Roy and Dryden didn't play as many games as Price did in that calendar year. I don't think a single goalie has ever played as much as he did that year.

Judging a player, especially a goalie, on their first year is silly. In that case Dominik Hasek isn't the greatest modern goalie of all time because he didn't steal the starter spot from Belfour when he first made it to the NHL. Yawn.

That said... I don't believe he's better than either. You need regular season and playoff and I don't believe Price has both. That also said, Price played in front of weaker teams. 86, 89, and 93 were better teams than any team Price played for aside from maybe 09 (and that team wasn't healthy) but when it comes to individual goaltending performances, I would have trouble naming the five best playoff performances by Price. I can still name the best from Dryden, Hasek, and Smith.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Price’s defenders like to say that he has “earned” his new 8-year, $84M contract. Well, there are many posters on this forum who are rather perplexed with his putrid play since signing the contract extension and also going forward into the 2018 season.

Why a general manager (with his owner’s blessing) would give a goalie who is over the hill a contract worthy of an “elite” younger goalie is inexplicable!

Reactions: habsgirl5000

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
It used to be Dryden, but I hate politicians.

Ha f*** it, I vote Dryden anyway. What was ironic at the time in 71, he was drafted by the Bruins and his rights were sent to the Habs. He ended up beating the Bruins of Orr, Espo etc pretty much all by himself. Bruins never traded with the Habs again after that, well except they couldn't help to send us Patrick Traverse some 30 years later. :laugh:

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
Price’s defenders like to say that he has “earned” his new 8-year, $84M contract. Well, there are many posters on this forum who are rather perplexed with his putrid play since signing the contract extension and also going forward into the 2018 season.

Why a general manager (with his owner’s blessing) would give a goalie who is over the hill a contract worthy of an “elite” younger goalie is inexplicable!
You mistaken my love for the Habs as a Price defender. I will always love this team, first and foremost...good times and bad. Also Price had a bad year but he's not over the hill dude. That said I don't deny for a second that this contract is massive and could bite us in the ass. I just don't wallow in the negative. This is the contract though, we can't change it. The year Halak took us to the conference finals Price sat and watched from the bench. He came back the next season with something to prove. What better time then next season to comeback with something to prove? Furthermore, Molson has already come out and said MB is safe. I'm with you front office changes are a must but they aren't happening so I'm moving on.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
No question, Saint Patrick all the way.
I was too young in the late 70s to remember that dynasty. Early 80s is when I have my earliest recollections of following the Habs and I was 13 when Roy stole the cup in 1986, what a performance. I always loved his cockiness.

I'll never forget his post game interview in I believe Game 1 of the first round against Boston, his English was terrible at the time but who the F cared, you could hear the nervousness in his voice. What a performance.

Again in 93 what a show he put on.

The only two parades I've been to, that 86 one was memorable, it was a perfect sunny and very warm day, I will always remember it. The 93 parade was terrible on de Maissoneuve.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
My first Habs memories are from Dryden's Conn Smythe winning performance in '71, and he was one of my favorite players growing up, so he was an easy pick for me.

"Red Light" Racicot should have made the poll - - he had the best nickname. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
No question, Saint Patrick all the way.
I was too young in the late 70s to remember that dynasty. Early 80s is when I have my earliest recollections of following the Habs and I was 13 when Roy stole the cup in 1986, what a performance. I always loved his cockiness.

I'll never forget his post game interview in I believe Game 1 of the first round against Boston, his English was terrible at the time but who the F cared, you could hear the nervousness in his voice. What a performance.

Again in 93 what a show he put on.

The only two parades I've been to, that 86 one was memorable, it was a perfect sunny and very warm day, I will always remember it. The 93 parade was terrible on de Maissoneuve.
I went to one of the first round games against Boston, the one where Kordic dummied Jay Miller and Miller got knocked over by the accordion door outside the Bruins dressing room after he was sent off. They were showing the live feed on screens fitted behind the press box and everybody up in the whites and blues saw it happen and roared with laughter.

Reactions: FlatIron

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
It used to be Dryden, but I hate politicians.

Ha **** it, I vote Dryden anyway. What was ironic at the time in 71, he was drafted by the Bruins and his rights were sent to the Habs. He ended up beating the Bruins of Orr, Espo etc pretty much all by himself. Bruins never traded with the Habs again after that, well except they couldn't help to send us Patrick Traverse some 30 years later. :laugh:
Wasn;t Don Awry traded to Montreal from Boston?Anyways I sure liked Ken Dryden.I remember Phil Espositos frustration trying to score on him calling him a f4%cken octopus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad