Who's no longer a Blue after the TDL?

Who's no longer a Blue after the TDL?

• Total voters

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I don’t see anyone moving out. Gunny won’t bring back what it is worth to have depth in the left side. With JBow’s play greatly improving, he could return a 2nd or more. But then you are rolling the dice of your LD looking really weak with 1 injury. Just not worth it.

Reactions: shmotz

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
doubt they make any moves but if i had to pick, id pick allen and fabbri

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Realistically Fabbri or Sanford are the only possibilities I can think of. Maybe Allen but I doubt it. Other than that, are you really going to trade players off this team after selling the last two years, and then them clawing back into the playoffs like this? I can imagine that might upset the locker room.

I don’t think they’ll trade any players off this roster.

Reactions: DoubleK81

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Sign n trade with Toronto, Tarasenko for Marner straight up. Fixes Toronto's cap issues without compromising their 'win now' window and the Blues get a younger better 2-way player instead of a 'superstar' that only shows up for 40 games/year.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Realistically Fabbri or Sanford are the only possibilities I can think of. Maybe Allen but I doubt it. Other than that, are you really going to trade players off this team after selling the last two years, and then them clawing back into the playoffs like this? I can imagine that might upset the locker room.

I don’t think they’ll trade any players off this roster.
I could see maroon being shipped. Hes playing now but was a longtime healthy scratch for awhile and really isnt essential to team and is unlikely to be resigned. But then again, im not sure he really has any trade value.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I could see maroon being shipped. Hes playing now but was a longtime healthy scratch for awhile and really isnt essential to team and is unlikely to be resigned. But then again, im not sure he really has any trade value.
I don’t think they’ll be shipping out a hometown kid who signed here for a discount in the midst of one of their best regular season runs ever. This isn’t nhl 2k19.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Sign n trade with Toronto, Tarasenko for Marner straight up. Fixes Toronto's cap issues without compromising their 'win now' window and the Blues get a younger better 2-way player instead of a 'superstar' that only shows up for 40 games/year.
84740286.gif

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You need an answer of no trades will be made.
Exactly! Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester have been playing well. No one we could trade for for a reasonable cost would be enough better to make it work risking the team chemistry. Maroon would bring enough in a trade to matter. Steen won't give up his veto to go to a team that would want him. The Bolts won't want him. Nobody would want Allen even up for assets, without The Blues having to take on more salary (bad salary of the arriving player, and/or Blues retaining some salary). They only have about $1.1 million under the cap. No room to get enough help that's appreciably better than the depth they already have available. I can't see any trades being made. They wouldn't risk hurting the chemistry for no real improvement, just to make change for the sake of change. Why change what is going well?

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Don't agree with the shot at Vladi, but it would be Toronto saying no to that proposal.

Two follow on questions for you:

1.Do you think adding say a 2nd or 3rd rounder to Tank for Marner would work for Toronto?

2. Forget Toronto, same deal (no picks) for a sign/trade with Buffalo for Skinner - realistic or not?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Two follow on questions for you:

1.Do you think adding say a 2nd or 3rd rounder to Tank for Marner would work for Toronto?

2. Forget Toronto, same deal (no picks) for a sign/trade with Buffalo for Skinner - realistic or not?

No. Marmer is best player on the Toronto roster. They wont move him and shouldn't.

Skinner is a UFA and is has major injury history. Never mind that Tarasnko is the better player. Consistently puts up more points.......Skinner is having a career year this year going into UFA.

Tarasenko is the better player. Did he steel your girl friend or something? Or are you trying to weaken a former rivals roster.

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
No. Marmer is best player on the Toronto roster. They wont move him and shouldn't.

Skinner is a UFA and is has major injury history. Never mind that Tarasnko is the better player. Consistently puts up more points.......Skinner is having a career year this year going into UFA.

Tarasenko is the better player. Did he steel your girl friend or something? Or are you trying to weaken a former rivals roster.
I've followed hockey a long time. I've followed the Blues a long time. I know you guys are riding the high from his current hot streak, but Tank has motivation issues. He'll take off shifts, periods and sometimes entire games. His no trade clause kicks in this summer, in my opinion they should move him at the deadline - especially with how he is playing right now, they can potentially get waaaay more than he's worth [doubly so considering the kind of trades Armstrong has shown he can pull off].

If the Blues do not trade Tarasenko (or anyone for that matter) here's what I predict will happen.

1. Blues will cool off post deadline, they'll still make the playoffs (maybe even in top 3/div) because of how poorly Stars/Wild are playing and how weak the Avs/Hawks are.

2. The Blues will not advance past the 2nd round of the playoffs at most.

3. Jordan "Andrew Hammond" Binnington will not maintain his elite level of performance next season (someone referred to this as 'first look' effect in a different thread, he's lights out because he's well composed and nobody knows where to shoot on him, that will change over the summer unless he also adjusts his game). Blues will revert to Joke Allen as starter.

4. The Blues will be continue to be the #3 team in the Central and play competitive hockey all season next year but will be out by game 6 of round two, again.

5. Lockout season

6. Rinse repeat.

The Blues are super hot right now, which is great, but I feel like it will be detrimental in the long run - its altering expectations and getting hopes a bit too high when there's a lot of hockey left to be played. As cool as it would be for Binnington to 'Matt Murray" STL a Cup, I don't think the team can reach that summit without buying at the deadline and moving Allen for someone better (which would also mean giving up other assets since Allen doesn't have a ton of value) -- Armstrong has stated he is going to stand pat - so they won't buy or sell. I don't think this is their year and I don't think standing pat will do the team any favors for next season.

To explain this another way - think of the stock market. You (The Blues) buy a stock (Tarasenko), that stock has its ups and downs over time and then suddenly it skyrockets (playing elite hockey at TDL) do you cash out now or hold and hope that the upward trend continues? There's valid reasons to go down either path but from my experiences it is best to cash out yet I have observed that most people instinctively hold because they get 'drunk' with greed. I am seeing that 'drunken high' right now with Blues fans just as I've seen it countless times when they've gone on winning streaks or had new players make an immediate impact over the last ~25 years.

I hope that clarifies my point of view. I am not trying to troll, just stating my observations. Call me an idiot if you want, and I'll re-quote your posts when they get knocked out and Tank isn't on the scoresheet.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I've followed hockey a long time. I've followed the Blues a long time. I know you guys are riding the high from his current hot streak, but Tank has motivation issues. He'll take off shifts, periods and sometimes entire games. His no trade clause kicks in this summer, in my opinion they should move him at the deadline - especially with how he is playing right now, they can potentially get waaaay more than he's worth [doubly so considering the kind of trades Armstrong has shown he can pull off].

If the Blues do not trade Tarasenko (or anyone for that matter) here's what I predict will happen.

1. Blues will cool off post deadline, they'll still make the playoffs (maybe even in top 3/div) because of how poorly Stars/Wild are playing and how weak the Avs/Hawks are.

2. The Blues will not advance past the 2nd round of the playoffs at most.

3. Jordan "Andrew Hammond" Binnington will not maintain his elite level of performance next season (someone referred to this as 'first look' effect in a different thread, he's lights out because he's well composed and nobody knows where to shoot on him, that will change over the summer unless he also adjusts his game). Blues will revert to Joke Allen as starter.

4. The Blues will be continue to be the #3 team in the Central and play competitive hockey all season next year but will be out by game 6 of round two, again.

5. Lockout season

6. Rinse repeat.

The Blues are super hot right now, which is great, but I feel like it will be detrimental in the long run - its altering expectations and getting hopes a bit too high when there's a lot of hockey left to be played. As cool as it would be for Binnington to 'Matt Murray" STL a Cup, I don't think the team can reach that summit without buying at the deadline and moving Allen for someone better (which would also mean giving up other assets since Allen doesn't have a ton of value) -- Armstrong has stated he is going to stand pat - so they won't buy or sell. I don't think this is their year and I don't think standing pat will do the team any favors for next season.

To explain this another way - think of the stock market. You (The Blues) buy a stock (Tarasenko), that stock has its ups and downs over time and then suddenly it skyrockets (playing elite hockey at TDL) do you cash out now or hold and hope that the upward trend continues? There's valid reasons to go down either path but from my experiences it is best to cash out yet I have observed that most people instinctively hold because they get 'drunk' with greed. I am seeing that 'drunken high' right now with Blues fans just as I've seen it countless times when they've gone on winning streaks or had new players make an immediate impact over the last ~25 years.

I hope that clarifies my point of view. I am not trying to troll, just stating my observations. Call me an idiot if you want, and I'll re-quote your posts when they get knocked out and Tank isn't on the scoresheet.
Most goal scorers are a bit streaky. People said the exact same stuff about Kessel and how you can't win with him, etc.

Trading Tarasenko would be dumb. He's a legitimate 35-40 goal guy every single year. There's not a ton of those out there, and for the most part you need a scorer like that to go far. He also has 22 goals in 44 career playoff games which is a 41-goal pace over an entire season. Whatever narrative there is that he doesn't show up in the playoffs is wrong.

Basically, your post reads like this:

"I've seen the Blues fail in the playoffs every year in the past, so they should avoid that happening again this year and sell."

So in your opinion the team should just not even try, just because history hasn't worked in their favor.

That is a bad, bad way to run a hockey team. And I'm pretty sure Washington Capitals fans are very happy they didn't follow this advice from you one year ago.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Most goal scorers are a bit streaky. People said the exact same stuff about Kessel and how you can't win with him, etc.

Trading Tarasenko would be dumb. He's a legitimate 35-40 goal guy every single year. There's not a ton of those out there, and for the most part you need a scorer like that to go far. He also has 22 goals in 44 career playoff games which is a 41-goal pace over an entire season. Whatever narrative there is that he doesn't show up in the playoffs is wrong.

Basically, your post reads like this:

"I've seen the Blues fail in the playoffs every year in the past, so they should avoid that happening again this year and sell."

So in your opinion the team should just not even try, just because history hasn't worked in their favor.

That is a bad, bad way to run a hockey team. And I'm pretty sure Washington Capitals fans are very happy they didn't follow this advice from you one year ago.
Not "sell", trade up -- sending Tank + to TOR for Marner would not exactly be 'selling'.

And yes, I agree goal scorers are streaky, but I was more focused on Tank's 2-way game and how he contributes on the ice when not scoring goals, and until about 3 weeks ago he was not just dead weight but a liability on most nights.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I mean, I get your theory but like so many people who propose trades here you aren’t considering the business side of selling off your star player. That isn’t to say it doesn’t happen, Oshie was pretty popular here and Erik Johnson was the face of the turnaround but those trades came at downpoints in Blues history and neither of them were the face of the team like Tarasenko is. I doubt you’re going to find two teams willing to swap star players. It’s just tough to make that happen from both sides considering the risk of upsetting fanbases. Also, it is forever a point of contention for whichever gm loses that swap.

Also, considering your explanation, your Skinner proposal is weird. Why would we trade for a guy who is going to ask for more money than Tarasenko and also isn’t exactly known for giving max effort all the time? I feel like that was just a troll job. And in case it needs mentioning - Skinner for Tank is an easy pass.

One more thing, calling Tarasenko dead weight at any point this season is just being disingenuous. He drives offense even when he’s not playing his best.

upload_2019-2-20_10-8-12.png

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Not "sell", trade up -- sending Tank + to TOR for Marner would not exactly be 'selling'.

And yes, I agree goal scorers are streaky, but I was more focused on Tank's 2-way game and how he contributes on the ice when not scoring goals, and until about 3 weeks ago he was not just dead weight but a liability on most nights.

1. Marner is the best player on the Leafs. He's better than Matthews and Tavares. He's not leaving and if they do, Dubas should be walked out of that place immediately.

2. Tarasenko won't be traded off the Blues. Despite his flaws, there are other players on this team that have far worse flaws than 91 taking shifts off or is hurtful defensively. Maroon is slower than balls and his only redeeming quality is being good on the forecheck and fighting. His defense is lacking. Bozak's defense kind of sucks. Steen's been a shell of himself for about 3 years now, plus the rumored locker room issues seem to be true based on Michelleti's reporting on Berube's transformation. Tarasenko isn't paid for his defense, he's paid for putting the puck in the net, which outside of O'Reilly, no one else can score nearly as much as Tarasenko can.

3. Many good players take "shifts off". Not everyone plays 100% full go all game. I know we all think O'Reilly is, or Marner is, or McDavid is, but using Marner
as an example since he just played the Blues, he had a LOT of problems his first year or two under Babcock and it's well documented by Toronto how much his game has turned around under Babcock. Offense was there but defense wasn't great.

4. You don't trade Tarasenko in a "trade up" if you want to win now. You add to his talent. I'm not saying I disagree with your premise, but, especially during the season, this isn't what you do. Now in the off-season, maybe you can make this deal if Toronto is willing to move him, but the Blues would have to add something significant to Tank for Marner.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
You say we should trade Tarasenko while his value is high so we can make the team better, yet you're suggesting we trade him for an extend Skinner?

I wouldn't even touch Skinner for free in UFA with the money he's going to ask for. He's shooting a whopping 7.4% higher than his career average. He has the same shot rate this year as his career average, but his inflated shooting percentage has him on pace for a 50 goal season instead of a 30 goal season. His production is absolutely unsustainable, and there's no way, shape, or form where Skinner is better or even equal to Tarasenko.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
You sell high with guys like Oshie (we whiffed on that one), who are popular and overrated -- but ultimately supplemental. You cannot risk that with a guy that effectively carries the team in goals. Tank and ROR are untouchable. Anyone else, well, you just carefully examine the return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad