Who's more popular in Pittsburgh? Crosby or Malkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Bump

Guys, i am just curious. i know this topic is sid vs malkin.. but i'd like to ask a PITTSBURGH question.

I know up until 2014 or so, Pens were ahead in popularity over the Bucs in PIT. but now, since the bucs have been great, and now the pens are on a run, who would you guys say are more popular in PIT right now? have the bucs taken over the pens, or are the PENS still ahead of the Pirates in popularity in PIT?

Thanks.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Bump

Guys, i am just curious. i know this topic is sid vs malkin.. but i'd like to ask a PITTSBURGH question.

I know up until 2014 or so, Pens were ahead in popularity over the Bucs in PIT. but now, since the bucs have been great, and now the pens are on a run, who would you guys say are more popular in PIT right now? have the bucs taken over the pens, or are the PENS still ahead of the Pirates in popularity in PIT?

Thanks.

If you look at TV ratings and attendance, I don't believe the Pirates were ever ahead of the Penguins in recent years.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Bump

Thanks.

It's not like the Buccos had much more success come playoff time. At first, them making it was great, but in the last 2 years losing that WCG really sucked, pretty much like us in the playoffs

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I think around 2013 or 2014 the Pirates reached the Penguins in terms of TV viewership.

I think it depends on the age of the viewer. People age 40 and younger tend to favor hockey. People 40 and over tend to favor baseball.

I am a firm believer that a big reason for baseball's popularity is it has no competition during the summer months. Pirates/baseball gets 95% of the sports coverage here from *end of Pens playoff run* until August.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
ok boys, how about this? I'll get back to the main topic of sid vs malkin in PIT

How about this.. There's a take pic and signing with the players in PIT this upcoming weekend.

There are 7 lines to meet the players. The line is 1- Malkin. 2- Big Ben. 3- McCutchen. 4- Sid the Kid and 5- Troy Polamalu.. 6- Mario Lemieux.. 7- Terry Bradshaw

Which line would be longest to meet their hero and take a pic with him? Who would be top 3? Or at least just #1.. i am curious. Thanks.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You weren't the Habs fan who bumped it, Wingah. (WINGAH!) :laugh:

But it's always some jagoff from the mainboard asking that question year after year, series after series. And the only answer should be: "Why does Montreal steal their bagels from New York? HUH? Can't come up with anything on their own, eh?"

I'm pretty passionate about New York Bagel Supremacy, aka the most pressing issue of my nonexistent life.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Now, the secret to a really good bagel isn't just in the weird river water they use in NY- it's also the kind of capers and onions used.

Exhibit A:

video-clark-bagels-and-lox-articleLarge.jpg

This is a proper mother****ing bagel. Savory, filling, and certainly bad for you-- JUST AS GOD INTENDED.

The capers really tie it together in your mouth, but you need the sweetness of the onion, otherwise they (and the lox, don't forget the smoked salmon) get too intense.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal

But it's always some jagoff from the mainboard asking that question year after year, series after series. And the only answer should be: "Why does Montreal steal their bagels from New York? HUH? Can't come up with anything on their own, eh?"

I'm pretty passionate about New York Bagel Supremacy, aka the most pressing issue of my nonexistent life.

Montreal invented bagels. We have the best bagels in North America. Ppl travel the country and wait in line for 4 hrs just to taste our bagels. More like NY stole it from us.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Bagels are from Central Europe, homeboy (specifically Poland and the former Pale). But, nice try, Montreal! Next thing you know, you'll act all like your steak rub is actually something real instead of cajun seasoning!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah bagels are a hunky food.

And saying Montreal has the best bagels is all subjective as a bagel from NY (Jewish) and a bagel from Montreal are really nothing a like.

How do I know this?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
ok boys, how about this? I'll get back to the main topic of sid vs malkin in PIT

How about this.. There's a take pic and signing with the players in PIT this upcoming weekend.

There are 7 lines to meet the players. The line is 1- Malkin. 2- Big Ben. 3- McCutchen. 4- Sid the Kid and 5- Troy Polamalu.. 6- Mario Lemieux.. 7- Terry Bradshaw

Which line would be longest to meet their hero and take a pic with him? Who would be top 3? Or at least just #1.. i am curious. Thanks.

Top 3 would easily be Roethlisberger, Crosby, and McCutchen in some order. Malkin will never have QUITE the crowd pull Sid does. Troy, Mario, and (to a lesser extent) Bradshaw are well-loved in Pittsburgh but retired players are never as popular as current stars when the teams are doing well.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
thx orby. i was so upset my question was left unanswered because of some dumb bagel talk nonsense.. but i'm happy you answered. thanks. so i guess Big Ben would be #1, right? makes sense. hey, sid at #2 is pretty awesome too.

Am i right to think that Sid today is nowhere near the popularity mario was in pit from 84 to end of his career? Isn't mario about 20x as huge back then in PIT as Sid is today, or hockey was not as big in PIT as today? I just think mario must've been a GOD back then cause he was 2000x the player Sid is today. Mario smokes Sid the kid. God do i miss him so much. He was the greatest player i have ever seen. Wayne has NOTHING on mario.

Could mario be the most famous athlete to ever play in the city of pit in any sport?

thanks Pittsburghers.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013

Woah there. Dems fighting words. As someone who has lived in both cities, Montreal has the better bagel. New York has the better cream cheese, lox etc.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I've never had lox. Is it mushy like salmon is when you get sushi? If so...that's a big no from me.

It's funny because Pittsburgh has the ability to be a food city - the more I talk to people from other places though, the more we're missing. Pittsburgh needs a good Jewish deli/bakery. I went to Cigar Fest in the Poconos this past weekend, and these Jewish guys from Boston were talking about how they were going to Katz's in NYC when they were on their way back. The only true deli I know of in Pittsburgh that I'd actually refer someone to is the Smallman St Deli.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think around 2013 or 2014 the Pirates reached the Penguins in terms of TV viewership.

I think it depends on the age of the viewer. People age 40 and younger tend to favor hockey. People 40 and over tend to favor baseball.

I am a firm believer that a big reason for baseball's popularity is it has no competition during the summer months. Pirates/baseball gets 95% of the sports coverage here from *end of Pens playoff run* until August.

And the sports media in Pittsburgh ****ing LOVES baseball. It's January, I'm driving home from work, and the Fan is talking about the Pirates ****ing pitching rotation. It's year round coverage.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

And I will die for your right to watch a living spreadsheet. :laugh:

05e67abec8bc6dd8359208dbdfa7d1b3.jpg

For real though, back to bagels- is there any more perfect food than a fried egg sandwich on a bagel? Or possibly corned beef? I mean, even London understands that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad