Who's more at fault, the goalie or the team?

Who is more at fault?

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Eh, how is it the goalie's fault if, as the OP put it, all 5 goals were almost unstoppable?

I can never fault a goalie if he's letting in goals that would be scored on every other goalie in the league, and would take highlight reel, save-of-the-year type saves in order to stop. I'd put the blame squarely on the team for consistently allowing those kinds of Grade-A chances.

Goalies are to blame when they're letting in shots that should be saved.

If I need 1 Grade save to win a game and my goalie can't provide it especially on 15 shots he's not doing his job, your goalie is expected to make the scattered spectacular save

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If I need 1 Grade save to win a game and my goalie can't provide it especially on 15 shots he's not doing his job, your goalie is expected to make the scattered spectacular save

In the OP scenario, even making one Grade A save still would leave your team tied at 4-4. You still wouldn't win the game.

Which highlights the issue with the team defense. You essentially give up so many bad prime scoring chances that you need your goalie to make *multiple* highlight reel saves to win the game. That's on the team, not the goalie.

Shot quality > shot quantity. I'd rather my team face 20 shots from the outside from Jack Johnson and Marc Staal rather than face 5 shots in the slot from Matthews and Ovechkin. I'd bet any money my team wins more games facing the 20 outside shots from the former two than the 5 inside shots from the latter two.

Reactions: heretik27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad