Who's Had the Biggest Impact for the Canucks This Season?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The emergence of Edler/Tanev as the shutdown pair (and Edler's individual turnaround) have to be right near the top too, and I'm kind of surprised they're not in the poll in some form as a non-other option. Not long ago we were touting these guys as the team MVP(s). I suppose the fact that the team still kept above water when both were injured might have put a bit of a damper on that, but it's not far from the truth.

Having Vrbata join the team has obviously been integral as well, and the Sedins' return to form. Eddie Läck's emergence has been a great story too, and I think Yannick Weber is deserving of the Unsung Hero buzz (paradox that it is) that he has been getting lately.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think there's a lot of answers to this, and I think that's a good thing. I don't think you can look at any one thing in isolation and say "that's the reason we rebounded". It's a combination of factors.

From where I sit, it started with hiring Linden to steer the ship. That started the chain reaction of hiring Jim Benning and subsequently Willie Desjardins. These three together shaped the direction the franchise decided to go this year, which was a re-tool/reload rather than a full fledged rebuild. And the goal was the playoffs, as it should be.

On the ice, the resurgence of the Twins is huge. Some folks were ready to write them off after last year, and John Tortorella tried to blame last season on the team's "core" by saying they were done. Watching them bounce back and be the go-to guys has been a treat, but they haven't been alone. Radim Vrbata has been head and shoulders the best addition to the team, and he's shown that he can gel with guys not named Sedin as well.

On the blueline, the Edler/Tanev pairing has been massive. This is even more important given the season that Hamhuis and Bieksa have had; those two really haven't been themselves, so having Edler and Tanev establish themselves as a legitimate shutdown pairing was critical. But credit has to go to the entire blueline for surviving our rash of injuries - Yannick Weber is one guy who really stepped up, but even maligned guys like Luca Sbisa logged some huge minutes in that stretch and played at a serviceable level.

Ryan Miller provided a lot of wins for us, and I still maintain a lot of the criticism directed his way was unfair. He played well for the most part. But I find it difficult to argue with how Eddie Lack has played since he went down. It's been a gruelling stretch for Lack and the Canucks have been fighting tooth and nail to get into their playoff spot. He had some bumps along the way, but by and large, he gave the team a chance to win every game and was outright superb on many nights.

There will likely be some handwringing about who to turn to in the post-season, but from where I sit - and I said this weeks ago - you can't toss in a cold goaltender to start the playoffs, especially when the guy currently playing is a very, very large part of why you're in the playoffs in the first place. The net has to be Lack's until such time as he shows he can't handle it. (hopefully that last part doesn't happen)

In short...I think it was a real team effort, top to bottom, to make this season what it has been so far. Here's hoping that continues on into the post-season!

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Weirdest poll ever. One option is two players (obviously more impactful than one player) and they're competing with a coach and manager? Where's the Trevor Linden option? Frank Aquaman? ;)

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
No "all of the above?" ;)

I voted for Benning since he's the man at the top of the food chain, that brought in a lot of different pieces that have all contributed to our bounce back.

But I think it has been a lot of different people pulling their weight at different times when we needed them tom that has brought us to this point. It's been a full team effort this season, and it's been fantastic to watch.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Edler / Tanev. If that pairing isn't a top pairing, the team's not even in the race.

Bro Horvat

2011 Truther
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver
As has been stated - voted Benning because without him the majority of those coaching and on-ice pieces aren't in place.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Edler - Tanev for me. Reliable defensively on a consistent basis.

Vrbata was also huge. Secondary scoring without riding the Sedin's pine was extremely important.

dps

Nov 30, 2011
Hard to pick one. Picked the sedins, but vrbata, lack, elder, and tanev have been huge this year too.

Of the sedins Daniel is clearly the most improved which is awesome to see, but Henrik many nights has also put this team on his back and set the tone on the ice for the team.

Vrbs is an exciting player to watch lots of times, his poise with the puck with space is deadly.

Lack was incredible when all the injuries hit, had his off nights but I felt comfortable with him in net, and he had some beauty games. Damn near single handedly won us that one Boston game (you know the one I mean) and the last LA game stand out for me (was great on the odd man rushes that could've killed us and the shoot out).

Tanev and elder, would it have been nice to see more goals from this pair, of course, but they shut down the best players in the game many nights.

Edit: also wanna give a shout out to management, there are critiques to be made, but they changed the culture of the team and it's shown in games against contenders and games where we've been down a goal or two.

They had some embarrassing losses early and I thought it was going to be the same old nucks of last year but since the new year they've grown a pair and battle hard most nights. This will bode well for the nucks in the playoffs I hope.

Last edited:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I'll give WD credit for sticking to four line hockey. there have been very few games where the minutes haven't been heavily spread out.

11 forwards with 10+ goals. Richardson would have gotten there as well.
12 forwards with 20+ points. 2 more that were on pace to do it as well.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Vrbata for sure. Finally someone that can snipe. We're going to need that in the playoffs when the rest of our players become Crest commercial stars.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The Sedins without question, though Vrbata was the biggest addition. This year the non-Sedin offense is actually poorer than it was last year if you remove EN goals so the entire uptick in the team's scoring is due to them.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
I voted Willie d because he does pick ice time for all the players,the players feed off his energy.
But really id like to say it was the whole org that turned it around,Linden and benning made a new atmosphere,we have the right coach,our vets had bounce back seasons,and our scouting proved we have some young guys. All in all its tough to just give one person credit

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I refuse to cast a vote, the season isn't over yet never mind the post season

In fact I hope you have to redo the whole poll to add Horvat in a couple months

Fairweather

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
Derek Dorsett
He gets so much ice time everyone forgets about the talent on the team.

This is my pick. If I'm to believe some posters here, deploying him is an egregious mistake on the monumental scale on WD's part so much that all the other things he's done is completely eclipsed.

Seriously though, my pick is Henrik as usual. He's truly the captain of the team.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I think there's a lot of answers to this, and I think that's a good thing. I don't think you can look at any one thing in isolation and say "that's the reason we rebounded". It's a combination of factors.

From where I sit, it started with hiring Linden to steer the ship. That started the chain reaction of hiring Jim Benning and subsequently Willie Desjardins. These three together shaped the direction the franchise decided to go this year, which was a re-tool/reload rather than a full fledged rebuild. And the goal was the playoffs, as it should be.

On the ice, the resurgence of the Twins is huge. Some folks were ready to write them off after last year, and John Tortorella tried to blame last season on the team's "core" by saying they were done. Watching them bounce back and be the go-to guys has been a treat, but they haven't been alone. Radim Vrbata has been head and shoulders the best addition to the team, and he's shown that he can gel with guys not named Sedin as well.

On the blueline, the Edler/Tanev pairing has been massive. This is even more important given the season that Hamhuis and Bieksa have had; those two really haven't been themselves, so having Edler and Tanev establish themselves as a legitimate shutdown pairing was critical. But credit has to go to the entire blueline for surviving our rash of injuries - Yannick Weber is one guy who really stepped up, but even
maligned guys like Luca Sbisa logged some huge minutes in that stretch and played at a serviceable level.

Ryan Miller provided a lot of wins for us, and I still maintain a lot of the criticism directed his way was unfair. He played well for the most part. But I find it difficult to argue with how Eddie Lack has played since he went down. It's been a gruelling stretch for Lack and the Canucks have been fighting tooth and nail to get into their playoff spot. He had some bumps along the way, but by and large, he gave the team a chance to win every game and was outright superb on many nights.

There will likely be some handwringing about who to turn to in the post-season, but from where I sit - and I said this weeks ago - you can't toss in a cold goaltender to start the playoffs, especially when the guy currently playing is a very, very large part of why you're in the playoffs in the first place. The net has to be Lack's until such time as he shows he can't handle it. (hopefully that last part doesn't happen)

In short...I think it was a real team effort, top to bottom, to make this season what it has been so far. Here's hoping that continues on into the post-season!

This, nothing left to add.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Weirdest poll ever. One option is two players (obviously more impactful than one player) and they're competing with a coach and manager? Where's the Trevor Linden option? Frank Aquaman? ;)

It's amazing that ANYONE thinks Vrbata has had a greater impact on the team than BOTH Sedins. I get that he's new and all, but come on.

And some here might say that Sbisa has had the biggest impact.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Shouldn't all the votes for Vrbata go to JB?

Why? Vrbata wasn't Bennings first choice and when he was the last legit scorer left on the market he picked Vancouver because he wanted to play with the Sedins.

Anyways I think Willie had the biggest impact. I always had faith in the players/organization regardless of who's running it. AV was and is a great coach but the team had gotten stale under him and needed a change, Torts amidst speculation of who actually hired him was a disaster, but finally with Willie while he has a few flaws we got just what we needed.

It goes right back to training camp. With the team in a funk after a horrible 6th last finish, Willie went above and beyond the usual coaches routine integrating himself with the organization and players and getting them set to start the season on a positive note, which has carried the team from start to finish back into the playoffs. Regardless of the tweaks whatever GM did or didn't make in my opinion Willie's the guy that got us through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad