Who's Had the Biggest Impact for the Canucks This Season?

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Wow. I didn't think we'd be in a playoff spot this year, and am extremely happy to be wrong. This season has been filled with ups abd downs so far, and for all the talk at the beginning that change was coming, it turns out it actually was.

So with this team going into the playoffs, I ask you all: who has had the biggest impact this year in getting us back into the playoffs? It was extremely close for me, but I'm going with Lack, with the Sedins and Vrbata close behind.

It's no secret Radim was a HUGE addition. Not only did we need a true scorer, but I honestly believe he helped the twins kick start their play up another level from last year. With that being said, I have to go Lack. It's not the fact that he's been perfect. He hasn't. But after all the injuries to a RIDICULOUS amount of players, including our starters, he stepped up and delivered solid performances on a night to night basis, while repeatedly giving the team a chance to win. Still, to this day, he's playing excellent, and proving game by game he can be a starter in the NHL.

This season's been a ride, for sure. I think some of us truly forget how many people were out (I think 7-8 at a certain point for a good stretch.) and how incredible it is that this team was able to still come together abd put together a very respectable record. Even Miller, for the flack he gets, has been an integral part of this team. He put up 28 wins, and yes, lost some horrible games, but just like Eddie, delivered on a constant basis.

I'm ****ing pumped for the playoffs, and we wouldn't be here without a lot of newbies, and even some bounce back oldies. So who do you guys believe is behind this turn around?

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Daniel Sedin not being a terrible hockey player has helped a lot. I thought he was done for sure, while he's still not much of a goal scorer, leading the team in points over his bro is something I didn't think we'd ever see again. He was just so bad last year, biggest individual turnaround.

Edler has been a different player too, but still worried about him.

Vrbata as far as new guys go, he's been awesome. Can't be happier with his production.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
relative or total? cause daniel and henrik are still the best players, but its not like they're too far off what we take for granted every year. vrbata was the biggest jump up from my expectations, and my expectations were still pretty high

lmao @ jim benning

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
relative or total? cause daniel and henrik are still the best players, but its not like they're too far off what we take for granted every year. vrbata was the biggest jump up from my expectations, and my expectations were still pretty high

lmao @ jim benning

Heh, had to throw him in there, what with him being the captain of "change";) I agree about the Sedin's. Just were caught under a horrible Torts system, and were able to get back to producing. As far as Vrby goes, would never have guessed he'd prove to be this valuable, it's nuts.

SvenBaertschi

Not Sven Baerschi
Aug 19, 2012
I voted for the Sedin Bros but I was very tempted to vote for Vrbata. Vrbata was clutch in critical situations but Sedins are the face of Vancouver.

One more factor for voting for Sedin Bros. Vrbata mentioned that playing with the Sedins was a factor with him signing here therefore logically Vrbata's contributions can also be slightly accredited to the Sedins.

Last edited:

Markfly*

Vrbata by a long shot. Wouldn't be in the playoffs without him.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Willie: able to right the ship. Our window is closing but we were always still a pretty good team.

Lack: a goalie who can steal games for us and seems to gets better as the game got on.

Vrbata: veteran Sniper was not only able to score, it let everyone else not have to worry about trying to be that guy (Burrows mostly). Everyone relaxed a bit and allowed them to focus on playing their game. Plus as a owner of a kesler jersey, it easied the comments of having a #17 jersey.

Benning: he stuck with the team despite having the excuse to clear house as the new boss

Rollie: still in awe of what he can do with our goalies and especially lack.

HM: Horvat helped solidify our bottom six as a rookie. I am a Boliever

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I love what Vrbata's done for us this year, he's the best right winger we've had since Bertuzzi but there's no way he's better than either Sedin. Henrik for example is being deployed as a strength in strength player, against other teams best players (he and bones) in those minutes he's churning out fantastic possession results only 2 centres in the west are ahead of Sedin in CorsiRel. Those players being Joe Thornton and Mike Ribeiro, though Ribeiro starts 12% more of his shifts in the offensive zone and plays against much weaker competition and Thornton is just a machine. So if you're looking at sheer possession and when you adjust it in terms of zone starts and QOC Henrik Sedin has been the best possession centre among western conference playoff teams. Possession leads to less goals being scored on you, and this is exactly the case. The only centre in the west to have a lower GA/60 than Henrik is Jonathan Toews.

Now let's look at scoring, the only centre in the west that has more points that Sedin is tyler seguin. Which means Henrik Sedin leads all western conference playoff eligible teams in scoring. He's been at worst the 2nd best centre in the conference behind only Toews this year (you could make an argument for Henrik being better) I like Vrbata but the Sedins are clearly the engine of the Vancouver Canucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I think Vrbata is probably this team's MVP, and it was Benning who brought him in. Probably a better forward than any forward brought in by the previous regime.

Benning moved quickly and decisively on the Kesler situation, instead of letting it fester, and the team is better off.

We all will question the coach from time to time, but it's pretty difficult to argue that Desjardins wasn't a good hire.

Benning pushed for Horvat to be on the roster, and that has paid dividends.

Dorset has been all you could possibly want for a 4th line player, and has delivered excellent value for a 3rd round pick.

Obviously the jury is out on Linden Vey, but he did provide some key goals early in the season, and those are important points now. And I still don't like Ryan Miller, and I think that 3rd year is a problem, but no GM is perfect.

I certainly feel better about the direction of the team than I did at this time last season.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Why does everyone make fun of pauser and his unique points thing, yet people always list the Sedins (no possessive) together?

arsmaster*

Biggest impact is very close for me between Edler bouncing back to being good and Vrbata.

A close 2nd is the step we've seen Lack take over the last 2.5 months.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
last year, edler was on ice for over 1000 minutes in 5 on 5 play, and we as a team scored 19 goals in that time and conceded 43 goals. (hence why he 'won' the +/- race) Edler had an on ice shooting percentage of 3.63. (claimed to be a historic low and which would almost certainly bounce back to the average of around 7%)

this year, edler has been on ice for over 1200 minutes in 5 on 5 play, and we have scored 39 goals in that time and conceded 36. Edler has had an on ice shooting percentage of 6.55 (so still on the low-ish side really). so that's been a pretty big impact for the season. that's a helluva lotta goals that have entered the net this season that didn't enter the net last season. and we've got a really good record in one goal games this season. so that helps massively.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tough call.
I voted WD.
The coaching change really fundamentally changed the team.
1. Cut back the Sedins minutes and put them in a position to succeed.
2. Changed the whole system of defending and breakouts so the defence became much more effective. Played a more up tempo style
3. Had the right temperment for a veteran team. Didn't get too high or too low.

Could make a strong case for any of the other choices as well. Benning would be a close second. Probably a coin flip between the two but I'd like to see another year before choosing Benning.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad