Who's had the best season since the 04-05 lockout?

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Honestly I'd take 13-14 Crosby over his 120 pt year. Dude locked up the Art Ross in February with Brian ****ing Gibbons on his RW. Constantly being double shifted to keep the ship afloat for the 2 months where the team was him fleury and wilkes-barre. Easily his most impressive full season to me (although the 66 in 40 injury season he looked like he was playing a different game than everybody else)

I think you need to add some perspective to this. First of all Chris Kunitz is no chopped liver and second of all, the Penguins also had the 2nd best and 3rd best PPG players in the NHL in 2013-14 in Malkin and Neal.

Malkin did miss 22 games himself but people are making it sound like Crosby carried the team from game 1 to game 82 all on his own which is far from the truth.

When Crosby won the scoring title in 2006-07, he beat out healthy and prime Thornton and Lecavalier while in 2013-14, his best competitors in Stamkos and Malkin both missed significant time.

In before Ageless cries double standard, this isn't the same thing as Malkin vs Crosby in 2008-09.

penguins2946*

Ovechkin's 65 goal season was clearly the best. The order I'd give it is:

1. Ovechkin 07-08
2. Malkin 11-12
3. Thornton 05-06
4. Crosby 06-07

That's my top-4.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
your still playing the what if game. Your using hypothetical situations still. If your using ovechkin as why crosbys 09-10 is not as good as jagrs 05-06 season then crosby 13-14 must be better than jagrs also because crosby was the undisputed best winning all the awards? So which is it?

I will raise this argument, when you can answer me without any bias and with a clear mind then you will have answered your own question.

Jagr swept the awards in 1998-99, is this a better season than Lemieux's 1988-89 season? After all Lemieux only won the Art Ross but no Hart and no Pearson.

Shoot, your turn.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I think you need to add some perspective to this. First of all Chris Kunitz is no chopped liver and second of all, the Penguins also had the 2nd best and 3rd best PPG players in the NHL in 2013-14 in Malkin and Neal.

Malkin did miss 22 games himself but people are making it sound like Crosby carried the team from game 1 to game 82 all on his own which is far from the truth.

When Crosby won the scoring title in 2006-07, he beat out healthy and prime Thornton and Lecavalier while in 2013-14, his best competitors in Stamkos and Malkin both missed significant time.

In before Ageless cries double standard, this isn't the same thing as Malkin vs Crosby in 2008-09.

Lmfao there you go. Yes it is. Nvm Malkin and stamkos missed time right? Stamkos only played 37 games compared to crosbys 80 and Malkin only played 60 not much more than crosbys 53 in 07-07 right? Haha oh the double standards gotta love it. Does this sound familiar? One player played 80 games the other two played 37 and 60. One player won the art Ross the other two didn't come top 10 in scoring.

Enough said.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I will raise this argument, when you can answer me without any bias and with a clear mind then you will have answered your own question.

Jagr swept the awards in 1998-99, is this a better season than Lemieux's 1988-89 season? After all Lemieux only won the Art Ross but no Hart and no Pearson.

Shoot, your turn.

King of double standards

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Ovechkin's 65 goal season was clearly the best. The order I'd give it is:

1. Ovechkin 07-08
2. Malkin 11-12
3. Thornton 05-06
4. Crosby 06-07

That's my top-4.

So you don't think Jagr belongs in the top 4 or 5?

The only season that I can see people picking ahead of Jagr's 2005-06 is Ovechkin's 2006-07 season and it also depends on much you value goals vs overall points.

Malkin ahead of Jagr?:help:

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
I find Stamkos's 2011-2012 60 goals season more impressive than Ovy's 07-08 65 goals.

Ovechkin scored 23 PPG while his team had 100 more PPs than Tampa had in 2011-2012 when Stamkos scored 60 goals with 12 PPG

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
I find Stamkos's 2011-2012 60 goals season more impressive than Ovy's 07-08 65 goals.

Ovechkin scored 23 PPG while his team had 100 more PPs than Tampa had in 2011-2012 when Stamkos scored 60 goals with 12 PPG

All one needs to do is look at who each team's second leading scorer was in those seasons and the argument will end there.

Also Ovechkin won the Art Ross and Hart while Stamkos simply won the Rocket Richard and nothing else.

penguins2946*

So you don't think Jagr belongs in the top 4 or 5?

The only season that I can see people picking ahead of Jagr's 2005-06 is Ovechkin's 2006-07 season and it also depends on much you value goals vs overall points.

Malkin ahead of Jagr?:help:

Malkin's 11-12 season was significantly better than Jagr's season. Malkin had a 55 goal and 119 point pace in 11-12 (50 and 109 in 75) in a season where only 1 player hit 100 points, and Jagr had 54 goals and 123 points in 05-06 (in 82 games) in a season where 7 players hit 100 points. Malkin's season is clearly better. Scoring in 11-12 was much less than scoring in 05-06, and Malkin produced barely any less than Jagr in those seasons.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Tampa fan, so I think I have some extra legitimacy here: No it wasn't.

The goal total you can argue is more impressive both with the lower scoring that season and the higher percentage of ES goals (although it's not an argument I'm convinced by), but Ovi also had a ton of points, while Stamkos didn't even pass 100. Ovi's season is more impressive.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Stamkos had 74 pts St.Louis and Ovy had 69 pts Backstrom..

I meant for goalscoring. Much harder to score 60 in 2011-2012 than scoring 65 in 2007-2008.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
King of double standards

Why won't you answer my question? Afraid it will just destroy your argument?

Ageless, you have been called out on this many times before, your simple Trophy counting is just absurd. Not all trophy wins are created equally.

Competition, overall league scoring, injuries to competitors, team strength, PP vs 5-on-5, all of these factors have to be taken into consideration.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013

Ageless, you have been called out on this many times before, your simple Trophy counting is just absurd. Not all trophy wins are created equally.

Competition, overall league scoring, injuries to competitors, team strength, PP vs 5-on-5, all of these factors have to be taken into consideration.

Can you honestly not see your double standards livewell? You like to use Injuries against crosby but not the other way.

penguins2946*

Can you honestly not see your double standards livewell? You like to use Injuries against crosby but not the other way.

You guys both use double standards to both prop up and shoot down Sid. Accusing the other just makes you a hypocrite. Don't accuse the other of using double standards when you're guilty of it to.

nwaZ*

Please, take your fight somewhere else. This ain't the place to bicker about double standards and past disagreements.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Malkin's 11-12 season was significantly better than Jagr's season. Malkin had a 55 goal and 119 point pace in 11-12 (50 and 109 in 75) in a season where only 1 player hit 100 points, and Jagr had 54 goals and 123 points in 05-06 (in 82 games) in a season where 7 players hit 100 points. Malkin's season is clearly better. Scoring in 11-12 was much less than scoring in 05-06, and Malkin produced barely any less than Jagr in those seasons.

[mod]

Yet I have been fan of hockey in general and know that hockey is more than just Jagr.

Can Ageless ever chime in on a topic that doesn't involve Crosby?

None of what I said in here is subjective. BTW if you look at more than just scoring numbers but also team strength and linemates, you would see that Jagr had no one close to the caliber of a James Neal in 2005-06. He turned Petr Prucha into a 30 goals scorer for God's sake.

Also Malkin had one of the best two-way centers playing behind him in the lineup in 2011-12 (Staal). Jagr's Rangers were an array of journey men and players way past their prime.

Hey what do I know though about hockey though?

I'm not the one trying to argue that every single one of Crosby's seasons is the best since 2004-05.

I give credit where credit is due. The poster I was criticizing couldn't even name a single player that played pre-Crosby era.

BTW you picked Thornton's 2005-06 season but left out Jagr's. Can I ask you why? Last time I checked, scoring 54 goals is far more impressive than scoring 29 goals.

penguins2946*

Yet I have been fan of hockey in general and know that hockey is more than just Jagr.

Except you literally don't. Every one of your posts on HF either mentions Crosby or Jagr, usually propping up Jagr and crapping on Crosby. I actually looked at your post history, it's true. You're a hypocrite for calling out Ageless for being a Crosby fanboy when you literally do the exact same thing with Jagr.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Can Ageless ever chime in on a topic that doesn't involve Crosby?

None of what I said in here is subjective. BTW if you look at more than just scoring numbers but also team strength and linemates, you would see that Jagr had no one close to the caliber of a James Neal in 2005-06. He turned Petr Prucha into a 30 goals scorer for God's sake.

Also Malkin had one of the best two-way centers playing behind him in the lineup in 2011-12 (Staal). Jagr's Rangers were an array of journey men and players way past their prime.

Hey what do I know though about hockey though?

I'm not the one trying to argue that every single one of Crosby's seasons is the best since 2004-05.

I give credit where credit is due. The poster I was criticizing couldn't even name a single player that played pre-Crosby era.

BTW you picked Thornton's 2005-06 season but left out Jagr's. Can I ask you why? Last time I checked, scoring 54 goals is far more impressive than scoring 29 goals.

Can't speak for Vokouna but, there's more to game than just goals. Goals tend to be the end result of good plays.(most of the time)

Looking at players overall contribution, I look for how they impact play on ice. How much a player controls the game, makes the game played on his terms as oppose to his oppnent, etc... Jagr is great at it, no doubt and historically speaking, he'll be far ahead of Thronton when all is said and done. (He's far away as it stands, by all means.) That particular season, I can see why so many folks pick Thornton over Jagr. Thornton was a beast, as was Jagr. You actually have to watch to understand what that means though.

As far as the thread goes... Someone here mentioned Tim Thomas... I second that! Just an amazing season. Something we haven't seen since Hasek!

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Except you literally don't. Every one of your posts on HF either mentions Crosby or Jagr, usually propping up Jagr and crapping on Crosby. I actually looked at your post history, it's true. You're a hypocrite for calling out Ageless for being a Crosby fanboy when you literally do the exact same thing with Jagr.

Would you like me to post ever single post I have posted that had nothing to do with Jagr or Crosby? There are quite a few....

Can you post a single post from Ageless that has nothing to do with Crosby?

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Can't speak for Vokouna but, there's more to game than just goals. Goals tend to be the end result of good plays.(most of the time)

Looking at players overall contribution, I look for how they impact play on ice. How much a player controls the game, makes the game played on his terms as oppose to his oppnent, etc... Jagr is great at it, no doubt and historically speaking, he'll be far ahead of Thronton when all is said and done. (He's far away as it stands, by all means.) That particular season, I can see why so many folks pick Thornton over Jagr. Thornton was a beast, as was Jagr. You actually have to watch to understand what that means though.

As far as the thread goes... Someone here mentioned Tim Thomas... I second that! Just an amazing season. Something we haven't seen since Hasek!

I don't know, Lundqvist was pretty darn impressive in 2011-12 and was playing in front of a defensive unit that didn't have Chara or any defensive forward close to Bergeron's level.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I don't know, Lundqvist was pretty darn impressive in 2011-12 and was playing in front of a defensive unit that didn't have Chara or any defensive forward close to Bergeron's level.

Great season for Lundqvist, sure but, again... Looking at the blueline on paper has really nothing to do with it. His actual play on ice, the shots that, quite frankly, should have been goals, he pulled them out. Thomas' actual individual play is what stands out for me. You won't see me crediting the cup to him, that goes to the whole Bruins team. His individual play was, IMO, the most dominant of all since the lockout of 04-05.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad