Who's gonna stop the Mooseheads ?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
With Drouin going back down it is very unfortunate for our friends in Ontario and those of you on the westcoast, but the Q is gonna win it's 4th straight Memorial Cup.

Halifax has the following returnees from last year's championship squad (15):

Drouin
Andrews
Ryan
Ciampini
Falkenham
Ashley
Lindsay
Alcade
Weegar
Lewis
Murphy
Hardie
Duke
Lovell
Fucale

Additions of the Moynihan brothers, Ehlers and Meier will help compensate the losses of MacKinnon, Frk and MacAuley.

The other missing component is Abeltshauser, but Halifax's D is very good as is and remember, they can still improve at the deadline if desired.

Fucale and Drouin should be even better than last year.

Potentially, this team could be just as good as last year's squad.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Games are played on ice, not on paper, bro. But for Drouin's sake, I hope they kick some serious ass.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
So... What you're saying is that there's no MacKinnon or Frk. Ok then. As far as I'm concerned, they're ripe for the picking. Fucale is pretty overrated, IMO. I'm interested to see how he does this year.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
They are still definitely worse than they were last year and won the Memorial Cup by a single goal. Those new guys don't even come close too replacing what Mackinnon, Frk, and MacAuley brought...

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
They are still definitely worse than they were last year and won the Memorial Cup by a single goal. Those new guys don't even come close too replacing what Mackinnon, Frk, and MacAuley brought...

I did not list 15 names for nothing. When you get basically all of your depth players back that has to count for something. The fact these players are back and are all one year older makes the Mooseheads' depth quality superior to last year's team.

Do not underestimate Nikolaj Ehlers, a top-10 prospect for the upcoming draft and already showing a lot of offensive abilities. Doubt he does as good as Frk who was 19 last year, but he should be close.

MacKinnon is impossible to replace, but last year's Mooseheads team did not have 18 years olds Drouin and Fucale, fresh from NHL camp experience and possibly WJCs in December.

I also forgot about Fournier, who was a big piece. They did add Meier and the Moynihan brothers though, so let's see how everyone those. But remember last year's team was one of the best ever, so even if they downgrade a bit, they should still come out on top.

They did only win by one goal, but didn't the Hawks have Seth Jones as well as the top three scorers from the whole CHL ? Who's to say Halifax' opponents this year will have THAT many dominant players ?

member 147413

They are weaker then last year. I think last year had some great CHL teams. This year it's all over the map.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The Mooseheads were carried by Drouin, MacKinnon and Frk and they lost other productive offensive players in Fournier, Boudreau and Abeltshauser. I wont even say their depth was overrated, because I don't think their depth is good at all.

The Knights, especially now that Domi and Horvat are back, are the favourites this year.

poisonivy

05, 12, 13 Champs
May 18, 2013
London

Domi (1st, 2013) Horvat (1st, 2013) McCarron (1st, 2013)
Broadhurst (7th, 2011) Tierney (2nd, 2012) Anderson (4th, 2012)
M. Rupert (FA) R. Rupert (6th, 2012) Elie (2nd, 2013)
Dvorak (2014) Marner (2015) Platzer (4th, 2013)
Welychka (FA)

Zadorov (1st, 2013) Maatta (1st, 2012)
Mermis (FA) Basso (FA)
Liberati (7th, 2013) Centorame (2014)

Stolarz (2nd , 2012)
Patterson (FA)

Lots of these players have two OHL championships under their belt and therefore have been to two Mem. Cups. They will add one more top 4 d-man and maybe a stud forward.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah I think the London Knights are the favourites right now. My darkhorse/homer pick is the Kelowna Rockets. Damon Severson, Madison Bowey and Jesse Lees are all back and make that back end as good as anyone, and Myles Bell and Tyson Baillie (Draft eligable this year) will lead the forward group.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Yeah I think the London Knights are the favourites right now. My darkhorse/homer pick is the Kelowna Rockets. Damon Severson, Madison Bowey and Jesse Lees are all back and make that back end as good as anyone, and Myles Bell and Tyson Baillie (Draft eligable this year) will lead the forward group.

Do you think Baillie will be a first rounder? Or has the potential to be one?

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
London is probably better on paper but who really cares? You potentially get one crack at a team in the Mem cup, and I'm sure this thread is aimed at who will stop them in the Q, since we can't really talk about a guaranteed repeat this early...

Are they/will they be better than last year? No, no one will, even with a years experience. The roster we have healthy ATM does not have the ability to night in night out walk over the rest of Canada... Does it put us in the discussion with (whoever the true contenders are in the Q)? Yes. I would like to see this team make a big move at the deadline for a defenseman, possibly to jettison Ciampini and give up Fucale as a future at the draft to get a dillon Fournier type player to stack us up again...

The forward depth we have now should not be compared to last years because it's not fair... And the champion of this years Q will not need to have an offense like the '13 Mooseheads... But when you're in a position to put a player like Falkenham, who has and will be very patient, on the 3rd line again means you have the depth up front to compete... Ryan and Andrews have improved and the two euros show incredible individual talent, it's all a matter of gelling with the team on ice...

No one who lives in Halifax or watched a minute of hockey in the Metro Centre is concerned with goaltending in the slightest, but hey this is HF boards so goaltending is "questionable" for the Moose. ;)

Defense will need to replace Konrad and Duke's steady presence. But Weegar is bigger (very noticeable), faster and smarter, and Lussier is a great pick up too... Another top-4 D and this team can start thinking about the Memorial Cup 2.0

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Do you think Baillie will be a first rounder? Or has the potential to be one?

Yes I do. He was projected to be a mid to late first rounder before the season started and has started out with 4pts (2g 2a) in his first 3 games.

I dont know if theres a Baillie thread on here yet, but I will likely be going to a few Rockets games this year so I will be keeping an eye on him leading up to the draft.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I was at the Mooseheads game yesterday against Sherbrooke. Drouin is badly needed. The forward core has speed but no finish. Ehlers looks promising, but he's still adjusting. The defense should be better than it looks. Lewis, Murphy and Weegar are all back. Lussier handles the puck like a grenade and the group are turnover machines. Losing the 25 minutes a night Abeltshauser provided may be the most glaring hole.

With Drouin, they're a virtual lock for the playoffs, but it's going to be a much more lunch box team.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Would be more than okay with the Mooseheads winning again, because that means London's dynasty is fruitless at the Memorial Cup.

Whatever it takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad