Who's Going to Be the Best Goaltender(s) in the league in 3-5 years?

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Carter Hart that D will be polished Couturier will be winning Selkes
Vasilevsky
Whoever the Leafs Goaltender is at the time .....they will have a developed or signed/traded for Top RHD defensive D and have an above average defensive forward core. I think this year you will see a huge decrease in GA just by subtraction.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Carey Price

HF is so fickle. He's still the best. He's in the midst of his prime. In 3-5 years he'll still be there.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Vasilevskiy is an easy one, but it's hard to find the diamond in the rough, goaltender is such an unpredictable job.

Almost no goalies get drafted in the first round. A team could find some unknown swedish or Finnish goalie and lead the league, or a kid in junior drafted on the 6th round.

I'll throw some name of rookie guys that could be close to the top of NHL in a couple of years.

Hart (Philly)
Demko (Canucks)
Saros (Nashville)

and the already established

Hellebuyck
Gibson

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck
Gibson
Matt Murray
Valislevsky

Have an odd feeling Vegas is going to snag one of the future best goalies of all-time that'll replace Fleury. Goaltending is generally hard to predict overall.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Carey Price

HF is so fickle. He's still the best. He's in the midst of his prime. In 3-5 years he'll still be there.

Price has been the best goalie for like 2 seasons, Bobrovsky has more Vezinas. Why does Price get the benefit of still being considered the best when he hasn't been lately and wasn't for any longer than younger and currently better goaltenders?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Vasilevskiy you would think, but from year to year it pretty much always changes so who knows, it could be any one of 10 guys or someone who isn't in the league yet.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Price has been the best goalie for like 2 seasons, Bobrovsky has more Vezinas. Why does Price get the benefit of still being considered the best when he hasn't been lately and wasn't for any longer than younger and currently better goaltenders?

Ask 45% of active NHL players why they think so.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
That's not remotely old for a goalie. Goalies generally peak later than forwards or defensemen even.

Lundqvist is 36 and has clearly lost a couple of steps the last 2-3 years.

How many 34+ year old goalies in the NHL are among the top-10?

Rinne? (perhaps)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vasilevskiy. Among those in the NHL right now, I think Gibson and Saros will also be close to the the top.

The best prospect outside the NHL is Samsonov. Shestyorkin is another with a good chance to be one of the best in the NHL. I don't know why so many are naming Sorokin. Sorokin has always been worse than Shestyorkin, yet so many name Sorokin, but few name Shestyorkin. The Russian NT goalie coach even said recently that Shestyorkin's game has developed well the last few years, while Sorokin's hasn't. I guess the initial season that Sorokin got KHL minutes while Shestyorkin got it a year later still carries over to today in perception. Thats not to say Sorokin is bad. He's a good goalie, but I'm not sure he's tracking towards being one of the best in the NHL.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lundqvist is 36 and has clearly lost a couple of steps the last 2-3 years.

How many 34+ year old goalies in the NHL are among the top-10?

Rinne? (perhaps)

Historically there are no shortage of 34+ goalies who are among the elite, that's all I'm saying.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
How did it take this long for someone to mention Shestyorkin lol
Currently first in the KHL in every category
4-0-0
.961 SV%
1.00 GAA
2 Shutouts

Last season:
20-4-4
0.933 SV%
1.69 GAA
7 Shutouts

Season before that:
27-4-6
0.937 SV%
1.64 GAA
8 Shutouts

Last years playoffs shutout every game he played, year before that's playoffs .940 SV% & 1.84GAA
In international play had one tournament where he played 2 games and both were shutouts. At the WC played 4 games with .942 SV% & 1.46 GAA.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

No one is saying Bobrovsky either.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Vladar from Boston looked pretty good. 21, 6 foot 5 and good lateral movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad