Speculation: Who's getting JT Compher?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'm probably one of the only JT Compher supporters among Avs fans here, and with him approaching UFA for the first time and coming off a career season of 52 points, I wonder who would be a good fit for his services?

He's not going to blow your mind game to game, and can be prone to lazy spurts, but he's as clutch as they come and always scores when it matters. He's also a great utility player, can fit anywhere in the bottom 9 and facilitate the offense.

All this said, someone is likely to badly overpay for him based on a great contract season and based on his championship pedigree. So who's it going to be?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
who needs a center really bad and will overpay? Vancouver is my guess. They like bad UFA deals

winnipeg is a maybe once they sell Scheifele and PLD.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If Calgary trades Lindolm or Backlund, I could see them picking up Compher. At a realistic price that is.

3.5M is his current salary and I don't see him getting a payday much larger than that, his 52 point season notwithstanding.

The key is whether or not teams feel his career year was a breakthrough to the next level or just an outlier.

Reactions: hn777

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He makes $3.5 million now. He’s certainly not taking a pay cut after 52 points and by far a career year. At 28 this is his one chance to cash in. And although not a fan favorite, he will be over-used by your coach because of his perceived versatility.

He’s not a bad player. But I can almost guarantee some team is going to do $4+ over 4 years or so. In which case he will be significantly overpaid.

Reactions: CanuckCity

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If Calgary trades Lindolm or Backlund, I could see them picking up Compher. At a realistic price that is.

3.5M is his current salary and I don't see him getting a payday much larger than that, his 52 point season notwithstanding.

The key is whether or not teams feel his career year was a breakthrough to the next level or just an outlier.
He is definitely going to get a significantly larger deal. He got $3.5 based on being a 30 point player. He is coming off a year where he was utilized in top six minutes. His versatility is going to be appealing to GMs and coaches.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I don't think $4 million is an overpay for Compher coming off a career season. I do think $5 million is an overpay for what Compher brings

Whoever says anything over $3 million is a disaster wasn't even remotely watching when we won the Cup, because Compher was a key cog at the most important times

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I posted this a few weeks ago, but here's a comparable:

AgeExp. CapGPGAP+/-
JT Compher28$3.5042388106194-4
Andrew Copp (2022)28$3.6448382120202+69

Both guys were coming off their first 50+ point season (52 for JT, 53 for Copp), and Compher has a better track record for injuries.

Copp got $5.625x5, and with the cap rising in upcoming seasons, I expect the same or possibly even more for Compher.

As far as teams go, I'm betting on Chicago adding their hometown player.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
A $4M deal x 8 would work for Calgary in my view.

This would solidify the centre position (to a degree) if they lose Lindholm or Backlund or both. And Kadr and Compher are former teammates.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
This just feels like the Mikheyev situation all over again. A perfectly fine player, who has produced perfectly fine numbers, and a done a perfectly fine job on their highly successful team being paid like a guy who will be a difference maker when in fact? They will be an overpaid.....perfectly fine player

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
A $4M deal x 8 would work for Calgary in my view.

This would solidify the centre position (to a degree) if they lose Lindholm or Backlund or both. And Kadr and Compher are former teammates.
He'll get higher than a $4 MM AAV, which seems completely unrealistic.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don’t think he will get a big contract. Instead something short with a low cap hit.
He might be strategic and go for a 1-year deal, hoping to really cash in when the cap rises next season. The $ he might get on a 3 or 4 year deal next season will be much higher than today.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
This just feels like the Mikheyev situation all over again. A perfectly fine player, who has produced perfectly fine numbers, and a done a perfectly fine job on their highly successful team being paid like a guy who will be a difference maker when in fact? They will be an overpaid.....perfectly fine player

He's fine but not F-I-N-E fine?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad