Speculation: Who's behind the moves today?

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
So I noticed that these three moves today are moves that a half-Pejorative Slured chimpanzee WOULDNT make. They're not exactly Pronger for brewer, but it's clear that some sort of logic was used in thinking them out. Do you guys think Nicholson is starting to exert a little power over MacT?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Big Picture

Roy is a better number 2 man then Archo
Fraser is a depth guy who is a better skater then Steve
If it is true the oilers are preparing to send down Leon

to me--the moves make sense--Even if Leon is not sent down--he gives Shelter for Leon---Roy is a vet that I think can help the team

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well I'm not sure what the Oilers did to put Roy and Fraser on waivers...

I'm not sure about the logic behind us trading for Roy AFTER he cleared waivers rather than just trading for him before St.Louis did that. If we really wanted Roy then we just risked losing him to every other team in the league.

At any rate, it's seems obvious that management all talks to each other and MacT, Lowe, Howson, and Nicholson all collaborate on every major move. MacT likely has final say but he probably listens to the others a lot

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Big Picture

Roy is a better number 2 man then Archo
Fraser is a depth guy who is a better skater then Steve
If it is true the oilers are preparing to send down Leon

to me--the moves make sense--Even if Leon is not sent down--he gives Shelter for Leon---Roy is a vet that I think can help the team

I'd say Pinizzoto is definitely a better skater than Fraser. This is one of Fraser's big weaknesses.

Fraser has been a successful goal scorer in the AHL, but he is quite slow.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'd say Pinizzoto is definitely a better skater than Fraser. This is one of Fraser's big weaknesses.

Fraser has been a successful goal scorer in the AHL, but he is quite slow.

The few games I saw Fraser looked to be more agile then steve--Steve P seemed to lack the ability to move properly on skates. Like with me.. point A to point B I was very fast--put me in traffic my mobility was poor

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
A thread about who's "behind" three (?) extraordinary minor moves?

Jun 9, 2011
Well I'm not sure what the Oilers did to put Roy and Fraser on waivers...

I'm not sure about the logic behind us trading for Roy AFTER he cleared waivers rather than just trading for him before St.Louis did that. If we really wanted Roy then we just risked losing him to every other team in the league.

At any rate, it's seems obvious that management all talks to each other and MacT, Lowe, Howson, and Nicholson all collaborate on every major move. MacT likely has final say but he probably listens to the others a lot
His team was probably hoping someone would pick him up without them having to take a contract or salary back. Edmonton may have waited so that they could move a contract for him. If he was claimed by another team, no big deal.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So I noticed that these three moves today are moves that a half-Pejorative Slured chimpanzee WOULDNT make. They're not exactly Pronger for brewer, but it's clear that some sort of logic was used in thinking them out. Do you guys think Nicholson is starting to exert a little power over MacT?

This is the guy that put it together.

I have my sources:

Pentagram_satan.GIF

:D

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

These seem like typical easily made moves, the same sort of thing MacT has been doing the whole time. Your junk pieces for our junk pieces. Dont see any reason to think anything has changed with management at best it's the Hemsky for Hendricks deal at worst it's Schultz for a 5th round pick. Typical MacT move.

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

These seem like typical easily made moves, the same sort of thing MacT has been doing the whole time. Your junk pieces for our junk pieces. Dont see any reason to think anything has changed with management at best it's the Hemsky for Hendricks deal at worst it's Schultz for a 5th round pick. Typical MacT move.
He keeps retooling our bottom six.. Mostly our bottom line. Which isn't the problem. Hendricks Gordon Pylon is a great 4th line.. We don't need anymore swaps on it. We need 2 legit scoring lines... We barely have one at this point.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
This seems exactly the type of moves that McT has been doing. Minor fixes on the whole for mistakes that he previously made. It takes him a while, but he does eventually figure it out. Unfortunately by that time, the season is done. Also, no bold moves to help out long term.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
He keeps retooling our bottom six.. Mostly our bottom line. Which isn't the problem. Hendricks Gordon Pylon is a great 4th line.. We don't need anymore swaps on it. We need 2 legit scoring lines... We barely have one at this point.

Been saying this for a couple of years. Bottom 6 isn't the problem. Sure, I'd like to see more scoring from the 3rd/4th lines, but that's not their role.

Our issue is with the wrong mix in the top 6. Too many similar players and not enough toughness.

That, mixed with substandard defense and poor goaltending is why we suck.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Jones: McDavid, Eichel or bust

There’s only one way the Edmonton Oilers season could get any worse than it is now with their nine game losing streak and the 20 losses in their last 21 games.

They could start winning.

Seriously. That’s not meant as some sort of smart alec one liner. It’s the truth.

Personally I agree with Jones, drafting one of McDavid or Eichel would be the only consolation for this awful season. I don't care about the recent moves, and frankly I don't want them to make us marginally better, to the point where we miss a top 2 pick. In November perhaps there was still glimmer of hope to regain respectability this season, but now....keep your eyes on the prize.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Now can we waive nikiton and roll klef-fayne, mari-petry, ferr-Schultz and we are only 1 center away from a somewhat NHL quality lineup.

Come on Nelson, don't let us down.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think the Arco/Roy trade is 100% MacT.

I don't think its a stretch to say that last season when Arco was one of the best forwards to start the season it was MacT who decided to rush Gagner back with big minutes and demote Arco to the 4th line then further to the AHL. MacT needed Gagner in the lineup in a big role to validate the horrible contract he gave him. It was painfully obvious that Gagner wasn't ready for the task and Arco at the time was doing a very good job. But it looks bad on the GM to have a tweeter out performing his shiny $4.8M man. MacT tried to sign Roy during the offseason and Roy held out to sign with a team that he wanted to play for. Now MacT got his man. Hopefully Roy brings a good attitude and effort level even though he is now having to play for the joke of a club that he didn't want to sign with in the offseason.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Now can we waive nikiton and roll klef-fayne, mari-petry, ferr-Schultz and we are only 1 center away from a somewhat NHL quality lineup.

Come on Nelson, don't let us down.

Don't waive him just get him on LTIR for the remainder of his contract. Back issues are a btch.

RNH - xxxxx - Gordon - xxxx

Still need two NHL quality centers. Roy is not a quality NHL center anymore

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Oilers picked up a combined 4 goals and traded away 7. Don't exactly need divine intervention to make that happen.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Oilers picked up a combined 4 goals and traded away 7. Don't exactly need divine intervention to make that happen.

Yep they picked up two players who have 4 goals on teams that don't struggle to score and removed from the roster two players who have 9 goals on a roster that struggles badly to score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad