Who's been worse to start the 2021 season?

Who's been worse to start the 2021 season?

• Total voters

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Dumo has been so bad. I'd almost just play Marino with Letang and move Dumo down to the third pairing with Ruhweedle. POJ has surprised me and I want to see him play with Ceci. Zucker a close second.

Zucker - Crosby - Kap
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Tb - Tanev
ERod - Jank - Sceviour

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Dumo has been so bad. I'd almost just play Marino with Letang and move Dumo down to the third pairing with Ruhweedle. POJ has surprised me and I want to see him play with Ceci. Zucker a close second.

Zucker - Crosby - Kap
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Tb - Tanev
ERod - Jank - Sceviour

I think almost all of us agree on those forward lines and I posted them many times over this past week. I disagree on your demotion of Dumoulin. This is why I picked fans for this post. Fans on these boards always want to pull the trigger on trading a player or demoting a player when they are going through a tough stretch. I remember a few years back half this board wanted to give Rust away as a cap dump to get rid of his $3.5 cap hit after he had a rough half of a season. Now we see how stupid that would of been after last year.

So the point is Dumoulin didn't play much last year due to injury and we had a big layoff because big Covid. Lets give Dumoulin some consistent games for at least 20 games before talk of demoting him. Plus I think the Dumoulin-Letang pairing is starting to look better. They had been our worst pairing to start the year. They will be fine.

Last edited:

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I think almost all of us agree on those forward lines and I posted them many times over this past week. I disagree on your demotion of Dumoulin. This is why I picked fans for this post. Fans on these boards always want to pull the trigger on trading a player or demoting a player when they are going through a tough stretch. I remember a few years back half this board wanted to give Rust away as a cap dump to get rid of his $3.5 cap hit after he had a rough half of a season. Now we are how stupid that would of been after last year.

So the point is Dumoulin didn't play much last year due to injury and we had a big layoff because big Covid. Lets give Dumoulin some consistent games for at least 20 games before talk of demoting him. Plus I think the Dumoulin-Letang pairing is starting to look better. They had been our worst pairing to start the year. They will be fine.

I'm not talking about trading him. He needs less and easier minutes right now to build back his confidence. He needs to find his game again and not constantly try to overcompensate because he has to cover for Letangs mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Tough question. Zucker played a historically awful game yesterday and generally he is doing next to nothing. Dumoulin is probably hurting us more but it is also more difficult for him. Very disappointed in Zucker so far this season. Yesterday was really really shocking game from him.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'm not talking about trading him. He needs less and easier minutes right now to build back his confidence. He needs to find his game again and not constantly trying to overcompensate because he has to cover for Letangs mistakes.

Good points. I do think they are getting better and I expect good things from our top pairing. I don't think we need to break them up yet. I think this team is on the verge of starting to play good hockey. As I type this then watch a 5-0 loss tommorow.:laugh:

I do see progress though. I am just counting those first 5 games as training camp and preseason. Going 3-2 while playing that poorly is a bonus.:thumbu:

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Good points. I do think they are getting better and I expect good things from our top pairing. I don't think we need to break them up yet. I think this team is on the verge of starting to play good hockey. As I type this then watch a 5-0 loss tommorow.:laugh:

I do see progress though. I am just counting those first 5 games as training camp and preseason. Going 3-2 while playing that poorly is a bonus.:thumbu:

Sucks Pettersson is hurt. He would be the most logical to play on the top line and then have Dumo - Marino as the second pairing. I really don't see us getting better until the top 6 is changed up. I think that is the key to everything.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Sucks Pettersson is hurt. He would be the most logical to play on the top line and then have Dumo - Marino as the second pairing. I really don't see us getting better until the top 6 is changed up. I think that is the key to everything.

Everyone can see it except Sullivan.

Reactions: ownal

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Tough question. Zucker played a historically awful game yesterday and generally he is doing next to nothing. Dumoulin is probably hurting us more but it is also more difficult for him. Very disappointed in Zucker so far this season. Yesterday was really really shocking game from him.

If this keeps up Sullivan needs to go. I don't want to judge anyone on just 5 games so l am not saying now. Sullivan can have a little patience to give the line time to gel but if Zucker is still terrible after a few more games it is time to put him with Crosby and Guentzel with Malkin. We all know the Guentzel-Malkin-Rust line was one of they best in hockey last year. Zucker also worked well with Crosby last season. So a Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen line could be very strong. Bottom 6 looks like a strength and not a weakness so let's get that top 6 worked out. If not Sullivan needs to go and I think with the right coach this team can get the job done. Again not calling for Sullivan's head yet.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Guentzel is -5 and Crosby has zero points 5 on 5, not trying Jake with Geno at least for a few shifts is criminally stupid. I mean, it's not like the top lines can produce any less and the defense is a mess as it is, so what's the worst that could happen?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Zucker has been making plays and getting opportunities, Just been unlucky imo. He's playing Well.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
It is insane how people want to take our #1 wing from our #1 center to fix line #2 just because. And after just 5 games and no training camp.

But this is a favorite player messageboard. Not a penguin messageboard.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
It is insane how people want to take our #1 wing from our #1 center to fix line #2 just because. And after just 5 games and no training camp.

Yeah, really insane to want to change things in the top 2 lines after 5 games and one secondary assist being the entire 5 on 5 point total of Sid and Geno. Crazy talk, am I right? A little over a year ago, Malkin-Guentzel-Rust was one the best lines in the NHL (and incidentally you were nowhere to be seen on this forum), while Zucker has shown a lot more chemistry with Crosby than with Malkin. If it works, the team becomes much better, if it doesn't, it's back to square one. Are Sid and Jake going to forget how to play together if Jake gets moved for a period or two?

Last edited:

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Yeah, really insane to want to change things in the top 2 lines after 5 games and one secondary assist being the entire 5 on 5 point total of Sid and Geno. Crazy talk, am I right? A little over a year ago, Malkin-Guentzel-Rust was one the best lines in the NHL (and incidentally you were nowhere to be seen on this forum), while Zucker has shown a lot more chemistry with Crosby than with Malkin. If it works, the team becomes much better, if it doesn't, it's back to square one. Are Sid and Jake going to forget how to play together if Jake gets moved for a period or two?

I value consistency with the lines especially without a training camp. I mean your reasoning disregards that Crosby/Guentzel works.

That's because we want everything Malkin's way because we love #71.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I value consistency with the lines especially without a training camp. I mean your reasoning disregards that Crosby/Guentzel works.

That's because we want everything Malkin's way because we love #71.

Are you ignoring the fact Zucker & Crosby had chemistry and now they have a legit winger in Kap to push that line even further?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Are you ignoring the fact Zucker & Crosby had chemistry and now they have a legit winger in Kap to push that line even further?

Geno Geno Geno.

Sid's the #1 center. He gets the #1 winger.

You people...are unbelievable.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
also I didn’t want to answer this poll because ragging on the fanbase is ridiculous...there are a few other players who should be on this list too and I’m mightily surprised given the poll’s creator that all the listed options weren’t “Malkin”

I find fans who rag on other fans for legitimate complaints are insufferable.

Blindly cheering on your team and praising everything the coaches and management does doesn't make you a better fan.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I find fans who rag on other fans for legitimate complaints are insufferable.

Blindly cheering on your team and praising everything the coaches and management does doesn't make you a better fan.

In this particular fan's case, it's because one of the complaints may involve a superior player riding shotgun with his least favorite player.

Just a mean, miserable SOB. Reminds me of the neighbor I had when I was a kid, yelling at kids every time we were throwing a ball around on the street and it landed on his lawn.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
And the #13 forward on the other side.

Hey it looks like the experiment isn't working. Let's not forget Crosby made Dupuis work and Dupuis was a healthy scratch before Sid made him. But the fans only disagree with coaching moves when it doesn't work.

Rod has more even strength goals than Malkin though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad