who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Briere's salary after this lost season is only 3 mil. next season, and 2 mil. the following season. Cap hit is irrelevant with us because we wont be spending to the max if there is one, and if they get rid of the cap it is completely meaningless. I'd take Briere on the team over Steve Sullivan personally. But you're right, I wouldn't give up much for him. Especially not Yandle or even Gormley.

I'm well aware of his salary situation as well as our budget constraints and the relatively small impact cap hits have as a result. That's not my point. His cap hit reduces his value on the actual trade market. It limits our competition. With limited demand, Briere has less value. That's the point. Whether we care about his cap hit or not it hurts his trade value.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I'm well aware of his salary situation as well as our budget constraints and the relatively small impact cap hits have as a result. That's not my point. His cap hit reduces his value on the actual trade market. It limits our competition. With limited demand, Briere has less value. That's the point. Whether we care about his cap hit or not it hurts his trade value.

Completely missed your point. my mistake. I didn't even look at it from that point of view.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Five foot nine inch, 36 year old center with a six point five million dollar cap hit, two years removed from a 49 point season is not worth much more. Especially considering what Derek Roy and Mike Ribeiro fetched at the draft. I'd go as high as a 2nd rounder maybe.

Plus, guy has a NMC. What team can actually afford him that he'd actually be willing to go to? It's not like we will have competition. At least not much. Either Philly wants to Dave the cap space or they don't. We will have other options. They might not.

He'd be a hell of a role model for our only two centers close to being ready for the NHL. There are several reasons this makes sense for both clubs but his NMC combined with his children and ex-wife will probably trump them all.

rt

May 13, 2004
Completely missed your point. my mistake. I didn't even look at it from that point of view.

re-reading that post I came off as short and hostile. I didn't mean to be a Dick. I was just distracted and didn't give any consideration to tone. Muh bee. Muh bee.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
He'd be a hell of a role model for our only two centers close to being ready for the NHL. There are several reasons this makes sense for both clubs but his NMC combined with his children and ex-wife will probably trump them all.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be THRILLED to have him back. I just wouldnt be willing to overpay and I don't think his value will be all that high once the season is officially cancelled. We reacquired Morris and Michalek so inexpensively because we were one of the only teams they were willing to be traded to that were willing to trade for them. I'm guessing if Briere is asked to waive his NMC, his case will be the same. That's all. I'd love him back, though.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
The imbalance in the scenario is the problem. Yandle and Gormley are young, stud d-men. Guys who arguably have not yet hit their stride. One's more established than the other but either one of them should fetch a lot more than an undersized, albeit very talented centre, who is on the downswing of his career.

At 36 years old (next season), how much top flight hockey does Dany have left in him?

I'd love to bring him back but not for either of the two players mentioned by the OP. How about DeMo and a pick? Or maybe Stone, Summers or Goncharov?

Briere would probably love it, too. In the desert he can play a much more prominent role for the next couple of years because he won't have Giroux and Couturier to compete for ice time with...

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Connelly and Lombardi could be had from the Leafs for very little. These two would be the type to turn around there careers in Pheonix.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Peverley, although the Bruins do have Horton coming off the books, if they choose to re-sign him after injury. I'd even make a play at Horton after this season, and see what happens. RW is a position that we are decent at, but it is probably the weakest of our three forward positions, depth-wise...

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
What would you think of:

Brandon Gormley for Sean Couturier & 3rd 2013?

Keith Yandle, Lauri Korpikoski & 2nd 2014 for Jonathan Toews?

We have so much resources back defensively and our offensive counterpart is definatively Edmonton. Sooner or later the just have to screen among their talent, to not only waste their value and talent but also give room for qualification spots.
Jordan Eberle is one of the golden nuggets I'ld like, but it feels like grasping towards clouds.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What would you think of:

We have so much resources back defensively and our offensive counterpart is definatively Edmonton. Sooner or later the just have to screen among their talent, to not only waste their value and talent but also give room for qualification spots.
Jordan Eberle is one of the golden nuggets I'ld like, but it feels like grasping towards clouds.

Ignoring value, since I'm horrible at that; If you are proposing the Coyotes do both of these deals the team suddenly isn't so lush with resources on the back end. Anything is possible but it seems to me that Gormley is almost a guarantee to be a high level NHL contributor for years. IMO you don't trade that for a center whose offensive ceiling I question.

And there is no chance Chicago trades Toews.

My main philosophy with what to do with our devensive resources is, I'd rather have an outstanding defense + goal-tending with mediocre forwards than oustanding goal-tending with average forwards and defense. That's what these types of trades do IMO, and that makes winning on a budget impossible.

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
Ignoring value, since I'm horrible at that; If you are proposing the Coyotes do both of these deals the team suddenly isn't so lush with resources on the back end. Anything is possible but it seems to me that Gormley is almost a guarantee to be a high level NHL contributor for years. IMO you don't trade that for a center whose offensive ceiling I question.

And there is no chance Chicago trades Toews.

My main philosophy with what to do with our devensive resources is, I'd rather have an outstanding defense + goal-tending with mediocre forwards than oustanding goal-tending with average forwards and defense. That's what these types of trades do IMO, and that makes winning on a budget impossible.

With posibility for modification ofc. The Toews trade I dont know what I thought throwing in Korpikoski, a joke honestly haha. My bad. It's possible that I overvalued the potential in Melindy, Rundblad etc. But we do have a serious strength back there.
I do agree, Toews will be stuck being Hawk for a long future. He's my ideal to see in our top line, or Eberle..

Anyhow, we share the same philosophy and also it is the kind of philosophy Maloney and Coyotes goes for. It is a safe and good key in the long run to get success.
It'll be interesting to see now when we've reached a new phase in our team building, when there's to find a top offensive strenght that contributes both statisticly and practicaly in the team.

rt

May 13, 2004
What would you think of:

Pretty sure both Philly and Chicago would laugh at those offers. Even if you drop the Philly third and add a PHX 2nd, they'd still say no rather easily. I can tell because I'd be delighted to trade Gormley and a 2nd for Couturier. If it doesn't realllllllly make you hesitate the other team laughs as they say no. Couterier is a safe, proven young commodity. Even younger than the less proven Gormley. The "fit" is just fine because Philly needs a D like we all hope Gormley will become. The uncertainty, however, skews the value heavily in our favor.

The value is probably fair on the Hawks deal but Toews is their captain and they've already got two number one D in Chicago. With Seabrook and Keith already getting 30mins a night, why trade your face of the franchise, young number one center for another top D? This deal has fine value for Chicago but I think it's a poor fit for the Hawks.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
There's no way that Chicago even considers that for Toews. We could add two top prospects or first rounders to that and I still don't think they'd be interested.

I'm not entirely sure Philly is going to be interested in the other deal, either. I wouldn't be upset if we traded Gormley for Couturier. Mainly because even if you second-guess his offensive ceiling, he'd be ideal for this system. It would be like adding another Hanzal to the lineup. I'm sure Philly sees him as more than his point totals. They'd have to be completely sold on Gormley as the real deal.

rt

May 13, 2004
Getzlaf, Zajac, Ribeiro Weiss, Filppula, and Roy have expiring contracts and will likely get fat contracts. Guys probably looking for reasonable deals include Connolly, McDonald, Bozak, Lombardi, Cullen. We probably have a decent shot at some of those names if Donald Fehr decides to cancel the NHL. There are also a ton of wingers available.

So let's say Fehr gets his way and destroys the season but the PA manages to ouster him before he destroys the entire sport.

Why sacrifice hugely valuable assets like Yandle, Gormley or Rundblad? Let's at least try dipping into the UFA pool first.

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
Getzlaf, Zajac, Ribeiro Weiss, Filppula, and Roy have expiring contracts and will likely get fat contracts. Guys probably looking for reasonable deals include Connolly, McDonald, Bozak, Lombardi, Cullen. We probably have a decent shot at some of those names if Donald Fehr decides to cancel the NHL. There are also a ton of wingers available.

So let's say Fehr gets his way and destroys the season but the PA manages to ouster him before he destroys the entire sport.

Why sacrifice hugely valuable assets like Yandle, Gormley or Rundblad? Let's at least try dipping into the UFA pool first.

I guess each organization has it's own love for each player and prospect, probably there is to focus on which players that are or will be futuring misfits in current team. But not least as you rt say, give a shot at UFA pool. The cautious and long-term have brought success so far, and it really is a safe card for success. I think we should stick it to that way.
Allthought we all like speculating in trades, thats what this place are for ;) I shared some of mine and I do appreciated your inputs.

I would honestly never ever seriously include Yandle in a another trade proposal than for a definite offensive 1st line forward/center. Yandle is one of the guys I could see ending his career in Coyotes, if he turns a top D, which I think is most likely eventhough he would fight for it hard when Gormley steps up for real.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

There are a lot of wild-cards, in terms of contracts. Stalberg may be available, but we would have to have a pretty generous starting offer, as the Hawks are going to be trying to get Frolik signed long-term, and they need to spend some money on a capable plug for Crawford. Horton is coming off injury, and we could get him cheap.

Now, if we did do a deal - I think Buffalo would be the first team that we should talk to - I think they have 4 D that are FAs, 3 of them UFAs. It might be worth it to see what a deal involving Stone or Summers might fetch. It might be a stretch to say Rundblad for Stafford, but I think that a pick would have to come to us for that to happen.

Like rt said - this is only of all possible FA decisions are exhausted, and I think we could stand to make an impact there, rather than make trades...

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
Pretty sure Philly would laugh at that offer. Even if you drop the Philly third and add a PHX 2nd, they'd still say no rather easily. I can tell because I'd be delighted to trade Gormley and a 2nd for Couturier. If it doesn't realllllllly make you hesitate the other team laughs as they say no. Couterier is a safe, proven young commodity. Even younger than the less proven Gormley. The "fit" is just fine because Philly needs a D like we all hope Gormley will become. The uncertainty, however, skews the value heavily in our favor.

Either I over, or you under value Gormley. :confused:

rt

May 13, 2004
Either I over, or you under value Gormley. :confused:

I love Gormley. I think he's going to be awesome. He's COMPLETELY unproven. Couturier has shown a tremendous amount at the NHL level already. I'm not saying he's a better prospect but I think his trade value is much, much higher. I'm only talking about trade value, not career upside.

I think a closer comparable would be Brayden Schenn. I'd do a Schenn for Gormley trade. I'm not sure about Flyers fans, though.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Would we trade Hanzal for Gormley even if we needed a defenseman? Because you're essentially asking Philly to give up their 20 year-old, two-way center coming off a very respectable rookie season that they just spent an 8th overall pick on a year ago.
I think Gormley is going to be a stud, but I wouldn't touch that if I was Philadelphia. Shenn is probably closer value, but I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable dealing Gormley for him.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Another rental I was thinking is Iginla (or should I say dreaming of).
Think about his NMC and saying he would only take a trade to the Coyotes (a legitimate contender, be reunited with Doan, Moss and Playfair) . He would be a great fit (understatement). If only JI & the Flames would do this favor.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If 2 buyouts per team is part of a new CBA then the thought of us acquiring a very good player for little or no cost really goes out the window and changes to us signing someone who is currently overpaid who gets a buyout. Scott Gomez comes easily to mind. At $1-$1.5 M does he become an option for Maloney?

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
If 2 buyouts per team is part of a new CBA then the thought of us acquiring a very good player for little or no cost really goes out the window and changes to us signing someone who is currently overpaid who gets a buyout. Scott Gomez comes easily to mind. At $1-$1.5 M does he become an option for Maloney?

The Coyotes are currently at 48 contracts. i don't think they'll take on a contract without giving one up. IMO, Gomez would not be an improvement on (unsigned) Langkow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad