Who would you want to replace Blashill?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
To keep it simple, changing what doesn't work. PP sucks for ages, try something else. Luke &/or Sheahan in the top 6 didn't pay off, get back to lines that worked. Dump & Chase not working at all, try something else.

This guy is just the definition of being clueless to me. Not saying "put me there instead". I'm not the NHL coach here. He's paid to do is job.
And it surprises me that there may still be ppl out there that don't consider him being bad at his job despite sucking.

Just explaining it by "it's the coach's fault" is too easy. Doing so merely by referring to the roster is as well.

Fundamentally there is no alternative to dump and chase with a low-skill team, unless you want us to turn over the puck at the blue line. Is Sheahan struggling? Sure he is, but so is 90% of this roster. Do you honestly think Blash is the only coach in the NHL that would try him in the top six as a desperation move or to get him going?

I will chuckle when we get a new coach and he does some of the exact same things that people want to hang Blash for (which oddly enough were tried by Babcock before him).

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Is Sheahan struggling? Sure he Do you honestly think Blash is the only coach in the NHL that would try him in the top six as a desperation move or to get him going?

I will chuckle when we get a new coach and he does some of the exact same things that people want to hang Blash for (which oddly enough were tried by Babcock before him).

That's why I'm not phrasing it as "doesn't matter who takes his job, everyone is better right now".

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That's why I'm not phrasing it as "doesn't matter who takes his job, everyone is better right now".

That is probably correct if the entire team has tuned him out (this may very well be the case). Even very good coaches, however, get tuned out at some point.

I don't know if he is a good or bad coach at the NHL level. I do think his days are numbered in Detroit and understand why people want change. I am just not sold that the future will be that much different.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Nothing will change until Holland is gone. This team has been on a downward trend for years. Babs wanted out and I believe he was motivated by more than money and the allure of turning around the hapless Maple Leafs. Firing Blashill would make him nothing more than a sacrificial lamb.

Stevie Y could return greatness to Hockeytown.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
If Blash stops doing crap like sitting Sproul for several games for a guy with no organizational future, I don't really care if he sticks it out for the season. None of the other options are long-term-better anyways.

See what happens at the end of the year (in terms of other coaches becoming available and whether Holland finally accepts that promotion), and then move on. Doing it now just lets the organization pretend like it's not the talent level that's holding the team back.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Nelson or torch

Anyone that's voting for gallant fell for the panthers are Stanley cup contender vibes last year. Gallant isn't any better then blash. Give them both a good roster and both will perform

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Nelson or torch

Anyone that's voting for gallant fell for the panthers are Stanley cup contender vibes last year. Gallant isn't any better then blash. Give them both a good roster and both will perform

I like the idea of Nelson but If we are talking about a mid season change I do not like the idea of forcing a change on Grand Rapids as well. Nelson and the Griffin's have a good thing going in the AHL. Throwing a new guy at our prospects when the current situation is working so well is shortsided and crazy imo.

Gallant intrigues me though

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I like the idea of Nelson but If we are talking about a mid season change I do not like the idea of forcing a change on Grand Rapids as well. Nelson and the Griffin's have a good thing going in the AHL. Throwing a new guy at our prospects when the current situation is working so well is shortsided and crazy imo.

Gallant intrigues me though

Mid season sure. But holland won't fire blash mid season if he does he's just going to put torch in because he rejuvenated the wild last year doing the same exact thing. I doubt we get gallant and we shouldn't

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
The team is lost, unmotivated and underperforming under blash. I don't think a coaching change would fix a ton but I'm for it after this year.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
He's not a bad coach. He has a flawed team with an aging core.

exactly.

i love how everyone's copout is the coach. We had "the leagues best coach" and barely made it. Now we have an inexperienced second year coach that has to use these polished turds.

Until Holland and most fans realize tatar and nyquist are not the guys we thought they were and moved some forwards out for better PMD, this team could have Scotty and it wouldnt barely make it to the playoff marker.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Systematically, what would you do differently?

The transition hockey game he and Cooper developed together over the years and got both coaches to the NHL doesn't work with our talent. I think that is why a lot of times we are unhappy with him correcting to Babcock hockey. He unfortunately hasn't found an answer that really cures all though he did the same job squeaking a team into the playoffs in his rookie season that Babcock had done previously.

We don't play Jeff Blashill's system, but rest assured it has worked at the NHL level, it took a team to the final four the last two years. Same system, very slight variations between how they have deployed it at all levels. It is unfortunate that Blashill took over the Hindenburg, I hope he gets another chance because he is a bright hockey mind in my opinion. We just don't have the pieces to play his tempo game, our back-end is too bad.

I don't think there is anything out there from a coaching perspective that changes our fate. Until something is done about the D-core this is what we are going to look like....

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Red Wings won't compromise defense to open up offensively

Scoring difficulties haven't prompted the Detroit Red Wings to tweak their system. They would rather not get overly aggressive offensively at the expense of their defensive play.

"The best offense comes from good defense," coach Jeff Blashill said. "I think the biggest thing is you have to be fast out of your zone, you have to be fast in the D-zone to make sure you're spending enough time (in the offensive zone). Then it comes down to winning battles.

"We want to create lots of rushes. We've been a pretty good rush team. That's how you open it up. We'd like to create lots of chances without giving up any rushes. I don't think the answer is to start giving up lots of chances. The answer is to continue to limit chances, but bear down a little more offensively."

The Red Wings have scored three goals during their four-game winless streak (0-3-1). They rank second-to-last in the NHL in goals per game (2.19), shots per game (28.1) and the power play (13.3 percent).

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._wont_compromise_defe.html#incart_river_index

Don't expect any changes.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Red Wings won't compromise defense to open up offensively

The best offense comes from good defense," coach Jeff Blashill said. "I think the biggest thing is you have to be fast out of your zone, you have to be fast in the D-zone to make sure you're spending enough time (in the offensive zone). Then it comes down to winning battles.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._wont_compromise_defe.html#incart_river_index

We will never be fast out of our zone with our group of defenseman. Ever.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We will never be fast out of our zone with our group of defenseman. Ever.

Problem with this too is you become Colorado. We have to bunker in and then we cannot use our transition horses by the time we do have the puck moving forward. Sitting back and absorbing pressure isn't something our bad transition D can do, because they aren't good at D either once you trap them. It is really a problem, since Kronwall's decline we just don't have enough to band-aid through it anymore.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The transition hockey game he and Cooper developed together over the years and got both coaches to the NHL doesn't work with our talent. I think that is why a lot of times we are unhappy with him correcting to Babcock hockey. He unfortunately hasn't found an answer that really cures all though he did the same job squeaking a team into the playoffs in his rookie season that Babcock had done previously.

We don't play Jeff Blashill's system, but rest assured it has worked at the NHL level, it took a team to the final four the last two years. Same system, very slight variations between how they have deployed it at all levels. It is unfortunate that Blashill took over the Hindenburg, I hope he gets another chance because he is a bright hockey mind in my opinion. We just don't have the pieces to play his tempo game, our back-end is too bad.

I don't think there is anything out there from a coaching perspective that changes our fate. Until something is done about the D-core this is what we are going to look like....

The Red Wings may not have the pieces to play wide open Jeff Blashill style of hockey, but that doesn't mean the Wings need to bench the only creative offensive players (Mantha, AA, Larkin, etc) every time they make a defensive mistake.

If you don't want to completely open it up, fine, but i'm sick of not being able to score goals while running out the likes of Sheahan and Glendening in the top 6, and benching Sproul for games on end...and then wondering whey we can't score any goals.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Do you actually believe it's a possibility Blashill is fired?

Fans are predicting he'll be gone by Janurary 1 (days before the winter classic...sure) or after the new year. It's nothing but HF fantasy talk- which is all this forum is in ways- a place to pleasure ourselves with hyperbole and baseless pipe-dream scenarios.

There is 0% chance Blashill is let go. After listening to Hollands interview yesterday there's also not a chance in the world Mike Green will be traded by the deadline. But hey, we're so bored why not toss around impossible dreams as freely as pizza boxes thrown into a JLA crowd.

HF should change its name to Hockey Fantasy.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Do you actually believe it's a possibility Blashill is fired?

Fans are predicting he'll be gone by Janurary 1 (days before the winter classic...sure) or after the new year. It's nothing but HF fantasy talk- which is all this forum is in ways- a place to pleasure ourselves with hyperbole and baseless pipe-dream scenarios.

There is 0% chance Blashill is let go. After listening to Hollands interview yesterday there's also not a chance in the world Mike Green will be traded by the deadline. But hey, we're so bored why not toss around impossible dreams as freely as pizza boxes thrown into a JLA crowd.

HF should change its name to Hockey Fantasy.

Sadly, I think you are exactly right. But, I also think that in his 1 2/3 seasons at the helm, it's proven that Blashill is not a NHL coach, not at this point, at least. I'm reminded of when Tony Granato was named coach of the Avs, I believe this is a similar situation.

If I were to respond to this now, I'd say Todd Nelson, mainly because he's been in this position before with Columbus. He's done well in GR, especially with the power play, he's good with younger players (something we thought Blash would be) and he can right the ship and care-take at least, and at best, he can do for us with Mike Sullivan did for the Penguins last year (not exactly, Sullivan had better ponies to ride in Pittsburgh, but you get the general idea).

Torchetti has become part of the problem, not the solution at this point, and while I thought Gallant might be the answer before, I don't think he quite matches what the Wings need now.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
John tortorella.

After next season When he wears out his welcome in CBJ.

Bring him in for a year or 2 to light a fire under these players *****.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
anyone who will consistently play the offensive players more than the "safe" players.

Riley Sheahan, on pace for a season of 0 goals, 12 points, and -30 is playing 14:30/game.....more than Tomas Tatar played last season (14:21/game) when he had a "bad" season with 21 goals/45 points in 81 games.

I hate this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad