Who would you want in free agency without killing our cap long term

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Let assume Provorov get 6.75 million on a bridge type of deal. Konecky has to get a raise. Say 4.5-5 million?Hartman going to get a raise but not a crazy one say 2-2.5 million? For the Ghost haters you can trade and deduct 6 million. So what are moves you want to realistically make. All in on Duchene OR Karlson? Another scorer in Skinner? A couple of moves like Hayes and Gardiner. Maybe you trust Frost at 3c and want Dzingel and d-man.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Let assume Provorov get 6.75 million on a bridge type of deal. Konecky has to get a raise. Say 4.5-5 million?Hartman going to get a raise but not a crazy one say 2-2.5 million? For the Ghost haters you can trade and deduct 6 million. So what are moves you want to realistically make. All in on Duchene OR Karlson? Another scorer in Skinner? A couple of moves like Hayes and Gardiner. Maybe you trust Frost at 3c and want Dzingel and d-man.

6.75 Million for a bridge deal seems like an awful lot. If Provy wants to get almost 7M, he should be signing for more in the 5-7 year range. You want a bridge, you get 4M

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hartman at 2 is more than fine. Also, forgot to add buying out a mac.
There first has to be evidence that they view MacDonald as a negative asset and there's been no indication that that is the case. Although only playing 9 minutes last night is nice

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Panarin of Karlsson should be the top target. Now, more than likely we won’t get both(almost surely) and chances are we won’t get either. That doesn’t mean they can’t be aggressive. Karlsson would be my first choice of course. If he hits UFA, every team in the league will be checking in.

If they miss out on them, go to the teams in cap problems. Tampa, Winnipeg, Toronto. Look at their younger players that are available. We have a ton of assets. It’s time to start turning them into NHL players. Top 4 defenseman and a top 6 forward.

If Macdonald is waived/traded/boughtout they will have anywhere between 36-40 million. That’s plenty to re-sign all the restricted free agents and add to this talented team.

I’m looking to extend Provorov and Sanheim to long term deals. 6 years min

Provorov - 8 years - 6.25 per year.
Sanheim - 6 years - 4.25 per year.

That’s creates an enormous amounts of flexibility with our cap.

Branko

Jul 5, 2011
I think they want to sign a big name this summer and will make a hard push for Panarin or Karlsson. Think EK stays in SJ so I imagine they will gladly open that check book for Panarin.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
There first has to be evidence that they view MacDonald as a negative asset and there's been no indication that that is the case. Although only playing 9 minutes last night is nice

His icetime has really declined over the past month. I think they may actually be at the point where they either buy him out, send him down, or try to trade him with some retention.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Panarin would be my first choice, though im not sure how i'd work the lineup with him here. I suppose we could keep G-Couturier-Konecny and do a Panarin - Patrick - Voracek thing , but a 7 million dollar 3rd liner in JVR seems silly too.

An actual offensive weapon like Panarin would be my first choice. After that, Probably Karlsson and then Duchene, in that order.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I imagine one of Skinner, Panarin, Duchene will be brought in...at least thatll be the intent.

I dont know about the D. Bringing in a solid top 4 guy makes sense...but I have a hard time choosing which young D gets replaced. Part of me wants to bring in someone like EK, part of me wants to see what a unit of Provy, Ghost, Myers, Sanheim, Morin, and Gudas can do.

Panarin- Giroux-Konecny
Lindblom-Coots-Voracek
Jvr-Patrick-Frost
Raffl-Laughton-Hartman

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers
Hagg

Hart
Talbot

Id be pretty ok with that.

The biggest decision for Fletcher is the coach.

Reactions: tucson83

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I think they want to sign a big name this summer and will make a hard push for Panarin or Karlsson. Think EK stays in SJ so I imagine they will gladly open that check book for Panarin.

For me, you go all out for either of these guys because they're special players but if you can't land them then you stand pat, because while there is some serious talent on the market, there's nobody else out there that it'd be worth it to shell out a cap-killing UFA contract. I'd rather give the young guys their deals (please sign Sanheim for 8 years now - 5 per ought to do it, right?) and keep the cap flexibility for a big fish.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Panarin would be my first choice, though im not sure how i'd work the lineup with him here. I suppose we could keep G-Couturier-Konecny and do a Panarin - Patrick - Voracek thing , but a 7 million dollar 3rd liner in JVR seems silly too.

An actual offensive weapon like Panarin would be my first choice. After that, Probably Karlsson and then Duchene, in that order.

Pittsburgh has had an 8M 3rd liner for a few years and it worked really well.

Having 3 really really really good lines makes matchups impossible. This should be the goal for the Flyers

Reactions: BernieParent

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
His icetime has really declined over the past month. I think they may actually be at the point where they either buy him out, send him down, or try to trade him with some retention.
Hopefully there's a way to get he and (more likely) Schlemko to Ottawa. They're going to need tenured veteran bodies next season.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Im on board with it, but JVR isnt the player Kessel is, either. JVR doesnt drive a line like Kessel can.

I think that's actually JVR's best spot in the line-up. 3rd line against easier competition but with PP1 time to take advantage of his ridiculous hands. He's a role player, a bit of a pricey one, but a valuable one when played correctly.

Reactions: Starat327

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Hopefully there's a way to get he and (more likely) Schlemko to Ottawa. They're going to need tenured veteran bodies next season.

I think we end up keeping Schlemko around next year as the vet call-up that won't get claimed on waivers in case there's a rash of injuries. I actually think MacDonald to Ottawa with 50% retention makes a lot of sense for both sides.

Reactions: BernieParent

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think that's actually JVR's best spot in the line-up. 3rd line against easier competition but with PP1 time to take advantage of his ridiculous hands. He's a role player, a bit of a pricey one, but a valuable one when played correctly.

I dont necessarily disagree, but i just dislike the idea of his pricetag being that low in the lineup. Not a huge deal since weve got plenty of cap, its just a mental block kinda thing.

In this make believe scenario he'd likely be playing with Frost - Hartman as well, and im not sure i like Frost having to cover for JVRs defensive inabilities as well.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The problem is, and I'm a little guilty, 7MM is the rate for 30 goal scorers. The top guys get 12MM now. That's a huge difference in the top guys and the middle guys. JVR is the middle guy goal scorer and those guys are gonna get 5-8M a year now.

Giroux and Voracek are almost very cost effective at this point.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad