landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Mark Stone
giphy.gif

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
The problem is, and I'm a little guilty, 7MM is the rate for 30 goal scorers. The top guys get 12MM now. That's a huge difference in the top guys and the middle guys. JVR is the middle guy goal scorer and those guys are gonna get 5-8M a year now.

Giroux and Voracek are almost very cost effective at this point.

I think you're right, but I don't think anyone is signing a 25+ goal scorer for 5M anymore. Going forward a 2nd line goal scorer like JvR ceiling is 7M AAV.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Erik Karlsson wants to sign here for 12 million.

Do you trade Ghost? Or keep the dynamic duo?

Largely depends on the return for Ghost. His contract makes him valuable, so if i'm not getting an impact player back (or multiple firsts, to funnel in cheap ELC talent after signing Karlsson to 12), no.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
1) For the Karlsson fans I would guess at a min you are talking 6 years at 10 m a year and the way he has played this year, it sure feels like you would get torched the last 2 years of the deal (minimum). For those who see Provy signing 8 years at 6.75 I just don't see him signing that low. You watch a Gardiner in free agency get 7.5 a year and Gardiner can't carry Provy's strap.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt the Flyers go after a big money FA, Panarin seems headed to Fla and EK wants to stay on the West Coast, and too many bidders.

Lindblom is taking the next step, you have JVR as your 3LW, it's not like we're hurting for LW scoring, with Farabee and Ratcliffe on the way.
If Hartman is for real RW isn't an urgent need anymore, and Frost should fill 3C. That allows Allison/Laczynski to marinate for a year in LHV.
So maybe the best acquisition would be a veteran 4C between Laughton and NAK.

The one glaring need is a veteran RHD to pair with Provorov, then you can put Sanheim - Myers and Ghost-Gudas or Morin - Ghost.
Gudas is a solid D-man, but simply not skilled enough for the top four unless his LW is Ghost or Sanheim.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Erik Karlsson wants to sign here for 12 million.

Do you trade Ghost? Or keep the dynamic duo?

If Ghost is not your no 1 d-man on the power play then you absolutely trade. Also thinking If you add Karlson salary and raises to Provy, Konecky, Hartman then you probably have to dump salary somewhere and Ghost is the player you can trade to make it happen (sorry amac salary isn't being traded). At best being bought out..

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
1) For the Karlsson fans I would guess at a min you are talking 6 years at 10 m a year and the way he has played this year, it sure feels like you would get torched the last 2 years of the deal (minimum). For those who see Provy signing 8 years at 6.75 I just don't see him signing that low. You watch a Gardiner in free agency get 7.5 a year and Gardiner can't carry Provy's strap.
Karlsson is going to get over 11 million per probably for the full 7 if he hits UFA.

Also, there’s a huge difference between UFA and RFA with gardiner and Provorov. That needs to be taken into account.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

This article has a list of comparables:

What will Ivan Provorov’s next contract look like?

Somewhere between Slavin's 8 years at $5.3M and Ekblad's $7.5M
Or if for 6 years, $5-5.5M or so.

Provorov has 4 RFA seasons left, so you can't compare him to true free agents, and "overpays" don't set the market, they constrain it (fool me once . . . )

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Gardiner is also a UFA, while Provorov is a RFA. Provorov's deal if long term would probably be right around 7. He doesnt really have the leverage to ask for too much more at this point.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Flyers, IMHO are O-N-E good defensive Dman away from a very serious run @ Lord Stanley.
I'd definitely try to sign Karlsson…..what he would teach guys like Sanheim and Provy is immeasurable .
The way he slows the game down..... :eek:
And yes I'd trade Ghost for the right return.....gotta be good at stopping goals against before you can run up scores.
GREAT expectations for next year !! :nod:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If the Flyers were able to move either JVR or Voracek in a deal to obtain a top pair defenseman, I'd push to sign Skinner or Duchene to fill that spot. However as we saw last summer with Statsny, what you'd like to get doesn't always work out that way. Panarin to FLA seems like a lock. EK wants to play on the left coast. Look for SJ and both LAK and ANA to make a move for him. So I'd scratch them off the FA availability list.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Ok everyone, where is the “Erik Karlsson prefers the west coast” narrative coming from? There is nothing supporting this?

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Definitely make competitive offers to Panarin and Karlsson. The cap problems down the road would only be created by young players meeting expectations which is fine because you can solve those issues with trades. They don't have a Lucic-type problem (crossing fingers with Van Riemsdyk) and duds like MacDonald will be gone soon. Stop wasting prime Giroux!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Karlsson has been fantastic this year. If you're worried about the tail end of his deal, fine, but he's still an All World guy today.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Either go after EK or Panarin, make a trade to bring in a legit star, or stand pat. I don't want Skinner or Duchene, both are fine players, but we need top end talent. Stone was the guy I wanted.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's basically EK or bust this offseason.
EK and Panarin are the only FAs worthy of a 7 year deal.
Staal (35), and Zucarello (31) would be good adds on a short-term deal. Think Zuc will get too many years, too much money.

Duchene would scare me on a big contract, having a career year in his contract year - but to me is a 2C, not exactly a pressing need.
Eberle, which player do you get, the inflated 49 ES points last year or the 17 ES points this year?

Edler is a LHD, so he doesn't fit a need
Tyler Myers is a good fit, but is he really the top four RHD to stabilize this defense?
Stralman will be 33, undersized and having an off season, at the right price?

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
People are aware Ghost makes $4.5 mil and not $8 mil, right? There's no scenario, even with EK, where he does not exceed his cost value. It's just a question of how much he exceeds it. And you can get creative with both of them on the PP, along with Provorov of course.

The team that traded for EK has, at this point in time, the best offensive d-man in the league.......and they're the same handedness too. It doesn't have to be a zero sum game with scoring, as long as you have a plan and think outside the box.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Since Stone isn't an option anymore and Panarin seems unlikely, my prime targets would be Duchene or Skinner.

Duchene would give us amazing center depth while adding a dynamic forward that can produce and create.
Skinner I would go after if we plan on moving Giroux back to center.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Tbh Duchene, Panarin, and EK are the only ones worth going for. Because of that, they'll command mammoth contracts that I'm not sure will be worth it (outside of Panarin who's the biggest longshot).

I say keep the cap space and make a trade instead.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Go after EK or Panarin. Don't overspend and go 7 years on second tier players having career years or who are supporting complimentary players. There's diminishing returns, along with less long-term flexibility. This isn't the last free agency cycle, and the cap space isn't burning a hole.

If you strike out on both, go big game RFA hunting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->