Who would you start in net for the Leafs in game 2?

Who would you start in game 2?

• Samsonov

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Woll

Votes: 43 50.0%
  • Jones

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Murray

Votes: 15 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I think you need to ride Sammy. I really didn’t think he had that bad a game. He was screened on two goals, on which Holmberg needs to block, and another was a 2-1, and the other was a tap-in in front of the net. Our other goalies wont be any better. We need to play better as a team and hope he dials in. He is the only goalie we have that is capable of stealing games.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Unfortunately you gotta go with Samsonov again. If he has another subpar game, I then turn to Woll for game 3.

Either way, goaltending needs to be addressed this off-season.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I voted Samsonov only because I don't feel Woll is any better at this moment.

If Samsonov does not start, may as well dress Jones as the backup cause he's officially done.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I know I'm going against the trend here, but I say Samsonov.

Not that I have much faith in him but I instead look at the worst case: If Woll bombs in game 2 (which is entirely possible given he hasn't been great himself lately either), then what? Jones is not a realistic option.

Keefe himself didn't put the loss on Sammy so to turn around and switch now yells desperation and would rightly lead Samsonov to complain loudly. "If it wasn't my fault, why the **** are you pulling me?"

And if he loses game 2 - even if he's not really to blame, then come back home and put Woll in. It's desperation time so fully justified. Maybe at home the team rallies around him, wins game 3 and we're back in it.

That, in itself is very concerning, because samsonov is a big part of the reason we lost that game. Gotta hope he’s just protecting Samsonov because he’s proven to be mentally fragile and that he doesn’t actually believe that and won’t let his comment stop him from doing whatever is best for the team.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'd go with Sammy again and give him a chance to get on a roll. We got blown out in game 1 against Tampa Bay last year as well.

Woll has not inspired any confidence since he returned to the lineup.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Seeing 10 games of playoff Samsonov has been more than enough for me.

Dude is just way too chaotic. The completely opposite of a calming presence and what we were up against last night.
Vancouver fans have called Tyler Myers the Chaos Giraffe; Samsonov is basically the goaltending equivalent.

Mar 26, 2010
Post injury Woll is no better than Sammy. He’s a false hope.

I’d be interested in throwing a wild card Murray out there just for the spectacle of it.
I agree with this. Woll has been worse than Samsonov.

Throw Murray in and see what happens.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
David Ayres is in Port Perry, plenty close enough to get him to Pearson and onto a plane.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What's curious is if they're seriously considering Woll, whether its better to try him in game 2, or wait until game 3.

If they start him in game 2 and he flops they run the risk of putting extra pressure on Sammy to try and regain composure for game 3.

Imo, Sammy game 2, Woll game 3, and then if neither guy works, toss up between Jones and Murray for what's left of the series

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
I know he didn't play that well, but I don't think he was to blame, the defence wasn't good at all. But he did look like he was back to his old ways of swimming around the net and being chaotic.

You have to start Samsonov again and if he loses again or doesn't step it up. I would rather put Jones in but if you're keeping Woll for the future you need to let him play and give him the playoff experience so I would put in Woll for game 3.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
It has to be Sammy and it will be Sammy
There's no getting around it

But he should have a short leash. Keefe should have started Woll in the third to send a message and get his legs going and send a message to the team

But now that opportunity has pass, it has to be Sammy. For better or for worse

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Samsonov. It’s all mental with this guy. If we put in Woll and he sucks, Sammy will have no confidence and we’re screwed.

Give him another chance in game 2, and if he flounders then put in Woll going back home.

Reactions: wingman75

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'd go with Sammy again and give him a chance to get on a roll. We got blown out in game 1 against Tampa Bay last year as well.

Woll has not inspired any confidence since he returned to the lineup.

To be fair to Woll the last game he played we were outshot 30-3 in 1 period

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad