Who would you rather have in their primes? Sakic-Forsberg or MacKinnon-Makar?

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
All generational , all different qualities, all will be possible HOF'ers, all will have their numbers in the rafters.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Need to see the full career's of Mack and Makar to answer this.

That's why I'm not particularly fond of these type of threads. You better believe their accomplishments and accolades plays a factor in this decision. In a few years, we could be completely flipping the script if our current guys amount to anything.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The pens had Letang for their entire stretch. I've always been a fan of well balanced teams, look at Toronto or Edmonton for examples of poor defense crippling an offensive juggernaut. The Blues won because they finally got a ROR playing like an elite 1C and Binnington had a miracle year to add to Pietro on the blue line.

IMO a team needs to have a 1C, 1D, and a 1ish goaltender to realistically shoot for a cup. It's the reason Vegas is never going to win a cup with the current aging core they have, they lack the biggest of the three required pieces, though I'd argue Lehner is one step back from them lacking two.

Yet hasn't this core been tossed in the second round three years in a row with a 1C, 1RW, 1D and a Vezina candidate in goal. I mean seriously, you have to have a second line to win a cup. You can NOT win with just one line...no matter how damn good it is.

This whole thread is apples to oranges though. One team had a cap. One team was able to stack its roster with HOF players. I still argue that the core of the late 90s early 00s is better than our current core because it was more balanced up and down the lineup.

Reactions: henchman21

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Joe allows ice cream
Joe also knows hockey.

He's shown he knew how to end his career with style when it came time....He threw his back out shoveling snow because he's too big of a tight-wad with his own money to throw a few bucks at a neighbor's kid to do it for him. Then, when he was just about to cleared to play again, he stuck his dick-skinner into the operating end of his snow-blower to go back on IR for the rest of the season. Retired that summer.

Shortly after retiring he got back to work slowly honing himself into the mad-man that has traded and drafted his way to this f***ing ridiculous team. Yeah, it's got flaws and all, and it might not win a cup with this core. Or it could win three. Either way is fine with me, because the hockey we've watched the last three years has been so damn fun all year long. After that decade+ of suck, this is just about as good as it gets. Considering only 1 in 32 can win a cup, we need to be thankful for what get. I'll still bitch about only having one line because we refuse to break the big three all the time but don't get me wrong. I'm still a fan of the team. Just have one big difference of opinion with the HC on one topic.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd pick Peter Forsberg & Sandis Ozolinsh over Mack & Cale. And I'm not joking.

Ozo would dominate this era too.

With how reliant teams are to have speedy D men transition out of the D zone, and how many teams are employing the wrist shots from the blue line for screens, tips, and rebounds, defenseman pick up a lot more points than they used to.

Defenseman are pushed to be much more involved in the play now than when Ozo played, and the last three years the NHL has been right around 3.00 goals per game.

In 96-97 the NHL averaged 2.92 goals per game at the start of the "dead puck era" and Ozo had 23 goals and 68 points. Then had 17 points in 17 playoff games. In 97-98 when the NHL averaged 2.64 goals per game, Ozo had 13 goals and 51 points in 66 games.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ozo would dominate this era too.

With how reliant teams are to have speedy D men transition out of the D zone, and how many teams are employing the wrist shots from the blue line for screens, tips, and rebounds, defenseman pick up a lot more points than they used to.

Defenseman are pushed to be much more involved in the play now than when Ozo played, and the last three years the NHL has been right around 3.00 goals per game.

In 96-97 the NHL averaged 2.92 goals per game at the start of the "dead puck era" and Ozo had 23 goals and 68 points. Then had 17 points in 17 playoff games. In 97-98 when the NHL averaged 2.64 goals per game, Ozo had 13 goals and 51 points in 66 games.
The one thing I forget about Ozo was that he was a big guy. Nobody was pushing that dude around.

Reactions: Foppa2118

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Hard to compare when one pair are done with their careers and the other pair has one who has entered his prime and the other is 2 seasons in. That said, I take Sakic and Foppa now. One was one of the best pure snipers/captains in the nhl and the other was extremely dominant and is a member of the triple gold club twice.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If you could put prime Sakic, Forsberg, and Sakic in today’s NHL where you could actually pass it up the ice without having to worry about the goddamned red line and couldn’t literally tackle players, they’d rule the league for many, many years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If you could put prime Sakic, Forsberg, and Sakic in today’s NHL where you could actually pass it up the ice without having to worry about the goddamned red line and couldn’t literally tackle players, they’d rule the league for many, many years.

Foppa would dominate, but he'd be suspended 5-10 games a season. :laugh:

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
But he'd also be injured a little less so it'd be worth it.
the-office-win-win.gif

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad