Who would you rather have in their primes? Sakic-Forsberg or MacKinnon-Makar?

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Really? I'm surprised since Mac has been in the conversation as #1 or at least #2 in the league. Makar is in the same conversation for dmen.

Neither Sakic or Forsberg have ever been top 3 in the league even though they are great players.

Um..correct me if I'm wrong but both Sakic and Forsberg won Hart trophy's before. Forsberg has has an Art Ross for most points in the season and Sakic was runner up to Jagr one year.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
I will go as far as saying in order to win a cup Macdaddy needs another 1B center like Joe and foppa combo mo than he needs a makar type player

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Hard to compare given one era had unlimited salary and the other doesn’t. Would Sakic and Forsberg have been as productive in a salary cap era? Would they have been able to field the roster of support players they had? Not to mention one of the greatest goalies of all time in net. Don’t get me wrong Foppa and Joe are two of the best centers to ever play the game but I find the comparison itself challenging, its not apples to apples. It’s also difficult given Makar is really just starting his career and Mac is just approaching half way thru. They could win multiple cups in the near future / before they retire which I think has a heavy influence on the comparison.

Reactions: Vk1ing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Really? I'm surprised since Mac has been in the conversation as #1 or at least #2 in the league. Makar is in the same conversation for dmen.

Neither Sakic or Forsberg have ever been top 3 in the league even though they are great players.
Uhhh what? Sakic and Forsberg both won
Harts and have far more impressive individual hardware than Mack does and most likely ever will.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Only when you already have a 1D, which the golden year Avs did.

I’d take 1C & 1D over two 1C in a vacuum anyday.
Man I don’t know. C has always been the most important position and if you have 2 C’s that are good enough you can drag around just about any D core. Such as the Pens that won B2B.

Reactions: jabubenice

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'll let you know when I know what MacKinnon and Makar have accomplished in their prime. As of now, of course, it's Sakic/Foppa. Kind of unfair to ask at this point.

Reactions: jabubenice

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Sakic-Forsberg.

MacKinnon and Makar are in the same skill tier, but I still give the edge to 19 & 21. The body of work edge goes without saying - you pretty much can't find a single bad season in either of the historic careers of Forsberg or Sakic.

Sakic scored 62 points as a 19-year-old rookie. 1,427 points later, he scored 100 points as a 37 year old veteran. Insane consistency.

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
Uhhh what? Sakic and Forsberg both won
Harts and have far more impressive individual hardware than Mack does and most likely ever will.

Corey Perry and Henrik Sedin also won Hart trophies. They were never in the conversation of best player in the NHL. Just had a good season. Would you have picked Henrik over Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos in 2010?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Both players won Hart trophies and Forsberg was considered by many to be the best player in the NHL for the few years around his Hart season.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
its really not even close and considering how soft the league is now in comparison. Imagine what a healthy foppa would do in todays league. It would be like lebron playing in the wnba (joking joking)

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Hard to compare given one era had unlimited salary and the other doesn’t. Would Sakic and Forsberg have been as productive in a salary cap era? Would they have been able to field the roster of support players they had? Not to mention one of the greatest goalies of all time in net. Don’t get me wrong Foppa and Joe are two of the best centers to ever play the game but I find the comparison itself challenging, its not apples to apples. It’s also difficult given Makar is really just starting his career and Mac is just approaching half way thru. They could win multiple cups in the near future / before they retire which I think has a heavy influence on the comparison.
Sakic and Forsberg would show up in our most important games and will our team apast the second round

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
the league was already very physical back then and was ten times more physical in the playoffs and foppa dominated. Macdaddy struggles when targeted physically like that (see vegas series) were as foppa and sakic faced way way worse and still thrived... u jus cant compare...

Reactions: avsfan9

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Both players won Hart trophies and Forsberg was considered by many to be the best player in the NHL for the few years around his Hart season.
Health aside Forsberg was absolutely the best if not in contention for the best player in the league from like 02-06. As for Sakic he was most definitely in the conversation most of his career? I mean I think Mackinnon is in just as muddy waters for 2nd best player(which I’m not sure that he is) in the league as Sakic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad