Who would you pair Rielly with next year?

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
So our prized defenceman, who should he be paired with next season? I'd try to find a UFA right-handed veteran dman for cheap (any suggestions?). Definitely don't want him paired with a rookie or someone from the Marlies. Keep in mind he naturally plays left, although it doesn't seem like he would be opposed to playing on the right side.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Boyle, Dan

Just checked capgeek, will he cost $6M in FA? I think that'd only be possible if we find a taker for Gleason. I guess it could always be Gleason again...but for some reason I don't particularly like that pairing.

Dion. Our best two dmen. Might as well supplant Dion whilst playing with him.

True, I'm kinda under the slight impression he might be gone though. If not, I can see our three pairings as:

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
Gleason - xxx
Ranger

Side question: How big of a challenge is it to play the opposite side? Gardiner was apparently having trouble playing the right side a while ago.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If Nonis can manage to pull off a trade for a top 4 defenseman this summer i'd like to see a Gunnarsson - Rielly pairing.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'd play him with Gardiner. Hopefully Phaneuf won't be here, besides he is much too slow to play with Rielly.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Just checked capgeek, will he cost $6M in FA? I think that'd only be possible if we find a taker for Gleason. I guess it could always be Gleason again...but for some reason I don't particularly like that pairing.

True, I'm kinda under the slight impression he might be gone though. If not, I can see our three pairings as:

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
Gleason - xxx
Ranger

Side question: How big of a challenge is it to play the opposite side? Gardiner was apparently having trouble playing the right side a while ago.

Neither Gunnar or Gardiner can play the right side. FYI Phaneuf would probably play a lot better on his proper side.

I say play Rielly on the top pairing, but I also want the Leafs to be in the running for McDavid.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Gunnarsson or a right handed shut down guy.

And who might this right handed shut down guy be?

Duncan Keith.

Only in our dreams :(

I'd play him with Gardiner. Hopefully Phaneuf won't be here, besides he is much too slow to play with Rielly.

That's pretty interesting too, but wouldn't that make our other pairings pretty slow? I'm the type that likes to spread out the speed so you have 2-3 even pairs compared to 1 great pair and 2 weaker ones.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Granberg. Put him on the third pairing/first PP, play him with young guys like Leivo against weak opposition and give him the green light all year.

He is still only 20 next year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Pretty hard to say right now since I think we'll see a big shakeup this off-season.

Honestly, at this point I'm absolutely fine with a one year shakeup. Get rid of some of the core, get some guys who can fill in for the moment in the tough spots, make sure to put young players in a position to succeed regardless of team success and just suck through the year.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Anyone but the pylon.

dion_phaneuf___the_pylon_by_simon_buckroyd_by_binoched-d7c4cfx.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad