Who would you have wanted Benning to pay more for forward help?

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Absolutely not! There are no game breaking forwards available and the money thrown around today was disgusting. There are already a few buy out candidates today around the league who haven't even played a single game for their new clubs. Iwould have puked if the Canucks were attached to any one of the deals signed today.

People need to get with reality and understand that none of the players who were available via UFA today would have changed our chances. There were no game game breaking players or franchise type players. This team is not anywhere close to being able to compete with the top teams in the league, signings today or not.

The value of having a guy like Vanek who pushes 3 of our other players down a line and finally gives the Sedins a top line winger to play with would be immense, especially compared to the difference between Lack and Miller in net.

If we are going to try to be competitive, Vanek makes a lot more sense than Miller.

Iridescent*

He said he was sure. As in he wouldn't be surprised. As I wouldn't be surprised either. Seems like something the Aquamen would do to get more buts in seats. Iggy wouldn't have gotten us any closer to the playoffs. This team is going to have a cpl of hard seasons for us fans to have to live through.

Iggy would have put butts in seats. I'd go to a few games solely to see Iginla in a Canucks uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kip96

Feb 8, 2010
West Coast
The value of having a guy like Vanek who pushes 3 of our other players down a line and finally gives the Sedins a top line winger to play with would be immense, especially compared to the difference between Lack and Miller in net.

If we are going to try to be competitive, Vanek makes a lot more sense than Miller.

Vanek was only signing is Minnesota where he lives

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
He said he was sure. As in he wouldn't be surprised. As I wouldn't be surprised either. Seems like something the Aquamen would do to get more buts in seats. Iggy wouldn't have gotten us any closer to the playoffs. This team is going to have a cpl of hard seasons for us fans to have to live through.

Possibly and I agree it could get ugly before it gets any better. Did you cancel your tickets?

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
It is day 1 of free agency and many teams over paid today I am thinking Benning is watching teams against the cap as well as the available ufa list .
I do believe the Canucks will have made a few more moves by the time training camp opens .
Yes.Its day 1 of the ufa,s still lots of time.Trades can be made,and im sure we have a few more players comming in.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Only Perreault signed so far but you would have outbid 3 years at $3 million per?

he signed in winnipeg so i think 3x3 is probably what it would have taken. and yes, id have done 3x4 or 3.5x3 or 2.5x5 if it really came down to it.

remember that hes only 26 and turns 27 next year. also note that he doesnt have an ntc. basically the perfect value signing

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail

Maybe, except if the Canucks make the playoffs, but would you have given him 3 years and $7 million per?

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Sorry, I was just saying that as my opinion. Not an actual source. If we were willing to give miller 6 mill, I think it makes sense that they'd give a bit more to iggy.

Okey-dokey. You think Iginla would turn down $3.6 million over the 3 years NOT to play for the Canucks? That's a lot of money. $3.6 million.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the canucks shouldnt be signing players to be competitive, they should be signing players that can do good things as a showcase to flip them for assets if things go bad, or use in trades to get great assets if things are going well. UFA shouldnt be looked at as adding the right spices to a stew, it should be looked at as storing valuable items in a bank vault. you sign free agents to increase team value, and then use those assets to return value that more closely resembles the long-term plan that presents itself as the year goes on.

vaneks a bad choice but iginla is awesome because they could flip him at the deadline for a free pick if the signing was done right

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
It's an overpayment but yes, he actually addresses a need and would be good for our younger players

I can understand someone looking at it that way. No that I would do it but I understand. You're also the only person so far to actually offer to outbid one of the contracts today.

LolClarkson*

Grabo or Vrbata both solid additions to the top 6 either would be helpful

:cry::cry::cry: I think we can all agree on this. Throw Roy in there too.

But we have a GM who see's only 2 things
meat-loaf-ck-405638-l.jpg

The margin for error when you go with this ^ is tighter. Those Boston teams always almost lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
It depends on whether term was a determining factor or not, and how much you would have to overpay for shorter term.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
My #1 target was Stastny. Assuming we're not rebuilding (which we are not), I would have loved to sign him for 7m x 4. Then I'd sign Iginla for around 5m for 2 or 3 years. And then try to get Ehrhoff. And if that all works out, I'd sign Miller or Hiller.

Daniel Henrik Iginla
Burrows Stasny Kassian
Higgins Santorelli Jensen
Richardsson Bonino Hansen

Edler Ehrhoff
Hamhuis Bieksa
Stanton Tanev

Lack
Miller

That is a pretty damn good team. With experience, skill, very good center depth, youth, and vets. And all the ages are staggered - so when Hamhuis and Bieksa get old, Edler and Ehrhoff can take their place. When they get old, Tanev and Stanton can take their place.

Same thing for the forwards. Sedins, Burrows, Higgins are 31-33. Stastny, Bonino, Santorelli, Hansen are 26-28. Jensen and Kassian are 21-23. Horvat, Shinkaruk and Virtanen are waiting in the wings.

But alas, 'tis not to be.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
The only FA I'm bummed we didn't get is Iginla, but I'm sure our offer was competitive and it just came down to best fit for him.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
I'm in agreement with the few who were intrigued with seeing Iggy in a Vancouver uniform. That being said, I think this team needs to give some of it's younger players the chance to play. The last thing we needed today was a Florida situation where we signed six guys (all at overpayments), only to find that half or more of them weren't the better option, than what we already had. Back to the topic at hand, however....I'm a little bummed that Iginla isn't going to be on a cup contender. If he wasn't going to choose the Canucks, I thought it would be to play in Chicago, or St. Louis. The Avs, while being an exciting young team, simply aren't ready to be a legitimate cup threat yet. Hopefully by the end of his term there (when they really are contending) Iggy still has it in him to be a regular in that lineup. We all want to see Iggy get his cup, but if that's going to happen from the press box, it would kind throw a damper on things.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
the canucks shouldnt be signing players to be competitive, they should be signing players that can do good things as a showcase to flip them for assets if things go bad, or use in trades to get great assets if things are going well. UFA shouldnt be looked at as adding the right spices to a stew, it should be looked at as storing valuable items in a bank vault. you sign free agents to increase team value, and then use those assets to return value that more closely resembles the long-term plan that presents itself as the year goes on.

vaneks a bad choice but iginla is awesome because they could flip him at the deadline for a free pick if the signing was done right

Sounds wonderful, but why would a UFA whose main wish is to win a cup come to Vancouver to be flipped at the deadline? (do you seriously think he wouldn't have a NMC?). Miller had his shot in St. Louis and no one is going to go looking for him again to win them the cup - hence he's willing to take high $ on a short-medium term knowing that he's there to hold the fort while Lack develops. Iginla was never a realistic option for the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad