Proposal: Who would you go get?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I see. I guess cap space at the expense of a 2nd rder and Sheahan isn't really worth it to me. Plus I'd be more willing to free up cap space if I didn't see it spent on things like overpaying Darren Helm and signing Steve Ott.

And a capable backup that allows Mrazek to shine.

I mean, the Helm and Ott signings have happened; they are what they are, so we need to look forward. If not Sheahan, maybe Tatar, but it's going to take a decent pot-sweetener for Carolina to even think about it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And a capable backup that allows Mrazek to shine.

I mean, the Helm and Ott signings have happened; they are what they are, so we need to look forward. If not Sheahan, maybe Tatar, but it's going to take a decent pot-sweetener for Carolina to even think about it.

If that is the cost, how is that worth it?

We are effectively trading Tatar or Sheahan for a backup goalie and 2.75 million dollars of cap space, with a contract that ends 1 year sooner than Howard's. You don't think those guys are worth more than that?

Seems like giving a lot to get a little to me. I'd look at trying to trade Jimmy and retain some salary, or a number of other options to free up cap space before I would trade a young forward like Tatar or Sheahan to free up less than 3 million in cap.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
If that is the cost, how is that worth it?

We are effectively trading Tatar or Sheahan for a backup goalie and 2.75 million dollars of cap space, with a contract that ends 1 year sooner than Howard's. You don't think those guys are worth more than that?

Seems like giving a lot to get a little to me. I'd look at trying to trade Jimmy and retain some salary, or a number of other options to free up cap space before I would trade a young forward like Tatar or Sheahan to free up less than 3 million in cap.

The problem, as I see it, is two-fold: First is the glut of forwards. If you want AA on the team, someone else has to go. If you want Mantha on the team, someone else has to go.

Second, you have to give to get, and Carolina won't likely accept just retaining on Howard in order to help out Detroit. They're going to want something of value. Who else would you be willing to give up?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The problem, as I see it, is two-fold: First is the glut of forwards. If you want AA on the team, someone else has to go. If you want Mantha on the team, someone else has to go.

Second, you have to give to get, and Carolina won't likely accept just retaining on Howard in order to help out Detroit. They're going to want something of value. Who else would you be willing to give up?

I guess I'm just not concerned with freeing up 2.75 in cap space right now.

Unless I know I need that cap space for another trade I have lined up for a defenseman. Then I might look at a trade like this.

I mean, sorry to beat a dead horse, if I wanted some cap space I let Helm walk in free agency. There's 3.85 of space to leave open to make a trade.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
I guess I'm just not concerned with freeing up 2.75 in cap space right now.

Unless I know I need that cap space for another trade I have lined up for a defenseman. Then I might look at a trade like this.

I mean, sorry to beat a dead horse, if I wanted some cap space I let Helm walk in free agency. There's 3.85 of space to leave open to make a trade.

Well it obviously allows for the ability to make another move, preferably for a defenseman. I mean, I wouldn't want the space just to sit there, especially when there's a glaring need to be addressed.

As far as Helm goes, you're right, and I can't begin to understand what the reasoning was behind that signing. However, that's already done, so any plans moving forward have to take that into account. We can't just wish it away, no matter how much we want to.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Sheahan and Tatar for just Fowler is far too much to give up.

In reality i doubt that Bob Murray would want this deal, After Murray resigns Lindholm and Rakell he will be tight up against the budget and having an internal cap hurts them quite a bit. Murray would probably want Tatar+Mantha at least for Fowler and that would be over payment by Holland without another significant piece coming back from Anaheim. I doubt that Murray can afford both Tatar and Sheahan without sending us another piece as well.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Fowler deal maybe works. No idea what the Ducks are thinking at this moment. Depends if they value Tatar.

Shattenkirk will cost more than that. Same with Trouba. Other teams would outbid those offers with higher quality pieces, rather than the quantity the Wings have.

The Shattenkirk proposal was actually from a Blues fan. But i agree that any team would beat this deal. One rumor was Krejci for an extended Shattenkirk and obviously that would beat this deal. Supposedly there was a Hall for Shattenkirk deal at the draft but he didn't want to sign long term with Edmonton. So Chiarelli did the Hall for Larsson deal instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad