Who Would You Draft First Overall?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
He's statistically better than all of those players, points wise and he also is a work horse! I would take him over all those players and I don't really see why any of you wouldn't??

Perfectly encapsulates what I came to post.

I'm really not even being a Leaf homer right now.

Marner.

mikebel111*

to me its a toss up between Mitch and Nathan

I love the way Nathan plays, but would I take him over Marner 1st overall?

After long thought, I would take Marner but that's tough for me to decide

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Total Goals scored in the OHL 2009-2010, 4727 or 3.48 GF/Game/per team.

Total Goals scored in the OHL 2014-2015, 4766 or 3.50 GF/Game/per team.

(may missed a number here or there)

So in total there is a 39 goals increase or 0.02 GF increase from 2009-2010 to 2014-2015. Not a big deal, and it is impressive that Seguin and Hall were the only players to score a hundred. But if you check the top 20 or even top 40 scorers from this year, it was very top heavy that even out when you go down the list. Point is, Marner still had a impressive year that is comparable to other 1st OA players but the question is really does he project similar to first OA players or not?

maybe I'm wrong then I've read pretty much all season how the OHL scoring is up, maybe it was a little more top heavy in terms of better teams vs weaker teams at the bottom who knows.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
not really because imo those 2 RNH, and Yakupov are not first overall calibre players there just happened to be a really weak year with no high end prospects. and the last 10 years first overalls are Ekblad, Mackinnon, Yakupov, RNH, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, Johnson, Crosby, Ovechkin. alot will point to EJ because he hasn't come close to fulfilling his potential after missing his entire 18 year old season due to injuries but he was scene as a franchise Dmen and went above alot of great prospects like Toews/Backstrom and Kessel. you could maybe debate Ekblad but other then that I dont believe there's a real case for him to go number 1 in any of those drafts, and this idea is simply over hyping him as a prospect. and he's a great prospect no doubt this isn't anything against him but I don't see the case myself. but please if you want to try and make a case would love to read it.

Agree. The bolded ones are the only real chance Marner has to be in contention for number one, with an outside chance of being number one in Hall/Seguin and Mackinnon draft. This pretty much proves that in a weak draft he would be in contention for number one, while in a average class he would be anywhere from 1-3. In a top heavy class, like this year, he would go from 3-5. Point is that he's a really good prospect with a chance of being an elite or superstar center/winger.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I couldn't, in good conscience, put Marner ahead of either MacKinnon or Hall. Not yet anyway :)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Something tells me this thread will be used as future ammunition to tell the rest of the boards how we have a first over all talent. We really don't need to be so insecure, he is a fine player, why does he have to be better than everyone else. it was sickening with Strome, now we take on the league ?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
mac, hall, marner, rnh and yak for me as well. although i suppose if we were only looking at draft year, i might flip hall for marner.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
mackinnon

hall

marner

nuge

yak

i think people need to be realistic about mackinnon vs marner. both are good, one is just better. regarding marner and hall i think it will be very difficult for marner to be as good as hall. hall is basically a ppg winger. his issue is he is injury prone. if hall plays 82 games he is a beast. marner has the potential to put up as many points im and possibly be better both ways + character wise but his weight and size could be a durability issue as well.

time will tell, bottom line it is fricken amazing that we have marner to go along with nylander and the rest of our toys.

jvr-marner-brown
xxxxx-kadri-nylander

^^^^ we need one big bodied lw and our top 6 will be filthy in a few years.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner and MacKinnon are ahead of the rest. Tough to choose between the two.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
You have to look at each year's top scorers versus their peers in the same season. Comparing across seasons doesn't tell you much. Hell, Darcy Tucker would be drafted ahead of all of them based on these simplistic criteria.

In any case, Mackinnon showed as much if not more raw skill than Marner in his draft year but has a bigger frame and was NHL ready. If you'd have drafted Marner ahead of Mackinnon...well, that's the Leafs board for you.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
MacKinnon
Marner
Hall
RNH
Yakupov

I think only the top 3 is worthy of discussion. MacKinnon was just the more dominate prospect. After that though I would take Marner in his draft year over both Hall and Seguin. He simply was better. People are going to be shocked at how good his all around game is if they haven't already seen it. At 5'11 is height is fine too, he just needs to put on weight.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Fact 1: The OHL produces the most high end forwards than any other CHL league.

Fact 2: You should always draft a comparable C over a similar W.

Fact 3: Play away from the puck is also important.

Taking in all of that.. My order

Marner/Mackinnon. Reasoning: Mackinnon played on possibly the most stacked team to ever dominate the QMJHL. He had fellow 3rd OA Drouin, Ehlers, etc all on his team. However he was very special, and his performance after being drafted shows this.

Marner didn't have nearly the same level talent to play with and was the better offensive player. OHL is a higher scoring league, so you can't use that as an end all comparison.

In the end I thin these two are a coin flip.

Hall Reasoning: Why after Marner? Well for one a high end C > high end wing. For two, One is a great two way player, the other is as one dimensional as Kessel.

RNH Possibly the worst 1st OA in a very long time if not for Yak. He has played with two superstar wingers on each side and failed to outproduce Bozak by any large margin. Throw in an average D game and average face off ability, and you get an all around average C. Perfect for your 2nd/3rd line, not a top end player.

Yak is last but may over pass RNH if he can become the gifted scorer he projected to be in the NHL.

So MacKinnon/Marner

Hall

RNH
Yak

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think even if Marner was more talented, more productive and better in the long run, Mack and Hall were more NHL ready and more hyped. So it would be difficult to pass on either.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Hall was awesome in junior. He was hyped just as much as Stamkos. Dude was money for team Canada as well. I think a lot are forgetting how good he was.

I'm a Mooseheads fan that thought Mackinnon was a beast, but Drouin impressed me just as much.

I'd have Marner behind Hall slightly, and behind Mackinnon, but ahead of Yak and RNH

Mackinnon
Hall
Marner

the rest

xyzz

Aug 18, 2008
Lol at people putting Marner ahead of RNH and Hall - established NHL guys.

McKinnon
Hall
RHN
Marner
Yak

i think the point is to take time out of the equation... if these guys were all available at the same draft (ie. the same age, and experience). who would you take?

you missed it.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Fact 1: The OHL produces the most high end forwards than any other CHL league.

Fact 2: You should always draft a comparable C over a similar W.

Fact 3: Play away from the puck is also important.

Taking in all of that.. My order

Marner/Mackinnon. Reasoning: Mackinnon played on possibly the most stacked team to ever dominate the QMJHL. He had fellow 3rd OA Drouin, Ehlers, etc all on his team. However he was very special, and his performance after being drafted shows this.

Marner didn't have nearly the same level talent to play with and was the better offensive player. OHL is a higher scoring league, so you can't use that as an end all comparison.

In the end I thin these two are a coin flip.

Hall Reasoning: Why after Marner? Well for one a high end C > high end wing. For two, One is a great two way player, the other is as one dimensional as Kessel.

RNH Possibly the worst 1st OA in a very long time if not for Yak. He has played with two superstar wingers on each side and failed to outproduce Bozak by any large margin. Throw in an average D game and average face off ability, and you get an all around average C. Perfect for your 2nd/3rd line, not a top end player.

Yak is last but may over pass RNH if he can become the gifted scorer he projected to be in the NHL.

So MacKinnon/Marner

Hall

RNH
Yak

quick note Ehlers never played on the same team as Mackinnon he came the year after.

also while top end center is greater then Winger at this point Marner played 90% of the year as a winger and it's far from close to being a gaurentee that Marner is a center. so that's not really a factor.

Hall also just finished leading his team to back to back Memorial cup championships, multiple time Mem Cup MVP and OHL playoff MVP, and was the best player on the Team Canada's World Junior team that I believe lost in the gold Medal game in OT. yes he was on a great OHL team compared to Marner, but he was the leader and top player on that team not only in his draft year, but the year prior to his draft year. his pedigree plus his size and build and without a doubt he goes before Marner, and I think Seguin would have two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad