Who Would You Draft First Overall?

glg51*

Given their respective draft years, statistically Marner has put up a higher PPG than previous first overall picks. Who would you take if all 5 were in the same draft?

Player|GP|Goals|Assists|Points|PPG
Marner|63|44|82|126|2
Hall|57|40|66|106|1.86
RNH|69|31|75|106|1.54
Yakupov|42|31|38|69|1.64
MacKinnon|44|32|43|75|1.7

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Marner
Mackinnon
Hall

RNH

Yakupov

Honestly, some people don't know how good Marner is. He's going to be among the very best in the NHL some day.

glg51*

Marner
Mackinnon
Hall

RNH

Yakupov

Honestly, some people don't know how good Marner is. He's going to be among the very best in the NHL some day.
We basically ended up with a first overall quality player. That fact that not only is he in the same conversation with these players but amongst the top of them is crazy.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Mackinnon
Marner
Hall
RNH
Yakupov

In that order.

This is pretty much my opinion on this thread as well. If I were going strictly on numbers Marner would be top but Mackinnon looked like a special player in his draft year and so far nothing he has done at the NHL level dissuades that. Hall and Marner is a coin toss for me...

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Mackinnon and Hall to me separate themselves, from this group imo then Marner is above RNH and Yakupov. Hall has produced above ppg the 2 season prior to this year which he was injuried all year and was expected to be that good with his build and skating there's no doubt he would go above Marner. Seguin probably would have too.

Mackinnon
Hall
Marner
RNH
Yakupov

also to say we got someone equivalent to a first overall imo isn't correct the only players Marner might have gone before in the last 10 first overalls would be RNH and Yakupov. that's pretty much it.

Edit: you could say that Marner probably would have been picked behind Drouin who imo has the higher skill level and had a better draft eligible season. so I don't even think Mackinnon is debatable

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Mackinnon
Hall
Marner
RNH
Yakupov

also to say we got someone equivalent to a first overall imo isn't corrent the only players Marner might have gone before in the last 10 first overalls would be RNH and Yakupov. that's pretty much it.

Nah, I think he's got a case over a few more than that.

Either way, if you are a better prospect than a few previous #1 overall prospects, then you belong in that definition.

glg51*

Mackinnon and Hall to me separate themselves, from this group imo then Marner is above RNH and Yakupov. Hall has produced above ppg the 2 season prior to this year which he was injuried all year and was expected to be that good with his build and skating there's no doubt he would go above Marner. Seguin probably would have too.

Mackinnon
Hall
Marner
RNH
Yakupov

also to say we got someone equivalent to a first overall imo isn't correct the only players Marner might have gone before in the last 10 first overalls would be RNH and Yakupov. that's pretty much it.

Last part doesn't make sense to me...

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Given their respective draft years, statistically Marner has put up a higher PPG than previous first overall picks. Who would you take if all 5 were in the same draft?

Marner|63|44|82|126|2
Hall|57|40|66|106|1.86
RNH|69|31|75|106|1.54
Yakupov|42|31|38|69|1.64

I'll take the guy with significant statistic advantage

6 more games played than Hall, 20 more points & 6 less games played that RNH 20 more points

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
The Marner love is out of control, my god.

Marner
Mackinnon
Hall

RNH

Yakupov

Mackinnon
Marner
Hall
RNH
Yakupov

In that order.

This is the very definition of being a homer. Claiming you'd take Marner over Hall. Marner will be lucky to be as good as Hall one day.

Marner is a distant 4th for me. Below Mackinnon, Hall and RNH.

glg51*

The Marner love is out of control, my god.

This is the very definition of being a homer. Claiming you'd take Marner over Hall. Marner will be lucky to be as good as Hall one day.

Marner is a distant 4th for me. Below Mackinnon, Hall and RNH.
Why are you looking at halls career. Its based on draft year. Look at the statistical difference... Its really not even close.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Why are you looking at halls career. Its based on draft year. Look at the statistical difference... Its really not even close.

Stats also tell us Phil Kessel is a borderline top-5 forward in the NHL most years, and we all know that isn't true. There's more to hockey than points and goals.

I didn't read OP, but I'd take Hall and Mackinnon over him definitely, and possibly still RNH, so my order is still unchanged.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Mackinnon
Hall
Marner
RNH
Yakupov

Nah, I think he's got a case over a few more than that.

Either way, if you are a better prospect than a few previous #1 overall prospects, then you belong in that definition.

not really because imo those 2 RNH, and Yakupov are not first overall calibre players there just happened to be a really weak year with no high end prospects. and the last 10 years first overalls are Ekblad, Mackinnon, Yakupov, RNH, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, Johnson, Crosby, Ovechkin. alot will point to EJ because he hasn't come close to fulfilling his potential after missing his entire 18 year old season due to injuries but he was scene as a franchise Dmen and went above alot of great prospects like Toews/Backstrom and Kessel. you could maybe debate Ekblad but other then that I dont believe there's a real case for him to go number 1 in any of those drafts, and this idea is simply over hyping him as a prospect. and he's a great prospect no doubt this isn't anything against him but I don't see the case myself. but please if you want to try and make a case would love to read it.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Stats also tell us Phil Kessel is a borderline top-5 forward in the NHL most years, and we all know that isn't true. There's more to hockey than points and goals.

I didn't read OP, but I'd take Hall and Mackinnon over him definitely, and possibly still RNH, so my order is still unchanged.

Funny thing is, Marner play without the puck is arguably the best out of all of them. He has a tiny frame which is why he's below some of them.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Hall
RNH
Marner
Mack
Yak

I really like nuges game, and hall has had an 80 point season.

I hope after a couple years Marner is at the top of my current list.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Marner|63|44|82|126|2
Hall|57|40|66|106|1.86
RNH|69|31|75|106|1.54
Yakupov|42|31|38|69|1.64

you also need to keep in mind that scoring is up this year in the OHL, both Hall and Seguin lead the OHL with 106 points in there draft year and were the only players to break 100 points the year they were drafted this year 9 players broke 100 points.

glg51*

Were you on Leafs Lunch earlier today?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
you also need to keep in mind that scoring is up this year in the OHL, both Hall and Seguin lead the OHL with 106 points in there draft year and were the only players to break 100 points the year they were drafted this year 9 players broke 100 points.

Is it that scoring is up or that skill is up?

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
He's statistically better than all of those players, points wise and he also is a work horse! I would take him over all those players and I don't really see why any of you wouldn't??

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Is it that scoring is up or that skill is up?

my guess is goaltending is weaker, they just institued the no Euro goalie's anymore in the CHL, and guys like Lablanc/Dvorak/Blandisi are posting similar numbers to what Ryan Strome put up in his post draft years, and I don't think any of those guys compare to Ryan.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Total Goals scored in the OHL 2009-2010, 4727 or 3.48 GF/Game/per team.

Total Goals scored in the OHL 2014-2015, 4766 or 3.50 GF/Game/per team.

(may missed a number here or there)

So in total there is a 39 goals increase or 0.02 GF increase from 2009-2010 to 2014-2015. Not a big deal, and it is impressive that Seguin and Hall were the only players to score a hundred. But if you check the top 20 or even top 40 scorers from this year, it was very top heavy that even out when you go down the list. Point is, Marner still had a impressive year that is comparable to other 1st OA players but the question is really does he project similar to first OA players or not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad